C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

upgrades to 63 vert

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Buttersvette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts
Default upgrades to 63 vert

My searching on items in past forums tend to stink and it is hard to find. I know this is probably been done before. I want (if possible) info on the following items. I would like direct bolt in and defiantly no welding modifications.

1. I would like a front disc BOLT on kit that includes dual master cylinder. I do not have power, but if it easy swap I will put on power brakes. I can do most stuff, but really don't want to make new lines if possible. I don't want huge brakes that cost a fortune and change my wheel fitment. I will have boze wheels 17x7.
2. Is there a collapsible steering column that is direct fit with no modifications. I really don't want the steering will in my chest if in accident.....drivers these days suck. I prefer a stock looking, don't need chrome.
3. LED bright lights that are a bolt in. I do not want to trim or mess with headlight buckets if possible.
4. 5 speed trans kit--for freeway driving (not safety) I want kit that has everything I will need. I have 3.70ish gears. Not sure of exact number, because turning axle is not exact.

My car is not number matching and never will be. So purists please don't cringe, I am not destroying a perfect car!! I know "safe" is not really relevant when driving a 63 vette, but every lit bit helps. I want to drive this car all year, it will not sit in garage.
Thanks for all your help in advance!!
Old 04-30-2019, 03:12 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

For brakes GM made them for you from 65-82
Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttersvette
2. Is there a collapsible steering column that is direct fit with no modifications.
No, and there isn't likely to be one, either - development and testing costs to certify the system to the MVSS requirements for each individual application are light years beyond the financial strength of any aftermarket company, and the legal/financial implications of selling a system that's not MVSS-certified are beyond your wildest dreams. Wear your seat belt and drive reasonably and defensively.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,547 Likes on 2,794 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Silver Sport Transmission for the complete 5 speed kit.

Stock ‘65-up brakes are excellent and cheap.

Bolt in leds are available.

You are sol on the steering column.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:43 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Depending on what you intend to do with the car, you are already on the right track by sh**canning the weak 63 transmission. Don't stop there if you ever intend to do any aggressive starts with sticky tires. The 63-64 rear end posi's are junk. IMHO.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
The 63-64 rear end posi's are junk. IMHO.
Very true and 65-68 posi's are not much better, 69-71 ok, 72-79 the best.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

One column that you could use and is collapsible is the 67 column. I have never done this but I think to adapt too the 63 would require a different rag joint, support bracket, cluster collar, turn signal wiring change and maybe some other items. Depending on blind luck cost might be as low as $1000 but plan on $1600+ if you do the work yourself. Couple of other safety items you did not mention were shoulder harnesses and head rest seats. If you wanted to go whole hog weld in the frame gusset at the rear kick up/#3 cross member and bolt the outer seat belt reinforcement to it as the factory did in late 64 prior to going with cables as 65 up have. Unless the frame has been changed, the inner seat belt reinforcements are already bolted to the #3 cross member.

Dual circuit master with front disk/rear drums will require a residual pressure valve (RPV) in the rear circuit within the master or in the line. Search the forum but I think a master from a 67 up Camaro/Nova is what others have used and it should have the RPV built in. You need to check for the RPV presence when you buy the master as I have read the re-builders may not have reinstalled a RPV. It is an easy check with a 1/8 drill bit done at the parts counter. You will have to add the front circuit line from the master to the distro block and plug the rear line port on the distro block. Then you will have to bend/twist and adapt your current rear line to the master rear brake circuit. Consider using one of the dual circuit kits the vendors offer especially if the front to rear brake line is original.

Get notified of new replies

To upgrades to 63 vert

Quick Reply: upgrades to 63 vert