C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Brake Caliper Question

Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake Caliper Question

Let's join along with the adventures of a low functioning idiot as he tries to maintain his late father's '65, shall we?

Background: When I got into the car a few months ago (before getting it to Michigan), the brake pedal went to the floor. No problem, I figured that over the time it had sat (~4 years), that was bound to happen.

I checked the master cylinder and all the fluid was gone. No big deal, with the lack of muscle strength my father had when he did it (Lou Gherig's disease), I'm guessing that he either didn't get the lines tightened down enough *or* the calipers themselves are leaking. When I had a failed attempt (long story involving a jack failing to lower the car) to bleed the brakes, the front calipers were leaking the fluid I put into the MC. I know I need to replace the brake shoes as they've been drenched in brake fluid, and I plan on doing that ASAP.

I am not sure if the front calipers were ever replaced - I have a record for "new" rear calipers from VA Vettes (in 2003-2004 ish). I'm sure he rebuilt the front calipers though.

After that long and meandering background: Is there a way to determine if calipers are ss sleeved without pulling them apart (i.e., will the part number on the calipers provide any hints)?

Apologies in advance if this is an easy question. Please bear with me as I'm learning to properly wrench on this thing.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

In a word- no. You'll have to disassemble them to verify if they are presently SS sleeved or not. Note that no calipers came from the factory with sleeves, this is an aftermarket thing only.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Brakes

There is no way to tell if the calipers have been sleeved unless the vendor left a stamp on the caliper. Most would not. It is very simple to determine if they have been sleeved. Disconnect the brake line, break the two bolts that hold the caliper together, remove the two bolts holding the caliper to the mount and remove the caliper. Since you already loosened the bolts holding the caliper together, separate the halfs and remove a seal and piston. You should see a sleeve if so equipped. I am a big fan of O-ring pistons. The whole kit with new pistons cost under $150. I have done about 5 cars with no problems. Jerry
Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

A possible way (not 100% positive) would be to see if the calipers numbers on the outside occur later than 1965, would would likely indicate a possible switch out later in the cars life.

So 65 first designs are 546#### or 549####
67 second designs are 545####
72 third designs are 547####

I had the same problem on my 67, and I saw that my calipers were the third design. I pulled them apart to confirm the sleeves, but may lead you in the right direction.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the advice, I figured that would be the answer.

I got the front calipers off. I may have an explanation why one of the front calipers was leaking...

You're looking at the outboard side of the left front brake caliper. The pad on that side was soaked, the inboard pad wasn't.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:23 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tossin
Let's join along with the adventures of a low functioning idiot as he tries to maintain his late father's '65, shall we?

Background: When I got into the car a few months ago (before getting it to Michigan), the brake pedal went to the floor. No problem, I figured that over the time it had sat (~4 years), that was bound to happen.

I checked the master cylinder and all the fluid was gone. No big deal, with the lack of muscle strength my father had when he did it (Lou Gherig's disease), I'm guessing that he either didn't get the lines tightened down enough *or* the calipers themselves are leaking. When I had a failed attempt (long story involving a jack failing to lower the car) to bleed the brakes, the front calipers were leaking the fluid I put into the MC. I know I need to replace the brake shoes as they've been drenched in brake fluid, and I plan on doing that ASAP.

I am not sure if the front calipers were ever replaced - I have a record for "new" rear calipers from VA Vettes (in 2003-2004 ish). I'm sure he rebuilt the front calipers though.

After that long and meandering background: Is there a way to determine if calipers are ss sleeved without pulling them apart (i.e., will the part number on the calipers provide any hints)?

Apologies in advance if this is an easy question. Please bear with me as I'm learning to properly wrench on this thing.
At this point I don't see where it makes any difference if the calipers are sleeved our not. Since they are leaking they need to be replaced or rebuilt. If you decide to rebuild them, you'll find out if they are sleeved at that point and if you decide to replace them, there is no sense in taking them apart.

If you decide to rebuild them, the O-ring conversion kit is the way to go.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I got the front calipers off. I may have an explanation why one of the front calipers was leaking...

You're looking at the outboard side of the left front brake caliper. The pad on that side was soaked, the inboard pad wasn't.

