C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

who else is building/restoring a c1 now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:35 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default who else is building/restoring a c1 now?

i've been thinking about starting this thread for a while...
just thought i'm not the only one that is currently working on a c1,,,(56 ex drag, basket case i dragged home in 1983, been working on it off & on, as time and money allowed)...this car will never be a NCRS, trailer queen, but my goal is to drive it, cruise nights etc, and just for fun...

in the past, i joined corvette clubs, even ncrs for 12-15 years, but, i never really met any guys who are into it for teh fun of bringing a c1 back to life,,, rather than building a 100 point show car, just to sell...

i learned a lot, reading teh ncrs periodicals, and also a lot of info in this forum... i'm just wondering, if anyone else is doing what i am,,, and maybe, are located close enough, to get together and compare notes...

lets hear about your current C1 project...

thanks,
john
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by knockbill
just thought i'm not the only one that is currently working on a c1,,,(56 ex drag, basket case i dragged home in 1983, been working on it off & on, as time and money allowed)...this car will never be a NCRS, trailer queen, but my goal is to drive it, cruise nights etc, and just for fun...

in the past, i joined corvette clubs, even ncrs for 12-15 years, but, i never really met any guys who are into it for teh fun of bringing a c1 back to life,,, rather than building a 100 point show car, just to sell...

i learned a lot, reading teh ncrs periodicals, and also a lot of info in this forum... i'm just wondering, if anyone else is doing what i am,,, and maybe, are located close enough, to get together and compare notes...

thanks,
john
John,
I am 7 weeks into my 1960 C1 project, doing it all myself (even the paint and body work). I am in the Nashville TN area and I have an aggressive goal of an October completion. Mine will also not be NCRS but it will look and drive great as we are making ours to drive We are doing a 350 crate motor with period 2x4, 5 speed, Vintage Air, Meyer's front suspension with front disks. The car will look mostly period with 17X7 Torq Thrust or Coys.

I have some progress pictures up at www.505hp.com

Where are you located at?

Curt

Last edited by C1-Curt; 05-11-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C1-Curt
John,
I am 7 weeks into my 1960 C1 project, doing it all myself (even the paint and body work). I am in the Nashville TN area and I have an aggressive goal of an October completion. Mine will also not be NCRS but it will look and drive great as we are making ours to drive We are doing a 350 crate motor with period 2x4, 5 speed, Vintage Air, Meyer's front suspension with front disks. The car will look mostly period with 17X7 Torq Thrust or Coys.

I have some progress pictures up at www.505hp.com

Where are you located at?

Curt
curt,,,thanks for replying...i'm outside of phila...

sounds like you got quite project and, as you say, an aggressive goal...
i started out building a 350, but ended up putting it in a chevelle in teh 80's,,, i found a 67 283, and rebuilt it, and put it in front of a t-10 i saved from teh old days, in the 56....i got teh glas done pretty good, and am looking forward to getting it in primer, at least this summer,,, lets see how that works out!!!!!

i just looked at your pics,, love the shop!!! i'm pretty sure you will meet your goal!!!

Last edited by knockbill; 05-11-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 PM
newguy1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day, I am getting ready to start on my 59 that has been back burnered for 30 years. I guess it is about time to do something with it. The car was drag raced all of its life until I got a hold of it so we are planning on continuing with its racing heritage. We hope to have a solid Bonneville salt car put together by next summer.

We have a solid 418 ci small block put together and have both a pro-shifted Doug Nash 4+1 and a hd street version 5 speed. These were the predecessor to the Richmond gear version. The pro-shifted trans is fresh back from Richmond so we are leaning towards it. However, the final drive is still 1:1 and with a 3.54 rear gear we need an overdrive. I have been in contact with Gear Vendors overdrives and they do have a 20 over bolt on kit available but they are not too sure if it will fit the C1 tunnel.

