C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 LSx Project

Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

What brand of mufflers are you using? I see they say MS, but when i googled it, nothing came up. Exhaust looks great!

Thanks
Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
What brand of mufflers are you using? I see they say MS, but when i googled it, nothing came up. Exhaust looks great!

Thanks
I think its upside down and actually says S.W. for Stainless Works.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:27 PM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Rich, cannot wait to see this beauty up and running!!

Paul G.
Stainless Works
Old 03-25-2014, 04:40 PM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great progress Rich!
Old 03-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys!!!

Yup, Stainless Works mufflers - Paul and the team have been great with both exhaust items and a multitude of custom stainless brackets I draw up and supply CAD files for to have the guys laser cut out...

I've got the extensions tack welded, shown here with the mock-up positioning clamps still holding things temporarily tight - I will be finish welding them up this week, along with the v-rings on the mufflers. Next is putting the pipes back on and tack welding the v-rings on the pipe side for perfect positioning of everything, then it's rear hanger design for the mufflers and mocking up some tips...

Also shown in the picture is a rough paper mock-up of a heat shield mentioned in the last post..

Have a great weekend!
Rich
Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

Pipes welded and v-clamp ends on the pipes and mufflers...

Got everything in and installed, but just hanging in the rear with wire right now - need to design some hangers, tail pipes and also that heat shield under the fuel filter/regulator...

Have a great week!
Rich
Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 PM
empeg9000
Instructor

Awesome!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

Last Saturday was amazing weather so I decided it was a good time to bring it back home...

In person, it just looked awesome at this angle, but the picture didn't capture everything in the same way...

I got the rear exhaust hangers and tailpipes all mocked up: Manufactured stainless pins, threaded at each end, they fit inside the frame channel and hang a poly style isolation hanger. Bent up some stainless rod for attachment hangers and used some pipe to mock-up what I need for tailpipes. The finished bent pipes will be on the way shortly and I can finish everything for good.

I'm really itching to start it to see what it sounds like, but I have to wait until I get the pipes and everything finished for good - tie wraps and plastic wire probably wouldn't last long - haa haa

Happy Easter Everyone!!!
Rich
Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Oh, I can see the awesome in that pic.

It's as pretty underneath as it is on top.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Underneath is just flawless with incredible attention to detail everywhere you look.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 AM
Ausbrian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Car looks awesome, just looking at the pic of the front view.The front lower control arms look like they are pointing up at an angle.What kind of ride height are you running?When you ordered the chassis are you given the specs for ride height?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Thanks Everyone

That picture is a little misleading, but it is sitting a little low, I haven't touched the height since I dropped the bare body on the frame, so all the weight has been settling things down, I need to go back and adjust everything. There is a general setting for what the free state of the shock should be from end to end and, I believe, the lower arms are best level..

Happy Easter!!!
Rich
Old 04-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

Exhaust is pretty much done - I might add and/or make a double wall type of tip, but at the same time I'm really not trying to make the tips stand out as much as I'm trying to have them blend in - for that reason, I'm keeping them much shorter than original...

Turns out I don't need a heat shield for the fuel filter - it doesn't change temperature at all, I worry a shield would actually reduce airflow around it and make it get warmer...

Since it's in the garage, the sound isn't as clear as it is outside, I'll do that sometime later, but here is a clip.. Remember, it's an LS3, with a pretty large Texas Speed cam and ported heads, custom full length Stainless Works headers and full 3" pipes back to Stainless Works 3" chambered turbo mufflers...

I really like the sound, really mean idle, smooths out at steady state 2,000 and 3,000 rpms (those are the steps I hold it to in the clip) and, depending on how quick you let off, some gurgling on the way back to idle - for those that don't like that, it can be tuned out to a degree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujl3...ature=youtu.be

Have a great weekend!
Rich

Last edited by Rzepka_r; 04-26-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 AM
empeg9000
Instructor

Wow! That sounds most excellent!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Ausbrian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah! that sounds as tough as it looks.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 AM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Finally!! So happy to hear that thing run, nice fab work too. Sounds really nice and clean
Old 05-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

Got to work on modifying the rear panel for the larger pipes. I filled the original openings in with West Systems epoxy, cut new rough openings and then traced the pipes to get the correct oval again. Once I got the correct oval cut I used some heavy paper for a guide and created a flange with more epoxy. I'm not certain, at this time, if I'll make some stainless bezels or not, with the flanges painted perfect along with the rear panel things might look pretty nice without bezels..

Additionally, I hadn't yet installed all the deck lid latch/lock hardware, so I took care of that this weekend.. Nothing exciting to show in pictures with that other than I carefully cut the carpet in such a way to make the latch catch pieces "appear" through the carpet - I like this picture because in the ledge of the deck opening you can see a clear reflection of the camera and my arm - and it was covered in dust...

Have a great week!
Rich

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 LSx Project

Old 05-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

I haven't loaded pictures from the camera, but the rear panel is off to paint and I've been working on the console trim and heater side panels - I'll get pictures of everything as I progress more..

However, although it's just with the I-phone, here is an clip of it running outside..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCZJ...ature=youtu.be

Yes, first time out under it's own power - although I was sitting on the floor!

I peak, looking back, in the video, because when I did sound clips without the mufflers I'd always knock the camera/phone over with the first rev of the engine - looks like the mufflers solved that problem..

In person, it sounds really amazing!

Have a great week!
Rich
Old 05-13-2014, 11:15 AM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

It's alive!!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:56 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Those mufflers have a very aggressive raspy idle, but smooth out and have a newer performance sound under acceleration, which was not what i was expecting. I like it and believe i will copy your choice of muffler!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1963 LSx Project