C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

PerTronix Ignitor III in T.I. Distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,994 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You can have all the performance you could ever use on the street with TI or even points. Why over think this. Just rebuild what you have that came with the car. If your not happy with it you can always sell it and get your money back
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 744 Likes on 294 Posts

I had a TI system in my 67. I found a spare tach drive distributor in my garage. I put the Pertronix in it and put the TI distributor in storage. The car runs perfect.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Blue71vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larrywalk
This is the inside of a GM TI distributor - it's a great unit which I've used for over 35 years in my vette:

The two wires exiting the distributor's magnetic pickup connect to the purple and green wires of my MSD box, or any other transistor ignition using a magnetic pickup. It works just like the magnetic pickup in an HEI distributor, but of course, does not include the amplifier. Alternately, if one is concerned about failure of any TI amplifier, any HEI 4-wire module will work with it as a backup. In fact, one can even replace the guts of the original TI amplifier used in the mid '60s with an HEI module in the same box and get modern reliability!

If you still want to get rid of this unit, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!
Larry, Great picture! I just picked up another stationary pole piece at Corvettes of Carlisle. I have started to restore it and will find out first hand how hard it is to realign the stars when reassembling. These old TI parts are awesome! I hope all is well with you. Greg
Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Cmaces
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zip Corvette has a nice package, sorry I can't insert image, but go to Zip's site, have a look at part numbers, m-3933 or m-3932 ( Tach drive dissy with Petronix III),m-3457 ( spak plug wires),E-578(Flame thrower coil) & m-2782 ( 90deg tack cable elbow and greaser).
I'm about to purchase these items for my 65 Vette.
Has anyone installed these or not recommend these items?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Cmaces

Zip Corvette has a nice package, sorry I can't insert image, but go to Zip's site, have a look at part numbers, m-3933 or m-3932 ( Tach drive dissy with Petronix III),m-3457 ( spak plug wires),E-578(Flame thrower coil) & m-2782 ( 90deg tack cable elbow and greaser).
I'm about to purchase these items for my 65 Vette.
Has anyone installed these or not recommend these items?
read up on and carry plenty of OEM stock parts so you can get your car home when they all fail.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I would skip the FlameThrower coil - they are known to have short lives. An Accel or MSD Blaster-II is the better choice.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Cmaces
Cruising

Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more research.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Cmaces
Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more research.
Run stock parts and your car will run anther 50+ years. All those fancy widgets do nothing but take your money
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 886 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
If you have everything except a good module they make reliable solid state replacements now. I believe I had the option of a stock replacement or doing what I did back when I restored my car in the early 90s.

OMG don't post stuff like that on here!!! Don't you know everything was done perfectly by the factory back in 1965 and can't be improved on by substituting modern components. There are a couple of regs on here that would probably have preferred a vacuum tube amplifier module if GM had made one.

Yes, get a modern replacement trigger module fit in an original TI amplifier housing if you want the car to be NCRS friendly.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Cmaces
Cruising

Thanks From Down Under Gents,

I'll probably get Zip's M-3933 Distributor repacement with pertronix III ignitor, as my Dissy needs a rebuild. I'll leave the rest as original and once my Dissy is rebuilt i'll keep it as a spare incase I break down. I understand there will be no performance or efficiency advantage with the Zip's dissy, but it will fit under my ignition shielding and hopefully extend maintenance interval..
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
darrahc
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I would skip the FlameThrower coil - they are known to have short lives. An Accel or MSD Blaster-II is the better choice.
Just to reiterate what Frankie said, I just recently installed the Pertronix III and got the MSD Blaster II coil because based on my conversation with Pertronix that coil was within their recommended resistance range and my car's been running fine.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Cmaces
Cruising

Thanks for the info Gents. After great thought I have opted to go with Crane Cams 750-1710 - Crane XR-i Points-To-Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit and Fireball PS20 or 40 coil after I have my Dizzy rebuilt. Crane's Xri kit has no magnetic pick up and a rev limiter which I'll use as insurance only (I'm not a racer) and is readily available in Australia.
I hate the thought of sending parts back and fro to the US. Plus there's a Crane Cam office in Australia.

Quick Reply: PerTronix Ignitor III in T.I. Distributor?