C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 AC Compressor Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
larvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1964 AC Compressor Rebuild

I have to have the original AC compressor rebuilt on a 64 coupe. Does anyone know who rebuilds these units? Thanks for any info.......
Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Classic Auto Air in Florida.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Classic Auto Air in Florida.
Also, Old Air Products in Forth Worth Texas also used to do this work. They still may.....and would be a second source.

However, I have heard that both companies cannot (or do not) do a full and complete rebuild. Some parts cannot be replaced and must be reused, and that others will be replaced with those from old cores, etc. Brand new parts are just not available anymore.

I would call and ask what you really will get from them on a rebuild. It is probably worth a first try, but if problems continue to develop you may try a new A6 unit instead. It depends on whether your car is being judged, or you just want reliable and cold AC.

Larry
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Also, Old Air Products in Forth Worth Texas also used to do this work. They still may.....and would be a second source.

However, I have heard that both companies cannot (or do not) do a full and complete rebuild. Some parts cannot be replaced and must be reused, and that others will be replaced with those from old cores, etc. Brand new parts are just not available anymore.

I would call and ask what you really will get from them on a rebuild. It is probably worth a first try, but if problems continue to develop you may try a new A6 unit instead. It depends on whether your car is being judged, or you just want reliable and cold AC.

Larry
True enough, both companies give you new case seals and a new shaft seal. (Confirm they will use a ceramic seal.) If the "gutpack" shows evidence of abnormal wear, they install a good used unit from one of their cores. There's about an hour of labor involved, including cosmetics, based on my experience in doing several A6's.

Now, there is a gentleman over on the NCRS site (Dominic T.) who is actually doing complete rebuilds with new rings he's having made. Don't have any personal experiece with his work, but he clearly knows what's going on inside an A6.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
True enough, both companies give you new case seals and a new shaft seal. (Confirm they will use a ceramic seal.) If the "gutpack" shows evidence of abnormal wear, they install a good used unit from one of their cores. There's about an hour of labor involved, including cosmetics, based on my experience in doing several A6's.

Now, there is a gentleman over on the NCRS site (Dominic T.) who is actually doing complete rebuilds with new rings he's having made. Don't have any personal experiece with his work, but he clearly knows what's going on inside an A6.
I have steered a few (NCRS) folks that way. Not certain that Dom wants or needs a full time AC rebuilding business. However, folks can go over to the NCRS site and see for themselves.

Larry
Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 AM
uncle427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A/C Compressor rebuilding source

I have used Domenick to rebuild a number of these A-6 compressors, he is in my opinion one of the most knowledgeable guys anywhere on these. He goes thru EVERYTHING. Works flawlessly and without leaks ever. Not the cheapest guy out there but how many times does one want to do this?

Very detailed and can even do your repo label dating as he has an old IBM typewriter set up to do it.

I could not be happier, and he is one great guy to deal with!

He is located in Palm Springs, CA.

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 AC Compressor Rebuild

Quick Reply: 1964 AC Compressor Rebuild