C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Zaino Power Plus

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino Power Plus

Just putting this out for the Corvette family:

My 2008 C-6 Corvette was in a crash last fall at the racetrack therefore there was no insurance involved. Though I was skeptical about having it repaired, Tom Zaino, who owns Power Plus Auto in Staten Island convinced me that he could do the repairs and even had all the parts needed in his possession. As I soon found out, that was an outright lie. My car was in his shop for 3-1/2 months and no parts ever materialized, only excuses. Yet he took three cash payments from me in the amount of $10,000 within 2 weeks. In my opinion, he lied about the parts just to get the keys and my commitment to do the job. Once the vehicle was dismantled (in spite of me asking him not to do so until he had the parts) he threatened me that my car would sit idle in his shop unless I gave him more money. That was not part of the contract. Since no progress was ever made after all this time, I had no choice but to have the car towed from his shop. I am fighting to get my money back. He even sold one of my rims which was worth $1,100 without consulting with me. My advice to anyone considering this shop is to go somewhere else. This guy will schmooze you to death with one lie after another. I truly believe that he never intended to repair my vehicle. So don't fall for his nice guy persona. I have never done anything like this before but felt so strongly about the unethical dealings of Tom Zaino that I wanted to warn others of his lies and trickery, especially the Corvette family. He was referred to me by a personal friend, so I let my guard down a bit and never expected this to happen.

Last edited by wmjosjr; 06-20-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 PM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Shame that life's lessons and experiences are so painful but glad you shared so other can avoid a repeat. Hope you get your money back.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

He's not the Zaino wax person is he?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by aafadca
Sal Zaino is the owner of the Zaino polish company and is a class act . Don't know if this guy is related to him or not. Tough situation for the OP. Didn't I see this posted elsewhere at least once?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Tom is his brother.

Tom is a customer at my parts store. No other comment.
Joe
Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by KS69Coupe
Thanks for the heads up. Shame that life's lessons and experiences are so painful but glad you shared so other can avoid a repeat. Hope you get your money back.
To the OP thanks for the post and hope it works out for you man. I just hate AZZ holes like this doing stuff like this.Robert
Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going through a similiar situation myself. Wanted to get my 63 painted.Did my reasearch, found a 'competent and "reputable" shop. Estimate was 13K and 6 months. I'm now alittle north of 22 K and18 months and I still don't have my car.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ren
Going through a similiar situation myself. Wanted to get my 63 painted.Did my reasearch, found a 'competent and "reputable" shop. Estimate was 13K and 6 months. I'm now alittle north of 22 K and18 months and I still don't have my car.
Unbelievable it went this route. .. Not expecting a reply. Just wondering how could this happen. .. Same with the OP.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:46 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Some of the additional $ and time might be justified. The car was worse than I thought. Painted five different colors over the years. Enamel over laquer as well as laquer over enamel.Body work included bondo, rivets and screws. He took it down to the original fiberglass.Installed new rear quarter panels. To me, nothing justifies a year and a half. He could have done the car for free and I still would hve trouble with a year and a half. It just got to a point where he had me over a barrell. There aren't many guys in Northeast Pa. that do Corvettes and once it was stripped and apart, my only options were letting him finish or getting a flatbed and a lawyer. 2nd option may have taken longer than the first.
The nitwit called me on Tues. and said that he finished putting color (black) on the car. Still has to finish the clear coats.As of this afternoon, the clearcoat wasn't finished. I hope to have my car back by Christmas. I was reallylooking forward to haveing the car re=painted. This A++hole took all of the joy out of it. Given me more nightmares than 13 months in Vietnam.
Although I haven't seen the finished product, what I have seen looks outstanding. It's been an extremely frustrating experience.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:52 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Unfortunately this exact scenario is way too common among body shops. You get the song and dance about how great a job they'll do, they want a large deposit, you leave your car and the deposit, they take your car apart and/or strip the paint, they tell you it's going to cost a bunch more money for one reason or another or for no reason at all, you complain that wasn't the deal, they push your car outside and tell you tough ****... come get your car if you don't like it. Now you've got a disassembled/stripped car and they've got your money.

Been there, done that... twice. The second time it was even worse because to add insult to injury, they held the car for ransom for even MORE money... yep, they said I couldn't have my car back until I paid them more, and if I didn't pay they'd file a mechanic's lien to get the title.

About the only thing you can do is file a lawsuit against them. Been there, done that too, and it worked.

