C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

problem with tach gear drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Default problem with tach gear drive

Car was running well, then today my tach started acting erratic and clattering first I disconnected the cable on the tach side, (MSD with the brass adaptor) to see if it was all OK then behind the tach - now I notice. When the tach cable was inserted all the way the tach would not budge - when it was barely inserted (but not secured with the nut behind the tach) the tach worked fine - as soon as I would tighten it would stop. After fiddling around sometyhing happened - now when the car runs the tach drive in the distributor no longer spins - I guess there is a gear inside the distributor? Will call the MSD help line on Monday - rev limiter will get me though the weekend. Should have left it alone .... Grr......
Old 06-09-2012, 04:05 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

How large is the square drive hole in the distributor compared to the square end of the tach drive cable? It may be so loose that the cable to the tach is not turning.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:33 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by larrywalk
How large is the square drive hole in the distributor compared to the square end of the tach drive cable? It may be so loose that the cable to the tach is not turning.
That is what I had happen with mine. Over time the hole in the gear got sloppy and I replaced the gear and it worked perfectly. You can check to see if the end of the cable is still square, but they don't usually wear compared to the gear.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The tach worked fine for a while - now if I don't attach the cable to the tach and the engine runs, the tach piece does not spin - with or without the brass adaptor. Something inside the tach must be broken.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:30 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The piece I'm talking about is in the tach. The other end of the cable is also square and goes into a gear.

This is the part I'm talking about.

You can get it with or without the brass sleeve.

Check this web site and you will see your options if that is what you find you need.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/catal...+gear&x=25&y=7
Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Downdraft, you are correct - with your last comment that "the tach piece does not spin" indicates that the cross gear is stripped where it meshes with the distributor shaft. When this happens it also destroys the gear on the distributor shaft itself - it too, will need replacement.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/catal...shaft&x=20&y=6

Last edited by larrywalk; 06-10-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Added distributor shaft info
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by larrywalk
Downdraft, you are correct - with your last comment that "the tach piece does not spin" indicates that the cross gear is stripped where it meshes with the distributor shaft. When this happens it also destroys the gear on the distributor shaft itself - it too, will need replacement.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/catal...shaft&x=20&y=6
Do I need to replace the distributor shaft or can I find only the gear that goes on the shaft?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:40 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Downdraft
Do I need to replace the distributor shaft or can I find only the gear that goes on the shaft?
The mainshaft drive gear is an integral part of the shaft. When the gear fails, it also takes the steel gear on the end of the cross gear with it, and both get torn up; photo below shows a typical failure. If yours looks like the photo, you'll need a new mainshaft and a new cross gear.
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Can I use the main shaft from my 327 - is it the same as that of the 383? Anything I need to check for?

What about the debree from the grinding gears, did it go in my oil?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:06 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Can I use the main shaft from my 327 - is it the same as that of the 383? Anything I need to check for?

What about the debree from the grinding gears, did it go in my oil?
yes on the 327 shaft, and the debris should have stayed in the distributor housing as there is no oil flow through the distributor like an FI distributor. even if it did i wouldn't worry about it as the debris is small and it usually happens over time and the oil filter would take it out..

Bill
Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmf62
yes on the 327 shaft, and the debris should have stayed in the distributor housing as there is no oil flow through the distributor like an FI distributor. even if it did i wouldn't worry about it as the debris is small and it usually happens over time and the oil filter would take it out..

Bill
Thanks Bill
Old 06-10-2012, 05:23 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks Bill
i'm not sure if you were speaking about the stripped distributor being a stock GM as you said something about MSD, if GM, then yes, as a matter of fact your entire 327 distributor will work.

if not GM, then probably not..
Bill
Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Problem solved - it was just the pin. The tach drive gear was not lubed through the grease nipple - the pin had snapped. Reinstalled with a new pin, lubed, set the timing at 38° at 2,500 rpm and it runs like a champ!
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To problem with tach gear drive

Quick Reply: problem with tach gear drive