C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

60 Corvette Rear Shock Stud Broke Off - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
63splitter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 60 Corvette Rear Shock Stud Broke Off - Advice Needed

On my way home from the Syracuse Nationals, my left rear shock decided it did not want to ride home any further and dropped to the road. Went back and found it and it still had the stud in the lower part of the shock. The shock plate had a 1/2 hole where that stud had been welded into it. I ordered 2 new shocks after reading the thread about everyone's favorite shock choice and these came with a stud that goes through the shock plate and you'd put a nut on the rear side of the shock plate to hold it on instead of welding either the old one or a replacement one. Here's the question.....should I just weld the old stud back on or use the new (and it looks safer) set-up that came with the shocks? If I use the new set-up I'd have to find a way to remove the welded in stud on the passenger side. Any thoughts? Originality vs. function seems to be the issue here.

Thanks guys,

Rick - Erie, PA
Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'd go original...but then that's my thing.

Those welded in studs are NOT fragile by any means...you are the first person I've heard of that's broken one. So I think they are actually safer than an aftermarket bolt supplied by the shock manufacturer..

While you are under there check the little tabbed round plates that support the bottom of the FRONT shocks...now THOSE are notorious for cracking (and available in repro form). Both of mine had to be replaced....but they are cheap and easy to install.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-24-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 PM
63splitter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks AGAIN Frankie

I should have known you'd come to my rescue again. Thanks for this reply and helping me through my breakdown while I was at the show. I was able to get the gorilla spring back on once I had the replacement bracket oval.

Taking your advice, I just ordered a new weld-in stud. I will remember to check the front shocks too.

You're awesome!!!!

Rick
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

No problem. I only know this stuff cuz I've broken everything on my '61 at one time or another

Get notified of new replies

To 60 Corvette Rear Shock Stud Broke Off - Advice Needed

Quick Reply: 60 Corvette Rear Shock Stud Broke Off - Advice Needed