C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

c1 door striker mounting plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
wcotton@bathfitter.c
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Default c1 door striker mounting plate

http://i47.tinypic.com/otowwj.jpg

looking for help in sourcing the mounting plate that holds the door lock striker in place on a 56 corvette.

Body shop couldn't remove the seized screws and cut the piece out

thanks
Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

That's a shame the shop cut that out, it was not necessary. It could have been removed from the rear if the gas tank was pulled. Anyhow, from here, your original plate can most likely still be saved. Drill out the screw heads to get the latch off and apply some heat to the screw studs while holding them with a Visegrips and they will come out. Mine took quite a bit of heat to remove so you want to do this on the bench. Pilot Dan
Old 07-25-2012, 05:39 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Not good. There are several ways to get that stuff out without doing that. Make sure that those guys now know that the location and thickness of that repair are critical to door/body alignment. Also, if it's not done correctly, it will crack the first time that you close the door. If it's too thick, or you need a combination of shims, then the screws won't be long enough. These are special screws with a 5/16" fine thread, and a very small phillips head (1 5/8" max). The replacement cage and nut plate are available from Grossmuellers Corvette
1-800-258-5362.

Mike Coletta

Last edited by mike coletta; 07-25-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

That really sux! I would make sure they don't do any more surgery with a chain saw.....
Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 AM
wcotton@bathfitter.c
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the replies / suggestions - I make sure they don't repeat the process on the other door.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by wcotton@bathfitter.c
thanks for the replies / suggestions - I make sure they don't repeat the process on the other door.
Then you would have a matched set of screwed up doors. Mike's the man, he's seen it all and is an expert on undoing the damage that others have done. It wouldn't hurt to have an experienced/capable Corvette person monitor the remainder of the process carefully now that you know their "workmanship" .
I would be thoroughly P^&&&D if anybody did that to my baby. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To c1 door striker mounting plate

Quick Reply: c1 door striker mounting plate