C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question on who to buy from and trust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Default Question on who to buy from and trust?

I'd like to one day soon get into a C2 vette and would like to know, who do you trust to buy a vette from? What I mean is, which corvette dealers out there have the best reputation? I'm not fluent in C2 codes and problem areas, but I do read up as much as I can here on the forum or books and internet. I'd just like to make sure I dont make an expensive mistake.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:44 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

My advice would be to buy from a private party and have an experienced midyear Corvette guy assist you with the inspection of any car you are serious about buying.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:15 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by capevettes
My advice would be to buy from a private party and have an experienced midyear Corvette guy assist you with the inspection of any car you are serious about buying.
BINGO
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Dealers,even long time dealers do not usually drive the cars that they buy to sell much if at all.Let a lone putting the car on a lift.And contrary to public perception most do not know much about what is original and correct on these cars.They do however know what sells and what price they will bring and how to get that price.
I am not so sure that buying from a private party is a necessity either. I have found that many owners do not know as much about their car as you would think.Even long time owners are not aware of things like previous restamps,body repairs,color changes and rust.To most of them these cars are their babies and have no blems.It is a must though to have a very knowledgeable person do an inspection prior to purchase.Good luck with your search.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Dan J
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

PM sent
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
I'd like to one day soon get into a C2 vette and would like to know, who do you trust to buy a vette from? :
I'm also casually looking at C2s. Ebay has nice cars, but I don't trust sending a large amount of money to someone I don't know, for a car I didn't inspect.

I think the best bet is to find a C2 for sale from a long time owner. This way you know how he maintained it. A short-term owner may be flipping it because there is something wrong with it.

A recent NCRS Top Flight award winner is a good purchase, because it's already inspected and is in original condition. It's aslo easier to sell if need be.

If I buy from a dealer, it will be a Corvette dealer with a good reputation. I've heard good things about Conte Corvette's in NJ, but I personally never dealt with him.

http://www.contes.com/ccvlist.htm
Old 07-21-2012, 10:58 AM
pullin-gs
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to one day soon get into a C2 vette and would like to know, who do you trust to buy a vette from?:
Only have trust in yourself or trust in a 3rd-party C2 expert of your choosing.

The one time I bought from a dealer some of the problems that the car had were not revealed. I saw them, but the price was fair and I wanted the car, so I got it anyway. I got lucky also....I was expecting a total C2 rear suspension rebuild and all it needed was re-torquing of the fasteners (they were loose). I do not think the dealer even knew about the issues to be honest about it. I would buy from them again.

Pay for a C2 guy.....it will be the best money spent, and you will learn a ton of accurate information about the car you buy.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 AM
78Hokie66Vette
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

If there is a local Corvette club - join it. There will be many people familiar with C2's and they not only can teach you about what to look for, but can help you with inspections.

Years ago searching for my C2, I looked at close to 30 cars - some I wasn't really interested in, but every visit taught me something new. Most Corvette owners/enthusiasts are happy to bring new folks into the fold and have good information/experience to share.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:06 PM
jchez7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do as much study as you can (your own trust is the best, unless a good knowledgable friend is looking for you), never buy a car on Ebay sight-unseen, and have a local, well known/respected 'expert' from a club, etc, check the car out prior to purchase. Good luck; still looking myself.
Of course, getting a recent NCRS Top Flight car wouldn't hurt
Old 07-21-2012, 02:28 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

A recent NCRS Top Flight award winner is a good purchase, because it's already inspected and is in original condition. It's aslo easier to sell if need be.

You still need a pro to look it over , It would be very easy to replace a lot of the rare and expensive parts with aftermarket stuff and sell the car with the paperwork . That is an old trick in this market . They keep all the good stuff and move on to another car that they use the parts to get " Top Flighted " and sell .
Get yourself an education before you buy. And when you think you know it all have an expert check it out before you make the deal .

Bill
Old 07-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm not sure why purchasing a Top Flight car would guarantee anything..
Old 07-21-2012, 02:37 PM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 07-21-2012, 05:45 PM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Dealers,even long time dealers do not usually drive the cars that they buy to sell much if at all.Let a lone putting the car on a lift.And contrary to public perception most do not know much about what is original and correct on these cars.They do however know what sells and what price they will bring and how to get that price.
I am not so sure that buying from a private party is a necessity either. I have found that many owners do not know as much about their car as you would think.Even long time owners are not aware of things like previous restamps,body repairs,color changes and rust.To most of them these cars are their babies and have no blems.It is a must though to have a very knowledgeable person do an inspection prior to purchase.Good luck with your search.
....So, don't buy one at all?
Old 07-21-2012, 05:50 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by tjschraf
....So, don't buy one at all?
Certainly buy one just know what you are buying or have someone who does know what they are looking at before any purchase no matter who the seller is
Old 07-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
I'm not sure why purchasing a Top Flight car would guarantee anything..
There are no guarantees, but at least you know what the car was at the time of the judging.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks guys. As much as I would love to get a top flight car, it wouldnt be any good to me. I would love to drive it every chance I got without having to worry too much about it. Not saying I want a basket case, but I'd like a very good, correct driver with all matching numbers. Its got to be reliable mechanically.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:45 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

I never understood the hate for dealers. (no Im not a dealer) I've bought several cars from private parties, and several cars from dealers. The inspection process is the same. The value assessment is the same. The car is what it is. If the dealer price is too high, don't buy it. Same as you wouldn't buy it from a private party.

I'm not overly impressed by some personal owners' stories. Believe it or not, some of them are lies. Long-time ownership and documentation is nice, but not critical.

The keys are: Never ever buy a car unseen. Never believe ANYONE (dealer or private party) about numbers. Check them yourself. (or ask someone who knows what they are doing to check for you) Although, a dealer is more likely to stand behind the "guarantee" of correctness than a private person is. And, if possible, always bring someone with you, most especially if you are not qualified to look at numbers, check for rust, and examine for body damage. And especially if you are not familiar with the model/year you are looking at.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on who to buy from and trust?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:51 AM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne88
I think the best bet is to find a C2 for sale from a long time owner. This way you know how he maintained it. A short-term owner may be flipping it because there is something wrong with it.
Originally Posted by provette67
Certainly buy one just know what you are buying or have someone who does know what they are looking at before any purchase no matter who the seller is
Not saying I want a basket case, but I'd like a very good, correct driver with all matching numbers. Its got to be reliable mechanically.
These cars can become a money pit and even the most thorough inspection can overlook minor issues that can cost
$$$ if you're not mechanically inclined.
Take all the above advice, get a knowledgeable forum member (there's at least one in every state) to look over the car,
put it on a lift and test drive it. The $200 or $300 is well worth it, trust me.
Good luck with your search.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 AM
JohnNC
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by anyChevy
These cars can become a money pit and even the most thorough inspection can overlook minor issues that can cost
$$$ if you're not mechanically inclined.
Take all the above advice, get a knowledgeable forum member (there's at least one in every state) to look over the car,
put it on a lift and test drive it. The $200 or $300 is well worth it, trust me.
Good luck with your search.
Thats kind of expensive, if I knew what I was doing I
wouldn`t charge anything for a forum member. Maybe
a tank of gas??
Old 07-22-2012, 05:36 AM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnNC
Thats kind of expensive, if I knew what I was doing I wouldn`t charge anything for a forum member. Maybe
a tank of gas??
Some "professional" inspection companies charge $350 and you end up getting a "Ford guy" inspecting you vette.

Quick Reply: Question on who to buy from and trust?