I guess a lot more research is needed before the driveline is finalized. Luckily drag racing is not a contact sport so the body is unhit. It already has a full roll cage and is a heater, radio, wiper delete car so it should not take too much to get the body ready. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will try to get some up of the car.

ms
Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by newguy1
G'day, I am getting ready to start on my 59 that has been back burnered for 30 years. I guess it is about time to do something with it. The car was drag raced all of its life until I got a hold of it so we are planning on continuing with its racing heritage. We hope to have a solid Bonneville salt car put together by next summer.

We have a solid 418 ci small block put together and have both a pro-shifted Doug Nash 4+1 and a hd street version 5 speed. These were the predecessor to the Richmond gear version. The pro-shifted trans is fresh back from Richmond so we are leaning towards it. However, the final drive is still 1:1 and with a 3.54 rear gear we need an overdrive. I have been in contact with Gear Vendors overdrives and they do have a 20 over bolt on kit available but they are not too sure if it will fit the C1 tunnel.

I guess a lot more research is needed before the driveline is finalized. Luckily drag racing is not a contact sport so the body is unhit. It already has a full roll cage and is a heater, radio, wiper delete car so it should not take too much to get the body ready. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will try to get some up of the car.

ms

sounds like your car started out a lot like mine, and you had it as long as me... they do get "back burnered" as you said,,, i had 3 novas, 3 chevelles and 3 other corvettes, since i got the 56...i guess its time to get serious with it !!!

you sound like you have an interesting goal in mind,,, have you run at bonneville?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 PM
newguy1
Heel & Toe

G'day, No, I have never run Bonneville. I have done some top end runs in the drag Camaro at about 150+ but this was done on an airport landing strip with a warmed up old crate LS7 bbc. The sound that thing makes at 8000 rpm's is sweet music.

But, we want to go small block with the 59 and would like to make the 200 mph club. It is going to take a lot of mouse motor and a lot of overdrive. Just need to work out the gearing I guess.

ms
Old 05-11-2012, 11:07 PM
jbrun
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,
My father, brother, and I have been restoring my father's 1961 Corvette for the past 2 years. It is a numbers matching car that he has owned since 1964. We have done everything except the paint and it is due back here next week from the paint shop. Painted it back to original ermine white lacquer Most of the parts are NOS that my father purchased 25 years ago and stored away knowing he was going to one day do a complete restoration. I will post pics soon of the project and hope to have it on the road by July. That will be first time since 1983 that it has been driven. Have enjoyed working on this car over the last 2 years.
Thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 06:09 AM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by knockbill

thanks,
john
John I have a very similar story,very very similar, reading your thread, I thought it was about me and my 1960, I"m not far from you in Limerick Pa. We need to hookup. Priming the frame today. GREAT THREAD!! Got to head out to the shop now and get to work, weekends are too short. Chip
Old 05-12-2012, 08:28 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 836 Likes on 456 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by newguy1
G'day, No, I have never run Bonneville. I have done some top end runs in the drag Camaro at about 150+ but this was done on an airport landing strip with a warmed up old crate LS7 bbc. The sound that thing makes at 8000 rpm's is sweet music.

But, we want to go small block with the 59 and would like to make the 200 mph club. It is going to take a lot of mouse motor and a lot of overdrive. Just need to work out the gearing I guess.

ms
I have been working on a '59 for several years (www.carols62.com/59). My original intent was to drag race it a little, but then I learned about the Maxton Mile (www.ecta-lsr.com) which was a 1 mile run on an old WWII era air field located about 2 hours from me. I decided to build the car to run at that event and added a lot of safety features in order to meet their rules. Now they have moved the event from Maxton, NC to Wilmington, OH, so I'm not sure where I will run it.

I have some charts related to aerodynamics on the C1. According to these charts it takes 540 RWHP to propel a C1 to 200 mph and there is 680# of lift in front and 260# of lift in the rear. Are you making aero mods to reduce the front end lift? Do you have plans for a front air dam to your car? Any thoughts on removing the air from the underhood area?

Here is an interesting pic from a recent ECTA event. This '56 ran 186mph in the standing mile at Wilmington, OH.

