C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ported vs Unported Vacuum for the Distributor - Why Not Have Both?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:31 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by troutster71
Ported Vacuum = above the carb throttle plates - zero vacuum at idle - vacuum only when accelerating

To: Babbah - You're not really sure how ported vac works, are you?

Todd, good for you for thinking out of the box, but like Lars, I think something

has changed. Not many miles, but alot of gas fumes...

Cheers, GA
Look up "ported vacuum" on the net - You will get this explanation:

"Full vac port is where the port/nipple is below the throttle blade. You have full vac on these ports at idle and as you floor the throttle the vac goes away."

"Timed or ported vac ports are above the throttle blades and has no vac on it at idle but as you throttle up, it draws a vac."

Which is exactly what I wrote above........

Last edited by babbah; 07-22-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Todd -
Since you advanced the timing a little, and since you probably have a 17-degree vacuum advance control unit on your distributor right now, the California gasoline may be causing you a little bit of erratic behavior with all that advance at idle. I'll custom build you a 12-degree vacuum advance control unit that will match your engine's requirements. E-Mail me your address (along with a reminder of how much vacuum you're pulling at idle) and I'll send you a nice unit that will fix the problem.

Lars
V8fastCars@msn.com
Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I'm sorry but what are the disadvantages of just going with an adjustable vacuum advance? I run one on both my '61 283 ad '67 396.

Not being a wise guy just seeking some knowledge!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:12 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Todd -
Since you advanced the timing a little, and since you probably have a 17-degree vacuum advance control unit on your distributor right now, the California gasoline may be causing you a little bit of erratic behavior with all that advance at idle. I'll custom build you a 12-degree vacuum advance control unit that will match your engine's requirements. E-Mail me your address (along with a reminder of how much vacuum you're pulling at idle) and I'll send you a nice unit that will fix the problem.

Lars
V8fastCars@msn.com

Thanks Lars. PM sent.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:16 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'm sorry but what are the disadvantages of just going with an adjustable vacuum advance? I run one on both my '61 283 ad '67 396.

Hi Frankie - What adjustable vacuum advance Can are you running on the 396?? Brand? model#? Thanks Bro!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

By using different weight springs, mechanical limit tabs and this vacuum can you can dial in nearly any advance curve desired:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/31034/10002/-1

My '61 283ci/270HP engine is 12* initial timing; goes to 36* at about 2800 RPM (all in mechanically) and the vacuum can is adjusted to add another 12* on top of that for a total of 48*. A near perfect curve for an SBC per Lars's writings...

I'm still tweaking the 396 in the Chevelle but hope for similar success...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-23-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
Thanks Lars. PM sent.
I seriously hope you didn't really "PM" me after me asking for an e-Mail:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...results-2.html

See response #34.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by troutster71
Ported Vacuum = above the carb throttle plates - zero vacuum at idle - vacuum only when accelerating
You're not really sure how ported vac works, are you? Cheers, GA[/QUOTE]

That's EXACTLY how ported vacuum operates.

http://www.camaros.org/pdf/timing101.pdf
Old 07-23-2012, 04:26 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
I seriously hope you didn't really "PM" me after me asking for an e-Mail:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...results-2.html

See response #34.
Was e-mailed. I guess I use PM as generic for contact off-line.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 PM
snydes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was running one or Cranes adjustable VACs, the only problem I found was that when adjusted to the minimum setting it would take 11" of vacuum to pull it in, which is fine if that meets the requirements of your particular engine. If your engine has less than that at idle then it may not be a good choice. Again this was a Crane VAC, another manufacturers unit may be different.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:15 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Usually doesn't change the AMOUNT of vacuum advance just the rate.

What total advance do you have on the Corvette at idle ??
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When setting timing we must consider that we don't have the same gas as was available in the 60's. Less octane and energy. So the factory set up will only be a starting point
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by QIK59
Not true.

The total amount of advance is adjusted with a Vacuum Timing Limiter (at least the Crane unit does).

Per the Crane instructions:

The adjustment made through the vacuum port of the Adjustable Vacuum Advance Kit cannister adjusts the rate of vacuum timing change as engine vacuum changes.

Adjustments made with the adjustable Timing Limiter will change the amount of that vacuum timing.

You can see it included with this listing on Summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-99601-1/

Also available separately:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-99619-1/

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-23-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Not true.

The total amount of advance is adjusted with a Vacuum Timing Limiter (at least the Crane unit does).

Per the Crane instructions:

The adjustment made through the vacuum port of the Adjustable Vacuum Advance Kit cannister adjusts the rate of vacuum timing change as engine vacuum changes.

Adjustments made with the adjustable Timing Limiter will change the amount of that vacuum timing.

You can see it included with this listing on Summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-99601-1/

Also available separately:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-99619-1/

Plasticman
Yep the forum is still the same as when I last left it in disgust.
Every time you post ; some one has to show how much more they THINK they know then you.

