C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

silly C2 caliper(s) rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Default silly C2 caliper(s) rebuild

Have a stock 67 L79 vert. I swear I either rebuildt the orig calipers with SS hardware or purchased a SS set maybe 15-18 years ago, but my memory is off.

So fast forward, the right front caliper is leaking. I cannot find any paperwork from 15-18 years ago. The markings on the front caliper reads:

#473796 DELCO MORAINE 289

Can anyone decode this. Is this aftermarket? Should I buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it, send out for repair, or buy new and send recore. Any way to know if I have SS internals or not (I think I do as all of them where leaking in the early 90's

I am not NCRS crazy, but as all of my largest and medium part numbers match, I would not mind rebuilding the old ones or having them rebuilt.

WHat do you suggest/recommend.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Brakes

I would take the calipers apart to see if they have been sleeved. Before I had impact tools, I would always break the bolts on the calipers before I took them off the car. If they are sleeved, I would order an O-ring kit and rebuild the brakes myself. The kit comes with new pistons. I have done about 5 complete cars and have had no issues. Since the rubber lines are at least 15 to 18 years old, I would replace them as well. I use Vette Brakes and Products for the kits. They are local for me and the last kit I bought was under $150. They will also rebuild yours. I would give them a call. Lastly, do a search on the C-2 and C-3 forums on this topic. There is a ton of great info here. Jerry
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

#547 caliper castings are not original to a `67 so the chances are good you already have sleeved calipers, new pistons (lip seal or o-ring) and some corresponding seal kits and you should be good for another 10-15 years

Get notified of new replies

To silly C2 caliper(s) rebuild

Quick Reply: silly C2 caliper(s) rebuild