C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need to buy a new 63 hood and looking for some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

Default Need to buy a new 63 hood and looking for some advice.

I get the choice between hand laid and press molded. Since I plan to show the car around on weekends, I think I will go press molded as it will look more authentic and I will feel good.

But there seems to be a range of prices from different vendors. I am wondering if there is much difference between the different hoods out here? They seem to be between $1100 and $1400 for what looks like the same basic PM hood.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:20 PM
63Rayfan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need to buy 63 hood

If you plan on having the car judged, make sure you determine which hood style you need based on when during the production run your car was built. The early build cars did not have the mounting plates in the side edges of the hood because they did not have the hood alignment blocks. Later hoods had four (4) mounting plates imbedded into the side edges of the hood for the hood alignment blocks ( 2 blocks on each side. Check with the vendors and they can tell you which model you need based on your VIN.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 AM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe it or not, you can make a hand laid hood look like a PM hood. Sure it take a lot of elbow greas, but you can save several hunders of dollars. I made my (Hand laid) 67 BB hood for my 63 SWC and it looks great. I spent many hours sanding and bondoing under neith the hood, and it came out slick. I would n ot recommed for NCRS Judging, but for a nice driver I would do it again. Oh, we did have the molds for the 66-66 and 67 BB hoods. Total cost less than 100.00.
Just my $1's worth
George
PS I have a few extra 63 parts if need something

Get notified of new replies

To Need to buy a new 63 hood and looking for some advice.

Quick Reply: Need to buy a new 63 hood and looking for some advice.