C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

This is what can happen while on a cell phone/texting when driving!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default This is what can happen while on a cell phone/texting when driving!

An acquaintance of mine who owns a restoration/body shop was doing a test drive of a GTO which was nearing final restoration (happened Tue).
A kid in a Toyota pickup, TEXTING, never touched his brakes. The kid had insurance and there were 4 witnesses that stopped and will testify. Of course, the kid denied he was texting.

This Ram Air 442 is some of his work (The Chevelle is mine).

TURN YOUR DAMN CELL PHONES OFF WHILE DRIVING, OR, PULL OFF THE ROAD TO USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Parsons
Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 PM
dirkdaddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch!! That insurance check is going to be bigggg one, still Id rather have the GTO. Dang, that sucks. Hope the text was a good one. Oh and prefer the classic paint on your car, the Olds is a bit much unless you like that sort of thing.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Dayum, not cool. Love that GTO.

Is that vinyl graphics on the Olds?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:35 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

THAT'S JUST "FN" SICKENING...
Old 07-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

Even the best driver is defenseless from being hit from the rear by a distracted individual. All you can do is wear your seat belt and pray. The texting thing has gotten out of control in these parts. It's illegal here in NJ to text and drive, but I see little being done to enforce it
Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries, Texting's days are numbered. Our culture has completely underestimated teenager's preference to avoid the slightest amount of extra effort & physical labor over their fear of engaging in one on one personel interaction. Texting will eventually take its proper place as a mere fond memory of yesteryear's whimsical fads, right along side WasteBook and countless others.

Besides, they've found a way to actually speak and hear through them now at just the touch of a button, making communication light years faster and more efficient (some scientist named AG Bell), If'n y'all could point me toward that IPO.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,628 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I hope your buddy was OK. That looks like it could do some serious whilplash or worse to someone.

It makes you wish they would put scramblers in cars that make it impossible to get cell phone (and 3/4G and WiFi) reception when the car is in motion - but I can hear all the complaints from housewives and business men now.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I hope your buddy was OK. That looks like it could do some serious whilplash or worse to someone.

It makes you wish they would put scramblers in cars that make it impossible to get cell phone (and 3/4G and WiFi) reception when the car is in motion - but I can hear all the complaints from housewives and business men now.
There have been several times when I've observed women talking/texting on their cell phones and I honk and tell them to put down the phone. The women just flip me off!!! The men get indignant and/or ignore me. I once got a cop (off duty) to pull over and I read him the riot act for texting during 5pm traffic. Man, was he hot!!! As soon as I got home, I called his supervisor and explained the whole event, gave him the cop's name and badge number. Three days later the cop's chief called me, told me that he had a "visit" with the cop and now the cop has a better understanding about not texting and driving. I must admit that the whole time I was chewing the cop's *** out, I was terrified, but I just hung in there.

Tom Parsons
Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Ohhhhh.....My NECK, aughhhhh! : >>>>

My Brother's 72 442 ragtop is just like that one.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Distraction is anything that takes away from concentrating while driving. I'm pretty sure that driving while distracted in any form- texting, eating, reading a map, etc., is against the law! It's stupid to individually name a distraction by name- that leaves the ole loophole.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:31 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

That is terrible! Im sure the text was super important. I recently bought a new, safer car with side air bags because i have almost been hit by people texting several times in the past year.
I saw a girl just yesterday blow through a traffic light that was red at a major intersection without even tapping her brakes. fortunately, the people coming off the interstate saw her coming and did not pull out. She stopped at the next light, but i dont think she ever realized that she ran through other traffic light.

Years ago, when i was on the way home from picking up a puppy, a girl rolled her brand new 4runner in front of me. This was before the days of texting and just when smaller compact cell phones became popular. The girl was fine, although she rolled her 4runner 3 times. what caused her to wreck, she was typing her moms number into her phone, so same thing as texting, more or less.

several of the cities surrounding my area have made it illegal to text and drive. if you get caught, it is a $500.00 fine. Granted, it will be hard to prove that someone is texting, but still, its a step in the right direction.

Last edited by 65silververt; 07-13-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:43 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

All smart phones have GPS capabilities now. I wish they would pass a law that says that cell phones must not operate if they are moving more than 5-7 mph.

We have the technology to make that happen tomorrow, but I guess not enough people have died yet. Just telling someone not to do it, can never work. We have to take it out of the individuals hands because 8 out of 10 will find a way if they are left a way.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:46 PM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Hope the guy asked the LEO to look at the guys phone to examine the time of the texts on it.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 PM
1974purchase
Racer

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Even the best driver is defenseless from being hit from the rear by a distracted individual. All you can do is wear your seat belt and pray. The texting thing has gotten out of control in these parts. It's illegal here in NJ to text and drive, but I see little being done to enforce it
i was rear ended in the first six months of owning the car (before cell phones). it was a car load of young men in their dads' cadillac. it does not take much to be distracted. i read recently that just talking on the cell is equal to driving at .08 alcohol. when i take my car to the local friday night show i ask my son or wife to follow me.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John
All smart phones have GPS capabilities now. I wish they would pass a law that says that cell phones must not operate if they are moving more than 5-7 mph.

We have the technology to make that happen tomorrow, but I guess not enough people have died yet. Just telling someone not to do it, can never work. We have to take it out of the individuals hands because 8 out of 10 will find a way if they are left a way.

I shudder to think what an older corvette (and the occupants) would look like after a hit like that from the pickup.

Geez, put the phone down for Gods' sake!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

... I wish they would pass a law that says that cell phones must not operate if they are moving more than 5-7 mph. ...
Hmmm! I don't know about that, KC- We have enough laws on the books. It's time to enforce the ones we already have.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:35 PM
1974purchase
Racer

do not wait for the insurance companies to do anything about it. the more accidents, the more profit.

Get notified of new replies

To This is what can happen while on a cell phone/texting when driving!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

For all the problems texting, etc. causes that sounds like a law most folks could live with.

Man o' man that GTO got clobbered
Old 07-13-2012, 05:55 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Man, that really sucks...

But it does allow one to see all the really thick 'paint' on the car.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:38 PM
zardun
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

KC John - You might give your rule a little more thought. This weekend we were coming down from the mountains and we ran into a bad stretch of traffic. My son went to his smart phone, checked the traffic conditions and we altered our route appropriately. Very helpful. He also was our personal DJ running the music from his phone through our system. Fortunately, we like the same kinds of music.
The law - we seem to have so many of them - might work if you could enable your phone after crossing your heart and swearing you were not driving. Then we can work on another law for iPads and GPS systems enabling only voice operated systems etc, etc, etc,.

Last edited by zardun; 07-13-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: I am referring to KC John

Quick Reply: This is what can happen while on a cell phone/texting when driving!