C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 Chevrolet Corvette: Restoration Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
L

This statement alone is worth it's weight in gold in jimmies63 last post as far as this situation goes: "He is an avid speculator and would have known the history on the car and every number before moving on it." In otherwords it sounds to me like he knows Corvettes and now made a mistake over restoring a car and now wants to try and regain some of his losses by going after the previous owner.
BINGO!!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,156 Likes on 485 Posts

I think that most here are missing the bigger picture. If you note the post, it is from Corvette Mike.

So, what was the intent of the post?

Pretty obvious to me. "Buy from us or you may get screwed." (Note that in 7 pages of response, the OP has never chimed in again.)

But, in some respects, isn't this "The pot calling the kettle black?"

Many of us have had "less than steller" dealings with Corvette Mike and could provide plenty of examples of their "Tomfoolery."

For example, I bought a car from Mike that he had just taken in that week. The roadster had the # matching hard top when he got it, but he gave that to someone else.

When they restored the interior, they purposely put in the wrong radio (white vs pale green face) knowing full well what they were doing and would not replace it.

Also, they used the old seat foams that quickly deteriorated, (but charged for new).

Also they didn't return requested original parts when asked, etc.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Vipermike
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flamed01
Geez, your posts are so informative we have now gone from “everyone” and “anyone” to “someone” used as follows “I know someone who restored and sold cars to the injured party.” Oops, after deflecting stuff back to the owner who claims to be wronged throughout this post you refer to him now as the “injured party” If there is nothing to hide why the dance? If you were not willing to share the story why tell us you have the “scoop.” Truth is truth, where most of us come from. You told us you had the “scoop.” Was that post just an attempt to deflect something off of the “someone you know.”
My guess, based on reading between the lines on Jimmie's post and analyzing the known facts in the case, is that:

1. Mr. Ellis did change the VIN from a GA issued VIN back to the original VIN using a reproduction VIN tag.

2. Mr. Ellis verbally informed Mr. Ernst of the car's history upon selling it to him.

3. Mr. Ernst, fully aware of the car's history, presented it to NCRS judging hoping they would not detect the fake tag.

4. NCRS detected the tag.

5. Mr. Ernst, feeling hurt for not succeeding in pulling one over on the NCRS, blamed Mr. Ellis for all wrongs in this cruel world.

If this scenario is correct, then:

a) Mr. Ellis did commit a crime but did not act unethically in his dealings with Mr. Ernst.

b) Mr. Ernst didn't necessarily commit a crime but did practice unethical behavior toward the NCRS, Mr. Ellis, and the Corvette community as a whole.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmies63
I know someone who restored and sold cars to the injured party. He is an avid speculator and would have known the history on the car and every number before moving on it.
Guys I took that to mean the guy jimmies63 knew restored cars and sold them was an avid speculator and would have known. Not to be Ernst who owns the car. Sorry my bad.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

We don't know yet.

When I first posted on this thread, the first thing I wondered was if a person buys a Corvette from an auto collision body shop, and that buyer is a professional restorer who resells for profit, what would be the likely scenario?

The reproduction GM VIN plate is fake but uses the original GM VIN #.

The GM VIN # is that of this Corvette's original manufacturer VIN.

The title is clear, though rebuilt from recovered status from 1966-69.

Who would put on the reproduction VIN plate? An auto body shop, or someone else? Who would benefit from replacing the Georgia tag with the reproduction VIN plate?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

When I get to carlilse next year with my 63 I'll share the story over some cold brew. The facts are the guy is a local collector who flips cars. Fact the car has been here for a while and well-known as a ga recovered stolen vehicle among the collector community. That is why it was always cheap and flipped hands a lot ( I think 7 times). Rumor: he thought he could sell it in canada. Speculation, trying to recover some losses. No idea who or when the tag was changed but I could likely find out if I really wanted too but this is getting old!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Carlilse next year, its in 2 weeks dont keep us hanging
Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

My car is still in the shop! I feel like life is passing me by.....
Old 05-01-2019, 03:50 PM
Catherine Ellis
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all charges dropped

aii supposedly 9 felonies dropped, think they had a case? or did they just fabricate the charges to benefit there friend who noone wants to say is true???? think about it.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

7 year old thread, Cathy.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:50 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

But she has a interesting last name,

1. Mr. Ellis did change the VIN from a GA issued VIN back to the original VIN using a reproduction VIN tag.

2. Mr. Ellis verbally informed Mr. Ernst of the car's history upon selling it to him.

3. Mr. Ernst, fully aware of the car's history, presented it to NCRS judging hoping they would not detect the fake tag.

5. Mr. Ernst, feeling hurt for not succeeding in pulling one over on the NCRS, blamed Mr. Ellis for all wrongs in this cruel world.

a) Mr. Ellis did commit a crime but did not act unethically in his dealings with Mr. Ernst.

b) Mr. Ernst didn't necessarily commit a crime but did practice unethical behavior toward the NCRS, Mr

Please start a new thread with all the info , if you have it.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:08 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Catherine Ellis
aii supposedly 9 felonies dropped, think they had a case? or did they just fabricate the charges to benefit there friend who noone wants to say is true???? think about it.
Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
7 year old thread, Cathy.
Originally Posted by 67's
But she has a interesting last name,

b) Mr. Ernst didn't necessarily commit a crime but did practice unethical behavior toward the NCRS, Mr

Please start a new thread with all the info , if you have it.

Quick Reply: 1966 Chevrolet Corvette: Restoration Fraud