Charles

Last edited by cbernhardt; 05-12-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jbrun
Hello,
My father, brother, and I have been restoring my father's 1961 Corvette for the past 2 years. It is a numbers matching car that he has owned since 1964. We have done everything except the paint and it is due back here next week from the paint shop. Painted it back to original ermine white lacquer Most of the parts are NOS that my father purchased 25 years ago and stored away knowing he was going to one day do a complete restoration. I will post pics soon of the project and hope to have it on the road by July. That will be first time since 1983 that it has been driven. Have enjoyed working on this car over the last 2 years.
Thanks
thanks for your reply,,,,
seems 1983 was a good year for finding c1's!!!
its good to have a supply of nos parts, you won't have to worry about them fitting... good luck with the project, looking forward to teh pictures....
Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Currently, I have a 53,54,55, Mike Terry's Fastback and another 53 Motorama car under construction.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chipools@comcast.net
John I have a very similar story,very very similar, reading your thread, I thought it was about me and my 1960, I"m not far from you in Limerick Pa. We need to hookup. Priming the frame today. GREAT THREAD!! Got to head out to the shop now and get to work, weekends are too short. Chip
hi chip,,,
i knew there were c1 guys in teh area!!!!!!!! and that they aren't all built yet...
i went to the thomas chevy show last sunday, and there were at least five or six 56-57's,,, and maybe 12-15 c1's,,, that's pretty good for a local show, most of them were driven there...
i live right off teh blue route, and go thru limerick a few times a year...

good luck with teh frame, looks like you got a good day for painting...
Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
I have been working on a '59 for several years (www.carols62.com/59). My original intent was to drag race it a little, but then I learned about the Maxton Mile (www.ecta-lsr.com) which was a 1 mile run on an old WWII era air field located about 2 hours from me. I decided to build the car to run at that event and added a lot of safety features in order to meet their rules. Now they have moved the event from Maxton, NC to Wilmington, OH, so I'm not sure where I will run it.

I have some charts related to aerodynamics on the C1. According to these charts it takes 540 RWHP to propel a C1 to 200 mph and there is 680# of lift in front and 260# of lift in the rear. Are you making aero mods to reduce the front end lift? Do you have plans for a front air dam to your car? Any thoughts on removing the air from the underhood area?

Here is an interesting pic from a recent ECTA event:

Charles
nice pic.....
Old 05-12-2012, 09:02 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Currently, I have a 53,54,55, Mike Terry's Fastback and another 53 Motorama car under construction.
cool,,,
that will keep you busy.......
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

As you may have seen on previous posts, I am restoring a '58 back to originalish. Currently at McJacks here in So Cal for Paint, which you can see on his facebook page. Here are some timeline pics of the last year:

first car show one week after a got the car

teardown begins

body off

engine done

rolling chasis

yesterday at Mcjacks
Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Waffle;1580792706]As you may have seen on previous posts, I am restoring a '58 back to originalish. Currently at McJacks here in So Cal for Paint, which you can see on his facebook page. Here are some timeline pics of the last year:

nice... i like teh body rack you built in teh garage... i did something similar with 4' high sawhorses,,, chassis look good, also... what engine did you use?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

its a near miss on the numbers but a 283 with a mild build. 3/4 race cam, edelbrock intake, holley 4 barrel, hooker headers and old school MT valve covers.

Get notified of new replies

To who else is building/restoring a c1 now?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:20 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Waffle
its a near miss on the numbers but a 283 with a mild build. 3/4 race cam, edelbrock intake, holley 4 barrel, hooker headers and old school MT valve covers.
i could see teh power pack heads,,,
i have a wcfb on a 57 manifold,,, but i have plans for teh 2x4 manifold and a pair of wcfb clones, when i get teh body done...then i can put teh "corvette" valve covers on...
Old 05-12-2012, 05:43 PM
RayB
Intermediate

I'm working on a '62 ... An in progress restomod I bought a few weeks back. My 4th Corvette but first C1. Street shop Chassis with LS2. Also outside Philly - Chester County.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RayB
I'm working on a '62 ... An in progress restomod I bought a few weeks back. My 4th Corvette but first C1. Street shop Chassis with LS2. Also outside Philly - Chester County.
sounds good...seems like c1's are popular around here....

Quick Reply: who else is building/restoring a c1 now?