Key word plasticman in my response to FF was "usually".

I addressed FF's question re adjustable vacuum CANS - most vacuum cans DO NOT LIMIT AMOUNT OF VACUUM ADVANCE.

The only adjustable vacuum advance (that I know of) that has a vacuum advance limiter is the Crane KIT ; which includes a Mickey Mouse little piece of metal that you ***** around with to limit the travel of the pull rod.

I don't really need the links to Summit et al as I have one (Crane 99601) in my stock of vacuum advance units for direct reference.
Actually earlier this evening I tried it on my Sun Distributor Test machine just to see what it's range of rate adjustment was.

Frankie said how the Accel unit worked so well for him - reason for my question as to how much total advance he see's at idle with it.

Last edited by QIK59; 07-23-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

You make an incorrect statement and then get corrected, then have a hissy fit.
Sorry for upsetting you with a fact.

Plasticman
Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Plasticman
You make an incorrect statement and then get corrected, then have a hissy fit.
Sorry for upsetting you with a fact.

Plasticman
Man I can't believe it ! I was wrong twice in one day !
Here I thought illiteracy had been eliminated in the deep south ?!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by QIK59

What total advance do you have on the Corvette at idle ??
I don't remember the total advance at idle QIK....I'd have to hook the dial back light up again to recheck. I DO know the car runs phenomenally well for a lil 'ole 283ci. The car is on full manifold vacuum so I'm sure that affects idle advance but can't say right off the bat how much.

I researched the Accel adjustable vacuum advance before purchase and it does indeed change the amount of advance you can watch it move each time you tweak it. My '61 pulls a solid 17" of vacuum at idle which is plenty to activate the can.

The instructions also show 3 different advance curve charts showing how many turns of the adjustment screw provide how much advance depending on the engine's base vacuum...and those are actually quite close to what I experienced in tweaking things.

The point of my original question was why have Lars build a vacuum can with a custom, static curve when adjustable cans are around for $25 ?? Maybe the adjustables have a higher failure rate, aren't original looking enough, don't fit on some distributors, etc... Pure curiosity.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-24-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ported vs Unported Vacuum for the Distributor - Why Not Have Both?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

I have an Accel adjustable on mine and it works very well. The lowest "cut in" vacuum that you can get with it, however, is about 5.5 in-hg, which is not quite as low as the 4 in-hg that the VC1810/B28 begins to deploy at. I idle mine at 1100 to maintain the "2 inch rule".

There is no need for a "custom" vac advance can, unless you're looking for originality.

I have the Accel rate graphs for posting if anybody's interested.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
You're not really sure how ported vac works, are you? Cheers, GA
That's EXACTLY how ported vacuum operates.

http://www.camaros.org/pdf/timing101.pdf[/QUOTE]

John I believe I've always understood how each type works, but know I see why manifold vacuum is the better choice. Thanks.

Now for a question. When I used to run manifold vacuum. My exhaust gases would burn your eyes and people would complain. I've seen no cooling issues either way. So I'm guessing my issue was air/fuel ratio? With Ported vacuum it just seemed to idle and smell normal? Now I do have the mechanical set @ about 12-14 BTDC as a low.

Currently I run no vacuum advance with the blower. I'm afraid I'll rattle it and break a piston.

Thanks for the great article.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't remember the total advance at idle QIK....I'd have to hook the dial back light up again to recheck. I DO know the car runs phenomenally well for a lil 'ole 283ci. The car is on full manifold vacuum so I'm sure that affects idle advance but can't say right off the bat how much.

I researched the Accel adjustable vacuum advance before purchase and it does indeed change the amount of advance you can watch it move each time you tweak it. My '61 pulls a solid 17" of vacuum at idle which is plenty to activate the can.

The instructions also show 3 different advance curve charts showing how many turns of the adjustment screw provide how much advance depending on the engine's base vacuum...and those are actually quite close to what I experienced in tweaking things.

The point of my original question was why have Lars build a vacuum can with a custom, static curve when adjustable cans are around for $25 ?? Maybe the adjustables have a higher failure rate, aren't original looking enough, don't fit on some distributors, etc... Pure curiosity.
Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
I have an Accel adjustable on mine and it works very well. The lowest "cut in" vacuum that you can get with it, however, is about 5.5 in-hg, which is not quite as low as the 4 in-hg that the VC1810/B28 begins to deploy at. I idle mine at 1100 to maintain the "2 inch rule".

There is no need for a "custom" vac advance can, unless you're looking for originality.

I have the Accel rate graphs for posting if anybody's interested.
Thank you guys !
I am going to respond and continue this thread on the previous "Vacuum Advance Can" thread which I believe is more appropriate to the current discussion.
Jerry

Quick Reply: Ported vs Unported Vacuum for the Distributor - Why Not Have Both?