C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 FI Corvette Convertible Value

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 PM
sy2873
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1963 FI Corvette Convertible Value

Hi guys. I have a question regarding the value of a 1963 all original FI convertible. I know of the car through a buddy but have yet to see it. From what my buddy says, it has "very low miles," is an all original car, has a 4 speed, would not take much to get it running, is green with black guts, and been in their family for many years. Since money is getting tight, they may be willing to sell it. In essence, this is a barn find as it is not advertised and all through word-of-mouth. I know price may vary greatly. I guess it is not a basket case and a rust bucket. But, one man's version or original may not be accurate. I would love opinions of rough value as a project or complete car in need of restoration. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:08 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

In this case, documentation would be key to determine it's full potential.

Is there any documentation available?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by sy2873
Hi guys. I have a question regarding the value of a 1963 all original FI convertible. I know of the car through a buddy but have yet to see it. From what my buddy says, it has "very low miles," is an all original car, has a 4 speed, would not take much to get it running, is green with black guts, and been in their family for many years. Since money is getting tight, they may be willing to sell it. In essence, this is a barn find as it is not advertised and all through word-of-mouth. I know price may vary greatly. I guess it is not a basket case and a rust bucket. But, one man's version or original may not be accurate. I would love opinions of rough value as a project or complete car in need of restoration. Thanks.
As you state the exterior color is green the all original feature kind of goes out the window. Green wasn't offered on 63 Corvettes from the factory. That's one of the reasons I had mine painted green.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 AM
sy2873
Cruising

Thanks for the responses guys! I truly appreciate it! Good call with the originality/green issue. The guy that has told me about this is not a car guy. It may be green or it may be some color very similar to green. Until I see it, I am doing a ton of guessing! If the owner throws some radically low/high number at me, I will need to be ready to jump ASAP. I just wanted to set my benchmark as to what was realistically a good number for both of us. As for documentation, I will say he has none. Knowing this guy's family, they are not "car guys." Apparently, the owner had $10-15k to start on the Vette and was going to spend it on dolling up the car with steel braided lines and a ton of extras. On a whim, he went and bought a Mercedes and is now buried in it. So, it looks like the car will sit for a long while or need to be sold. Thanks again for all the comments!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Does it have the FI with it/in it?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:29 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Pleeeeeeez.....not another *barn find* proclaimation.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:14 PM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a number from the potential seller, then find a local person with knowledge of C2 Corvettes to check it out for you. It will pay off well for you.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:21 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I would love opinions of rough value as a project or complete car in need of restoration. Thanks.
Need pictures and more details in order to provide estimates. Otherwise you are going to get a range of values so wide as to be unable to draw any conclusions from it.

If the guy was planning on making it better with braided hoses, then I'm glad he bought a Mercedes instead.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:19 PM
sy2873
Cruising

Thanks for the responses guys. I know more details are needed for a solid estimate. A few random things I should mention:
1. I talked to my buddy who told me about the car at work today. It was bought brand new by a buddy of his who passed. He promised my friend's brother the car if he were to sell it. Well, the car was given to him in his will. So, it is a two-owner car.

2. I learned the original color was yellow. It still has all original interior, everything in the engine compartment is untouched (including the FI unit) as is the tranny. Essentially, the only thing done to the car was one repaint from yellow to green.

3. I know there are many new guys that come on to the site claiming to have a hidden gem, barn find, the holy grail, etc. RestoMike, ease up a little. I am not one of those guys. I have owned true barn finds, such as an all original 1963 tanker car with a window sticker, 1957 FI Vette, 1964 L84 car, etc... Based on "word-of-mouth," this car is original with the exception of paint, has been stored in a shop/barn for the duration of its life, and has not been driven in 20+ years. I guess my question for you RestoMike is what does it take for YOU to consider it a barnfind? I do not mean to stir things up. But, if I do not have anything productive to say, I will not say it.

Thanks again to those who have spent your time trying to help me. I apologize for being so vague. I guess I will need to see it before I can pass on information.

Last edited by sy2873; 07-21-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:20 PM
sy2873
Cruising

BTW Jeff, I completely agree with your analysis!!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I'm not mistaken I don't think any 1963 Corvette had "build sheets". Did you mean the original invoice or window sticker on the Tanker?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 PM
sy2873
Cruising

Good call...it is the original window sticker. I will edit my post. I wish I still owned that car! It is still untouched and now in California! It has not ran in MANY years!

