C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ohio Highway Patrol serves warrant to Mershon’s World of Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:07 AM
RRod
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NCRS and Bloomington Credentials

Would all cars sold by this dealer, other dealers, or the big name auctions that came with NCRS and/or Bloomington Gold credentials or certifications be worry-free purchases when it comes to ensuring the hidden frame S/N's matched the engine or VIN tab numbers?

Just curious.

Last edited by RRod; 05-28-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RRod
Would all cars sold by this dealer, other dealers, or the big name auctions that came with NCRS and/or Bloomington Gold credentials or certifications be worry-free purchases when it comes to ensuring the hidden frame S/N's matched the engine or VIN tab numbers?

Just curious.
No.

Any sort of NCRS/Bloomington award is an indicator of the opinions of the judges on a given day. It is not any sort of certification as to the future correctness of a car.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:24 AM
RRod
Racer

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
No.

Any sort of NCRS/Bloomington award is an indicator of the opinions of the judges on a given day. It is not any sort of certification as to the future correctness of a car.
Very interesting .... then that provides even more amusing fun when occasionally watching some clueless buyer(s) bidding up supposed "real deal" cars (as described by the show announcers) during those televised classic car auctions on Speed Channel and Velocity TV.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Mershan is most probably innocent of fraud but guilty of greed, when you are a large dealer ( of anything high value ) there is always the risk that someone will commit fraud to make a quick big score .
They are a big time dealer and need to be held accountable for what they sell , sloppy isn't an excuse for a pro dealer when it come to doccumentation for a high dollar car. Buyer's pay a premium to buy from dealer's of this stature and these dealer's should do their homework on the car's they sell and not wait for the police to do it for them . They are not flipping car's for a few dollars profit . Sloppy dealer's have no excuse .
Kudo's to the police for watching out for the average Joe . It's their job , what the taxpayer's hire them to do .

JMO Bill
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I would bet with about 20 Ohio Highway Police Officers in your office, show room and out on your lot all day that he did not sell any cars that day.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I would bet with about 20 Ohio Highway Police Officers in your office, show room and out on your lot all day that he did not sell any cars that day.
I would also bet you can take that same 20 OHP officers and show them 10 well faked cars and they couldn't identify any of them as fakes. From reading the article, and I know nothing but what I read, My guess is this will back fire on them, but at the same time it will damage the dealers reputation. From what the article said they seized cars that simply had an incorrect engine, sorry folks, but that covers about 75% of all our old Corvettes.

I have inspectors call me to ask about numbers on the old cars. I sure wouldn't trust them to make a determination of legitimacy on anything. We don't have the facts, so we will just have to wait to see how it pans out.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 AM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by kenba
If the police are going to confiscate every car that doesn't have matching # motor,frame ETC. we are all in trouble. Not many old cars have all original parts.From the article it sounds like a witch hunt. I have known Danny for 30 years & I can't see him knowingly buy stolen cars or switch SN'S. It is very easy to get a title for any car and then sell it. I don't see why that is not illegal.
It would seem that your car better be matching numbers if you plan on going to a show in Ohio. This should put a real damper on classic cars in that state. What will the police do with restomods or street rods or cars with an LS engine swap?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

It's amazing how quickly the pitch forks and torches come out here on the forum. I know all of you have numbers matching cars that would have no problem meeting the letter of the law and all. Why don't we wait for the facts to come out before we rush to judgment????

David
Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I am sure Mershan did nothing wrong , like you said most (not all) the older cars out there have a different motor in them then what it was born with. Also I am sure without a dought that 95+% of the OHP would not know a 327 from a 350 or a 283. Mershan name and rep is hurt for a while but he will be OK when this all blows over. The only bad thing is when the OHP find out the messed up there will be nothing in the news or news paper about there mess up. As far as them having extra Trim Tage, that is no big deal. Trim tags have nothing to do with the cars title paper work.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I am sure Mershan did nothing wrong , like you said most (not all) the older cars out there have a different motor in them then what it was born with. Also I am sure without a dought that 95+% of the OHP would not know a 327 from a 350 or a 283. Mershan name and rep is hurt for a while but he will be OK when this all blows over. The only bad thing is when the OHP find out the messed up there will be nothing in the news or news paper about there mess up. As far as them having extra Trim Tage, that is no big deal. Trim tags have nothing to do with the cars title paper work.
I wonder why the Ohio State Police selected Mershons and not the Corvette dealer a bit further up north??

Larry
Old 05-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
I just love it when everyone piles onto someone elses misery. I doubt that anyone here really knows there real story. Not the newspaper story.
I swear officer, it's not mine! I don't know where it came from!