[
thats chipped insulator is not the reason for your leak, you are looking at the dust boots, the seal is lower down on the piston. push the piston down, use a flat blade screw driver to pop the metal part of the dust boot out and off. then post another picture.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Those appear to be 1st-design calipers - note the insulator pads attached to the pistons with phillips screws; chances are that they haven't been sleeved (rebuilders routinely machine out the 1st-design piston guides from the caliper bores and use the 2nd-design pistons in all the calipers).
Old 07-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
At this point I don't see where it makes any difference if the calipers are sleeved our not. Since they are leaking they need to be replaced or rebuilt. If you decide to rebuild them, you'll find out if they are sleeved at that point and if you decide to replace them, there is no sense in taking them apart.

If you decide to rebuild them, the O-ring conversion kit is the way to go.
Oh I agree. I'm more wondering about the rear brakes than anything else. I figured I'm going to either rebuild or replace the fronts (with O-rings).

Originally Posted by redvetracr
thats chipped insulator is not the reason for your leak, you are looking at the dust boots, the seal is lower down on the piston. push the piston down, use a flat blade screw driver to pop the metal part of the dust boot out and off. then post another picture.
Here ya go.

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Those appear to be 1st-design calipers - note the insulator pads attached to the pistons with phillips screws; chances are that they haven't been sleeved (rebuilders routinely machine out the 1st-design piston guides from the caliper bores and use the 2nd-design pistons in all the calipers).
Thanks, John!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:21 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

pull the piston out
Old 07-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

pull the piston out
Caliper:

Piston:

Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Brakes

First design, no SS inserts. They are getting harder to find. If at all possible, I would see if they could be sleeved without cutting the bottoms out. Jerry
Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

they look original to me but just to be sure look at the bottom of the bore just above the fluid passage, see a line all the way around? no = not sleeved, yes = sleeved. they should be #546 castings
Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
First design, no SS inserts. They are getting harder to find. If at all possible, I would see if they could be sleeved without cutting the bottoms out. Jerry
they look original to me but just to be sure look at the bottom of the bore just above the fluid passage, see a line all the way around? no = not sleeved, yes = sleeved. they should be #546 castings
They are 546 castings (the right front caliper are 546 castings as well). I have a box of old parts, included in it are the original rear brake calipers (546 casting). I'm assuming these are the original ones to this car as well. I think I may just clean them up, place them in the box and replace with new. I doubt I'll ever want to take it back original, but it will be nice to have them just in case.

I pulled the rear calipers, and the pistons look different (547 castings on both). I know Dad replaced both rear calipers when he was working on the '65.

Thank you for your help. I know I sound like an idiot, but I have to learn somehow, right?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

#547 castings were used from 73 to 82, pop a piston out of a rear and compare the front and rear bores, you should see a difference, if the rears are sleeved you should easily be able to clean them up and install o-ring pistons.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

#547 castings were used from 73 to 82, pop a piston out of a rear and compare the front and rear bores, you should see a difference, if the rears are sleeved you should easily be able to clean them up and install o-ring pistons.
Thanks. I'll get that done. I'm thinking I may actually just send (drive) the old calipers to Muskegon Brake to be sleeved. It'll cost just as much to get new...
Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Calipers for sale on Forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...ipers-f-s.html

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Caliper Question

Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I like the O-Ring kit (not lip seals). The bores may be servicable as is. Clean them with scotchbrite, then finish with some 1500 grit. If there is no pitting you may be good to go.

Now that you have all the brakes off, you should pull the MC, flush and reseal. Blow the hard lines clean with alcohol and compressed air.

Then service with silicone break fluid.

Last edited by ghostrider20; 07-28-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 PM
AdamH65
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This is exactly the thread I needed to find!

Sorry to hi-jack but I have pretty much the same issue.

From the info I read here, it looks like I have the 3rd design calipers front and back. Like the OP, my pads are soaked and brake fluid pours out around the pistons. Aside from new pads, what do I need to clean this mess up? A lip seal repair kit or an O-ring conversion kit?

Thanks!

I posted pics of what I have in my gallery.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good thread! Thanks for the detailed descriptions and images.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Question