Last edited by sy2873; 07-21-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 145 Posts

I learned the original color was yellow. It still has all original interior, everything in the engine compartment is untouched (including the FI unit) as is the tranny
I would be careful as you proceed.
There were NO yellow '63 Corvettes.
So, that would make me question the other aspects of the car.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 PM
iluvhockey
Advanced

Yellow in any shade was not a factory color in 1963. Get a photo of the trim tag and we can tell you more and the orginallity

Last edited by iluvhockey; 07-21-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I learned the original color was yellow. It still has all original interior, everything in the engine compartment is untouched (including the FI unit) as is the tranny. Essentially, the only thing done to the car was one repaint from yellow to green.
Wow... A very rare '63 in yellow, a one of one produced, and a fuelie to boot.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 PM
sy2873
Cruising

Again, I am going by what my buddy told me. It is simply word of mouth. Maybe it is not a FI car. Heck, maybe it is a Gremlin. I HAVE NOT seen the car! My negligence before posting was not studying color numbers as I did not know the color. However, even if I did study color numbers, it would not alter what I have been told!

I understand some of you want to help while others may think this is a sham. Either way, I am seeking an opinion on what I was told the car is. Feel free to mock the car outside of this thread as I do not have anything personally vested. I was/am simply trying to gather data on this site before I talk to the owner. If he wants huge money, this has been a waste of time. If he offers up the car for $10k, I was hoping some information from experts on this site could help guide my decision.

I am a car guy but will NEVER claim to be an expert on any one type of car. This is why I came here. I know I rarely post and may be perceived as another new guy who is dumb. Please, if you have nothing productive to add other than pot shots, please move on as I am trying get some rough idea of value based on what I am TOLD about the car.

I am sorry my information has not been as accurate as I would have liked. Keep in mind, my information is coming from an amazing guy but definitely NOT a car expert! I thank you to those who have advised me to check out the trim tag and proceed with caution. I definitely will not jump in without knowing what I am getting. If it gets to the point where I see the car in person, I will GLADLY post pictures and ask all of you for your opinions as you definitely know more than I do! Thanks for your help.

Last edited by sy2873; 07-21-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:22 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm not saying it's a sham... just don't believe everything the owner tells you about the originality of the car. This is a very good place to get imformation on what is right, and what may be wrong the it. Good luck, and if you can get any pictures it's a big help.

Bruce

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 FI Corvette Convertible Value

Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 145 Posts

I follow the market for '63s very carefully.
Unfortunately, you do not have enough information at this time to determine an accurate value.
If the Green '63 has it's ORIGINAL "RF" engine, matching the Vin tag, the value is probably someplace between 35K and 65K (a very wide range) depending on the condition and originality of the rest of the car.

If the Original FI engine is gone, the upper end of that price range does not apply.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Sy
it just makes no sense that you would be asking people here on the CF for opinions on the value of an all original, two owner, low miles 63 convertible fuelie. You have owned a 63 tank car (probably also a fuelie) and a 57 fuelie, and a 64 fuelie. You have already owned several rare and valuable vettes and according to you all barn finds. And you have been a member of this forum six years. How can you not already be fully versed in the value of these cars? You have a knack for finding rare vette barn finds. There is no rational reason for you to need our help to know if you should buy if this car is offered to you for say $10K. Something is fishy here.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having previously owning a 63, you already know what to look for in general terms about them. That is check all the places where rust invades/hides, build date from C2 Birthday calculator, then coord. that with casting dates of the block, serial no. on the F.I. Unit, trans. and rear axle, VIN derivative on the block stamp pad, and the trans. along with the engine assembly date alongside the VIN derivative on the stamp pad.
Check out several previous threads written through the years specifically what to check when inspecting a purported original Fuelie. Radiator support, holes in driver's fenders well, position of Fuel Injection badge on the fenders, tach, distributor data plate, position of clamps on the air cleaner, steel vs. ABS "S" Tube and on and on. Noland Adams Restoration Guide is a good place for further info, but I would plow through some of the older threads on the Forum that have lots of specifics from the experts that post here. That's what I did initially and it was a big help. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1963 FI Corvette Convertible Value