C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Advice on a Coolant Recovery Tank for 67 L71

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 PM
dgale914
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a Coolant Recovery Tank for 67 L71

Hello all,

So, first of all I know a coolant recovery tank wasn't factory for the 67 L71 435hp 427, nor was an expansion tank. However, despite originality I want to install one anyway. I drive this car (as it should be driven) and want to improve the cooling system because it gets in the low 100's F here in Sacramento, Ca. and the car pukes coolant on the ground when it gets on the warm side.(as it was designed to do from the factory)

The stock copper and brass radiator is on the shelf in a box and the new Ron Davis crossflow aluminum radiator is now sitting in it's place. The next thing to add is a small & descrete coolant recovery tank that looks to be period correct or will be hard to detect in the all stock engine compartment.

All that said, I'm looking for someone that may have already found or mounted a coolant recovery tank (plastic or metal) that doesn't look out of place in the compartment, or can be somewhat hidden. It needs to be easily removed as well as the car is bone stock with 54K miles on it and I don't want to add any mounting holes anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Doug
Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM
snydes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I took mine to the track I had a zip tied an old quart bottle to the core support (to meet track requirement) as just a catch can. Not really what you want for the long term though. I've heard of guys using the SB's expansion tank but that requires holes and that is out of the question on a car like yours. Perhaps you could come up with a alternative method of mounting?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

if its puking coolant don't you think you have it over filled
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I have never had the need for an expansion tank on either of my 427's, but the holes for the expansion tank mounting straps are already on the inner fender even on big block cars. They were filled from the factory but could easily be used to mount a small block expansion tank for a factory-appearing installation.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
I have never had the need for an expansion tank on either of my 427's, but the holes for the expansion tank mounting straps are already on the inner fender even on big block cars. They were filled from the factory but could easily be used to mount a small block expansion tank for a factory-appearing installation.
most people when looking at a BB car look for the holes in the inner fender where the coolant take should be on a SB car. if the holes are tampered with the cars integrity will be in jeopardy
Old 07-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The aluminum expansion tanks fitted to some small block Corvettes are not suitable to be used as coolant recovery tanks without considerable modification- there's better alternatives from the Summit and Jeg's etc catalogues. I think it's pointless to add a recovery tank, but it's not my car.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:14 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 251 Posts

Anyone know why the engineers did the BB's this way? It seems like a No-Brainer to take advantage of about 50 sq in of unused cooling capacity. Any downside other than originality?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The 'air space' inside the rad doesn't take away from the heat rejection capabilities, so there's nothing to be gained other than adding more liquid to the system.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

look closely at the block off above the battery and the fitting connecting the bottom of the tank.....the upper hose goes to atmosphere.....
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on a Coolant Recovery Tank for 67 L71

Quick Reply: Advice on a Coolant Recovery Tank for 67 L71