C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Do barn finds exist?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:57 PM
newguy1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do barn finds exist?

G'day all, Just got back from a little trip up Nort ya know. My dad and I were going out in the boonies to look at an old Chevy C60 for sale.

We stopped at the gentleman's place and looked at the truck and went to find him. He yelled at us to come on in. Well, wading through all the parts and "stuff" I realized I was walking past a black 64 with a hard top on it. I was quite surprised to even see it with all the stuff piled around it.

We got into the next room and there was a primered 66 coupe, not quite as buried. A big block coupe that had been off the road since 1971. It was in sad sad shape as it had an engine fire.

I know it's just a newbies story without pictures but I am going up again in a week to get the truck so I will try and get pictures.

ms
Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 AM
gary6672
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I found this 66 in a shed in Tennessee! And bought it! you should have heard what my wife said

Old 06-24-2012, 04:08 AM
GeoffM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newguy1 welcome to the forum , you certainly have an interesting way of making an entrance , there will be plenty of questions heading your way, hope you share the experience.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Those pics made me wonder if anyone has ever used a fire retardant sealer/coating on the body before painting. Do racing Corvettes use this technology? What fire does to fiberglass is devastating. :
Old 06-24-2012, 07:40 AM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Those pics made me wonder if anyone has ever used a fire retardant sealer/coating on the body before painting. Do racing Corvettes use this technology? What fire does to fiberglass is devastating. :

I remember a few years ago someone brought a C3 to sell at Carlisle that had burned. Looked like it had an afro. I remember a picture of it made it into either Vette or Corvette Fever
Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by newguy1
G'day all, Just got back from a little trip up Nort ya know. My dad and I were going out in the boonies to look at an old Chevy C60 for sale.

We stopped at the gentleman's place and looked at the truck and went to find him. He yelled at us to come on in. Well, wading through all the parts and "stuff" I realized I was walking past a black 64 with a hard top on it. I was quite surprised to even see it with all the stuff piled around it.

We got into the next room and there was a primered 66 coupe, not quite as buried. A big block coupe that had been off the road since 1971. It was in sad sad shape as it had an engine fire.

I know it's just a newbies story without pictures but I am going up again in a week to get the truck so I will try and get pictures.

ms
How far up Nort was it? Like Nort?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey

I remember a few years ago someone brought a C3 to sell at Carlisle that had burned. Looked like it had an afro. I remember a picture of it made it into either Vette or Corvette Fever
Ya, they really don't do very well in a fire........

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 06-24-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

and that's why we carry fire extinguishers.....
Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 PM
gary6672
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

They are repairable though....

Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do Barn finds exist?? Naa!! I think I dreamed this
Old 06-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Yeah, they are still out there, here is one I bought.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 PM
newguy1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
How far up Nort was it? Like Nort?
G'day, We were just a bit on the US side of the border. I did have my spouse's cell phone along but I am kind of dull minded when it comes to the 21st century. So, no pictures. Sorry, I know the drill, no pictures it didn't happen. I was just so excited about seeing the cars that I had to share.

My dad and I are planning on going out again next Saturday after we haul some parts out to the farm. I can almost spit into Manitoba from the farm. After we finish that we are going back to the fellow's place to purchase at least the Chevy truck he has for sale. I think we will pass on the Fords even though they are less than scrap price.

I will get pictures of the cars when we are there again. The car that had the fire does have a big block in it but I don't know if it is correct. He said that it was originally a bb car. The body appears to be fairly good. It didn't have the burned fiberglass look but it had been cut for fender flares.

ms
Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 PM
newguy1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Newguy1 welcome to the forum , you certainly have an interesting way of making an entrance , there will be plenty of questions heading your way, hope you share the experience.
G'day, I have posted some on the C3 forum as I was looking for a cross member for my 78. My friend had "borrowed" my cross member as my car was and is a basket case and had not returned it. As expected I guess.

Anyway, I will be glad to share what I find out about the cars and I will definetly get pictures. Now, if I can figure out how to post them is another story. I will have to have my more technical savy better half post them for me.

ms
Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 AM
GeoffM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitch, have a look at the stickies on the C1-C2 forum front page , to see how to post pics, or refer the better half to the sticky.did you ask the gentleman if he was interested in selling the Vettes , you mentioned 3 cars,there will be some here keen to find out.
If only we had barns with Corvettes in them in OZ
Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Welcome to the Forum!

Sure they exsist! I know of a relatives barn in Arkansas. He's got 20+ pre-55 cars. Everything from a 39 Ford coupe many 4 door Studebakers,2 Studebaker trucks, 55 Packard etc.. All unrestored. I am now trying to figure the best way handle it.

If they were Vettes? I wouldn't be trying to figure out what to do with them.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 06-25-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:36 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Here's one I found a couple years ago about a mile from my house. In this garage for 30+ years.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
HeyMark
Supporting Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello New Guy. Welcome to the forum. Does the owner want to sell the big block coupe? Please advise. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:44 PM
newguy1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Mitch, have a look at the stickies on the C1-C2 forum front page , to see how to post pics, or refer the better half to the sticky.did you ask the gentleman if he was interested in selling the Vettes , you mentioned 3 cars,there will be some here keen to find out.
If only we had barns with Corvettes in them in OZ
G'day all,

There were only two cars. The 66 was a big block car that had its engine fire in 71. I couldn't really nail the fellow down whether he really did want to sell them or not.

I am going back up next weekend with the digital camera to get pictures of some of his Fords for my blue oval buddies. I will try and get a definitive answer on selling the cars and prices if so. I do plan on buying the C60 truck and a couple of the engines so that may grease the wheels to get him to sell. He had IH truck engines, Ford engines, and a bunch of Chevy stuff. He offered me a bbc 396 for a $100 so we will see what happens.

ms
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Does it count if you put it in there?

Get notified of new replies

To Do barn finds exist?

Quick Reply: Do barn finds exist?