C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Re-paint black and white cross flags in nose emblem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM
CP64365
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-paint black and white cross flags in nose emblem

The nose emblem on my 64 coupe has a couple bad white checker paint regions on the nose emblem. Has any one repainted theirs, and if so, what paint brand and code did you use. I might as well ask for codes for both the black and white checkered regions. Thanks.

Dave
Old 07-16-2012, 01:19 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

I used Testor's model paint. Comes in very small bottles and you can get it at a hobby store or most anywhere that carries models to assemble. Use a very fine brush artist's brush and it should turn out fine. Dave
Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Same here. I thoroughly cleaned off all the old paint by soaking in lacquer thinner. Make sure you record whether your top checker is black or white (don’t know about ’64 but it made a difference in my ’66). Be generous with the paint and let it flow. I found it better to thin it out a little with LT. Keep it neat and clean up any smudges with a tooth pick once it dries.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:16 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think "One Shot" lettering enamel would be more durable. Pin stripers and sign painters use it. Testors would be a good choice though too.
Bruce
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CP64365
The nose emblem on my 64 coupe has a couple bad white checker paint regions on the nose emblem. Has any one repainted theirs, and if so, what paint brand and code did you use. I might as well ask for codes for both the black and white checkered regions. Thanks.

Dave
Great question Dave.

To those that answered: What is the color code(s) used for Black, Red, White?

It seems the color of the flags can be critical when judged.

I have heard a tootpick works well as a dropper to let the paint flow (self-level). Anyone try this method?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I repainted the 50 yr old original emblem on my '61 using a super small detail brush from Langra that I had around: http://www.langka.com/fine-tip-brush-p-38.html. Smallest brush I've ever come across. It worked perfectly.

Get notified of new replies

To Re-paint black and white cross flags in nose emblem

Quick Reply: Re-paint black and white cross flags in nose emblem