C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Heater Core leak in my '61

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Blacksburg Hokie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heater Core leak in my '61

Noticed some leaking of antifreeze under the car by the heater location. Pulled back the carpet under the heater and I have a leak coming from the heater box. I am assuming it's the heater core.

Did a search for replacing the heater core but found mostly post on mid years. Anyone have any helpful input for replacing the heater core in my '61?

Thanks!
Tim
Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

It's no fun... First off make sure you buy a top quality heater core....a few years back there were reproductions clamshelled together with some sort of hi-temp epoxy...they were good for about two seasons. You want them built just like a radiator. Plan on replacing the heater control valve and all those little right angle hoses up under the dash along with the long heater hoses (BTW those two long hoses are DIFFERENT sizes). The new heater control valve will most likely NOT have the long silvery 'capillary tube' that used to be used to regulate temps. They are now considered unnecessary. You can either snip yours off at the old valve and curl it up (which is what I did) or completely remove it. If a car is judged it has to have it though.

They make rebuild kits for the whole heater box with new foam and rubber seals and you may as well do that while you are under there as well. I see nothing in the ST-12 on heater removal so I'm assuming it's in the '61 Passenger Car Manual.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Blacksburg Hokie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any special tools I will need?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Heater Core

No special tools needed. Actually the C-1 is the easiest Corvette heater core to change. If you have a local radiator shop most can re core your part for less money with a day turn around and it's good as new. If you buy a new one just watch to make sure you don't get one of the chinese junks. Good luck Rich
Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'll disagree.

If you want to use the original heater hose clamps then invest in a nice set of Corbin clamp pliers. Those clamps go in darn tight places under the dash and without the special pliers you'll fight getting them on and never be sure they are secure. Get the pliers with the swiveling heads...anywhere from $8-$12...
Old 07-28-2012, 04:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'll disagree.

If you want to use the original heater hose clamps then invest in a nice set of Corbin clamp pliers. Those clamps go in darn tight places under the dash and without the special pliers you'll fight getting them on and never be sure they are secure. Get the pliers with the swiveling heads...anywhere from $8-$12...
Like these.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Replacing the heater core isn't too difficult, but can become very expensive. When I gutted the interior in my '62 earlier this year to replace the heater core (and the carpet that it ruined), one thing led to another and the car is now in primer. It is currently back home, sitting on my lift, with no suspension or brakes....spent the day detailing the the chassis yesterday, and will be doing the same today (and probably a few nights this week!). Gotta get it cleaned and back together so it can go back for paint. So what started as a heater core/carpet replacement has become a major update!!

Good luck, and as others have said, buy quality and do it once.

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Core leak in my '61

Quick Reply: Heater Core leak in my '61