C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie shifter rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

Default Muncie shifter rebuild questions

The link to the Corvette magazine Muncie rebuild article from Barry's site doesn't work any longer. I can't find anything good on Youtube either. Anyone got a good article link? I'm not looking for a show piece, just a functional spare shifter so I'm reusing what I can.

1) The reverse stop screw is welded in but it appears to be in the right place. It worked fine when it was in the car.

2) This is listed as a "Shifter Reverse Lockout Pin" on a couple sites. I can't find one on mine. Or, is that what is welded in place?

3) This is what is being used as the lock out rod. It looks like it was made from a piece of used heavy gauge copper wire. (New one ordered)

4) How is this rod attached to the T-Handle? It was just bent over at the top. Is this correct?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

6T7,

On my '64 Coupe the ORIGINAL reverse lock out rod was held in place with a small set screw in the "T" handle. The Corvette Central rebuild kit included a "T" handle with the reverse lock out rod with a crimped top end to hold it in place. It works and looks fine. Only the discerning eye (NCRS) would notice the difference.

The reverse lock out stop screw is correct as welded in place.

I don't know what the "Shifter Reverse Lockout Pin" is.

Look at Corvette Central's (4) Speed Shifter Repair Kit (Part# 532018).

Wolfman
Old 06-30-2012, 10:54 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfman64
6T7,
Look at Corvette Central's (4) Speed Shifter Repair Kit (Part# 532018).
Wolfman
That picture and others make it appear the rod is protruding a ways out the top of the T-handle. How do you determine which reverse interlock to use, 5/64 vs 7/64 in the kit? Do you use a certain feeler gauge between the levers?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

6T7,

I do not know the difference between the 5/64" and the 7/64". The Corvette Central kit with the new interlocks and deformed washer removed all the play between the shift levers on my assembly. I did not use a feeler gauge. The protrusion on the top of the reverse lock out rod fits under the threaded chrome shifter ball.

Wolf
Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
The link to the Corvette magazine Muncie rebuild article from Barry's site doesn't work any longer. I can't find anything good on Youtube either. Anyone got a good article link?
PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you my article on the Muncie shifter rebuild.

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie shifter rebuild questions

Quick Reply: Muncie shifter rebuild questions