Originally Posted by wombvette
I would also bet you can take that same 20 OHP officers and show them 10 well faked cars and they couldn't identify any of them as fakes. From reading the article, and I know nothing but what I read, My guess is this will back fire on them, but at the same time it will damage the dealers reputation. From what the article said they seized cars that simply had an incorrect engine, sorry folks, but that covers about 75% of all our old Corvettes.

I have inspectors call me to ask about numbers on the old cars. I sure wouldn't trust them to make a determination of legitimacy on anything. We don't have the facts, so we will just have to wait to see how it pans out.
Evidence is seized. Not everything is as useful as hoped. Ever see cops that raid a house and just haul of boxes and bags of stuff? They take anything that MIGHT be useful.

Last edited by Godholio; 05-28-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Is that stamp actually on the rear axle housing or on the frame?

Isn't there also another location actually on the frame itself located on the top side of the frame just before the driver's side kick-up at the rear wheel well?
HOPE THESE PHOTOS HELP EXPLAIN
Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just curious.
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
No.

Just to add- the NCRS does not certify or authenticate anything- it clearly state this on the back of every judging award they issue, not that anybody reads or believes it.

To further make the point- the frame numbers being discussed here are not inspected during Flight Judging activities, nor are transmission numbers. Because engine pad numbers are easily visible these are given a good look, but even the pad is completely blank or is thought to be a horrible restamp, the deduction is pretty minor- the equivalent of a few burned out dash lamps and maybe a non-functioning cigar lighter. There is no attempt to authenticate the engine in the car as being the one that the car was 'born with'. The same can be said for the frame, suspension, interior, pretty much everything.

Anyone who purchases a car using the Flight Award certificate as the sole criteria for being 'original' and 'authenticate' is naive indeed.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by leadking
My understanding is that is illegal to remove a VIN tag, If Mershon's had loose VIN tags laying around, as reported, that could be trouble.
Remember a lot of C-1's had VIN #'S that were held on by 2 screws. When they were repainted plates were taken off & sometime misplaced. Guys that did there own resto. would take a Corvette apart & leave it set for years. I looked at many Corvettes in the 70'S that had the VIN. in a coffee can or no VIN tag at all. I never bought a car with no tag but others did. It didn't seem to be that big of a deal in the day. After the Bloomington ordeal I made sure all cars had SN/titles & the parts had #'S where needed.
Somebody at Mershons screwed up by having loose VIN tags. I am not sure if loose trim tags are illegal to have. You can buy them on EBAY & else where. Also you can buy titles for almost any car which I don't think is right.
KEN
Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM
FASTZ
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so I guess everyone without the original drivetrain and frame in their car,of which there are more than those who do,is either S.O.L. or has the perfect excuse to restamp their cars
Old 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
markmywords
Racer

This does not bode well for restomods where not much matches and street rods where nothing matches,It looks as if the law wanted they could take all of these cars
Old 05-28-2012, 06:45 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

nothing matches in my car, but i have a ton of pictures for every change i've ever made. don't know if that would help, but it's the best i will ever be able to do...
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Ohio Highway Patrol serves warrant to Mershon’s World of Cars

Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by leadking
My understanding is that is illegal to remove a VIN tag, If Mershon's had loose VIN tags laying around, as reported, that could be trouble.
Your understanding is incorrect. I can't speak to OH, as I do not live there, but most states have provisions that allow removal of the VIN tag for purposes of repair or restoration. My state is one of those, and it is not unusual for me to have at least one loose VIN tag in my shop at any given time. In many states, it is only a crime to remove the tag if it is done with the intent of masking the true identity of the car. Without intent, there is no crime in many states. In most of these states, a person can remove the tag if the car belongs to him. or he has the owner's permission to remove the tag.

There are federal laws about removing VIN tags, but they all require intent to mask the identity of stolen cars.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

Originally Posted by Powershift
I wonder why the Ohio State Police selected Mershons and not the Corvette dealer a bit further up north??

Larry
Not to suggest anything... , but I can imagine there was a cleaning and pick-up in the shop area.

Plus, it would take more than 20 police to search all the Corvettes there.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 PM
corvette67jim
Racer

Originally Posted by markmywords
This does not bode well for restomods where not much matches and street rods where nothing matches,It looks as if the law wanted they could take all of these cars
I wonder if law enforcement knows that CE blocks(IE.warranty replacement blocks) do not have that car's serial number on it.There are so many of these cars with replacement motors and frames that if what they are enforcing is lawful then most better hide their cars or start restamping them now.I bet that the cars will be returned and there will not be a story in the paper reporting that.

Quick Reply: Ohio Highway Patrol serves warrant to Mershon’s World of Cars