The lesson is to thoroughly check out any shop you plan to do business with. Check with the the Better Business Bureau for complaint history. Ask for references and call them. Check with local clubs about what kind of reputation the shop has. Go to the shop and look around... do you see disassembled cars that look like they've been sitting for a while and parts haphazardly strewn around the shop? If so, watch out. And above all, get whatever deal you think you have IN WRITING.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

I actually did most of what you recommended. Didn't check with Better Business. He was referred by another local guy that has had Vettes for years. I saw his work, his shop was spotless. One thing that I didn't consider is that the guy who referred me has about 5 Corvettes. He never drives any of them. Having a car tied up for extended periods of time wasn't an issue to him. I try to drive mine as much as I can. I also have a tendency to take someone at their word until I have reason not to. This guy told me exactly what I wanted to hear. It's just sad that he ruined what could have been a very enjoyable experience. I'm so frustrated that I'm actually considering selling the car. Only time will tell if I can look at the car and not be reminded of this idiot and all of the bad memories.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:57 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ren
I actually did most of what you recommended. Didn't check with Better Business. He was referred by another local guy that has had Vettes for years. I saw his work, his shop was spotless. One thing that I didn't consider is that the guy who referred me has about 5 Corvettes. He never drives any of them. Having a car tied up for extended periods of time wasn't an issue to him. I try to drive mine as much as I can. I also have a tendency to take someone at their word until I have reason not to. This guy told me exactly what I wanted to hear. It's just sad that he ruined what could have been a very enjoyable experience. I'm so frustrated that I'm actually considering selling the car. Only time will tell if I can look at the car and not be reminded of this idiot and all of the bad memories.
no reason for long term bad memories if the finished product meets your expectations; chalk it up to experience, move on, and enjoy....

Bill
Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
wmjosjr
Instructor

No he's not. This is about his brother, Tom Zaino. power plus.

Last edited by wmjosjr; 06-22-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Contact info deleted
Old 06-22-2012, 10:18 AM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by KS69Coupe
Thanks for your reply, and taking the time to read my post.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 AM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by plaidside
Tom is his brother.

Tom is a customer at my parts store. No other comment.
Joe
Thank you Joe, I think I know where your comming from, enough said.

Last edited by wmjosjr; 06-22-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:31 AM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by capevettes
Sal Zaino is the owner of the Zaino polish company and is a class act . Don't know if this guy is related to him or not. Tough situation for the OP. Didn't I see this posted elsewhere at least once?
Yes you did see it elsewhere. My goal is for everyone on the internet to know about Tom Zaino and his scam.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 AM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by robert miller
To the OP thanks for the post and hope it works out for you man. I just hate AZZ holes like this doing stuff like this.Robert
Robert, I thank you.

Last edited by wmjosjr; 06-22-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino Power Plus

Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 AM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by ren
Ren, I hope you have better luck then me!! All the best.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 AM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tim Tschanz
If you want one of the best see Jeff Brainhart @937-743-3007 @ Springboro, OH.
A NCRS paint judge and former Bloomington judge.
He can do an NCRS or Concours fiberglass and paint, depending on your desirse.
Seen much of his work and it is unbelievable. Very reasonable working time and very honest and dedendible.
Done work on my 63 and unbelievable good.
Tim
Thank you Tim, unfortunatly it's to late for me.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 AM
wmjosjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by ren
Some of the additional $ and time might be justified. The car was worse than I thought. Painted five different colors over the years. Enamel over laquer as well as laquer over enamel.Body work included bondo, rivets and screws. He took it down to the original fiberglass.Installed new rear quarter panels. To me, nothing justifies a year and a half. He could have done the car for free and I still would hve trouble with a year and a half. It just got to a point where he had me over a barrell. There aren't many guys in Northeast Pa. that do Corvettes and once it was stripped and apart, my only options were letting him finish or getting a flatbed and a lawyer. 2nd option may have taken longer than the first.
The nitwit called me on Tues. and said that he finished putting color (black) on the car. Still has to finish the clear coats.As of this afternoon, the clearcoat wasn't finished. I hope to have my car back by Christmas. I was reallylooking forward to haveing the car re=painted. This A++hole took all of the joy out of it. Given me more nightmares than 13 months in Vietnam.
Although I haven't seen the finished product, what I have seen looks outstanding. It's been an extremely frustrating experience.
I feel your PAIN, on all aspects. I hope it was worth it. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Zaino Power Plus