C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Please help me figure out what I have!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 AM
razorbackbelle08
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me figure out what I have!

VIN: 194377S113291

We know it's a '67 Stingray with the big-block 427... but we have very little details; it was given to us by my father-in-law when he passed and is now under lock and key until we know exactly what we have. Mileage is 60,XXX.

We're praying it's an L88, but are afraid we won't know for sure until we run the block/tranny numbers. Do any of you have any thoughts?

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

VIN isn't any help unless someone is familiar with that car.

Why would you suspect it's an L88?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

the VIN isn't going to tell us anything.

First, please look on the front of the motor, in front of the passenger side head at the stamp pad and write down and tell us the numbers and letters stamped on it, it will be 2 sets of numbers.

Also, under the glove box on the metal bar is a trim tage with a bunch of info - write down and tellus the info on that trim tag (next to the tag with the VIN on it)

This will be a starting point and than we can go on from there to see what other info we may need.

Pray if you want but you can be assured what you have isn't an L88..... no one is going to have an L88 and not know what it is
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
razorbackbelle08
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
VIN isn't any help unless someone is familiar with that car.

Why would you suspect it's an L88?
Because DH's mom told us it was; but she is a little so we want to be sure, and haven't gotten into the original motor/trans to figure it out. DH's dad was a mechanic at a Chevy dealership for over 30 years in Michigan. The car was bought new, driven for a few years, then sold to Don-- then they started to upgrade it into a beast of a drag car-- the original stuff they removed was all put in storage above the garage so We have all of the original parts (or so Don said). It's just a matter of figuring out whether we want to put them all back in, or leave it as a drag car and continue to race it. If it's an L88, we want to bring it back to stock.

The family owns a drag strip in Michigan, like I said, so the car was really purpose-bought to be a drag car.

Last edited by razorbackbelle08; 03-13-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a local forum member can inspect the car with you.

larry
Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 AM
razorbackbelle08
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by redred65cpe
Maybe a local forum member can inspect the car with you.

larry
If we can find someone in Arkansas, we will be ALL for it, believe me!

I'll get some pics up when we get it out of the trailer; right now we're trying to get it insured and get a safe place to put it. Regardless of whether it is an L88 or not, we are so thrilled to have it... such an amazing machine!

And before any haters come in-- no, I'm not a troll, I promise This specific car has been raced at Norwalk every Halloween for the last 30 years or so, and was owned by someone who owned a drag strip in Michigan-- I can verify anything anyone wants if they don't believe me. I can't wait to find out exactly what we have!

Last edited by razorbackbelle08; 03-12-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Does it have a radio or a heater?

Single carb or multi carb?

Originally Posted by razorbackbelle08
VIN: 194377S113291

We know it's a '67 Stingray with the big-block 427... but we have very little details; it was given to us by my father-in-law when he passed and is now under lock and key until we know exactly what we have. Mileage is 60,XXX.

We're praying it's an L88, but are afraid we won't know for sure until we run the block/tranny numbers. Do any of you have any thoughts?

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
razorbackbelle08
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
Does it have a radio or a heater?

Single carb or multi carb?
I just asked him to look in it and see if it has a radio/heater. The original engine is covered up at the front of the trailer and he's at work so he can't get to it right now. I'll let y'all know and post pics as soon as we have them!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:34 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

If we can find someone in Arkansas, we will be ALL for it, believe me!
Give Joe Ray a call at Joe Ray Corvette Parts in North Little Rock, Ark.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 PM
kskid
Racer

If its a L88, you will know when you get it started.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,575 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BarryK
the VIN isn't going to tell us anything.

First, please look on the front of the motor, in front of the passenger side head at the stamp pad and write down and tell us the numbers and letters stamped on it, it will be 2 sets of numbers.

Also, under the glove box on the metal bar is a trim tage with a bunch of info - write down and tellus the info on that trim tag (next to the tag with the VIN on it)

This will be a starting point and than we can go on from there to see what other info we may need.

Pray if you want but you can be assured what you have isn't an L88..... no one is going to have an L88 and not know what it is
They only made 20 of them in 67 and most that remain are accounted for. This isn't the first time I've seen someone's first post hoping or claiming their car is an L88 Give us some pics and numbers. I'm a doubting Thomas
Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,638 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Where are you at in Arkanasas?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
razorbackbelle08
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by capevettes
They only made 20 of them in 67 and most that remain are accounted for. This isn't the first time I've seen someone's first post hoping or claiming their car is an L88 Give us some pics and numbers. I'm a doubting Thomas
No need to be rude! I'm not trying to claim it's an L88. Hence why I asked if you all could help me figure out what I have. We are pulling numbers and taking pics when I get off work, so I'll give you what we have as soon as I can get it, K?

I'm assuming it's an L71, btw.

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Where are you at in Arkanasas?
Fort Smith
Old 03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Because DH's mom told us it was; but she is a little so we want to be sure, and haven't gotten into the original motor/trans to figure it out. DH's dad was a mechanic at a Chevy dealership for over 30 years in Michigan. The car was bought new, driven for a few years, then they started to upgrade it into a beast of a drag car-- the original stuff they removed was all put in storage above the garage so We have all of the original parts. It's just a matter of figuring out whether we want to put them all back in, or leave it as a drag car and continue to race it. If it's an L88, we want to bring it back to stock.

The family owns a drag strip in Michigan, like I said, so the car was really purpose-bought to be a drag car.
Originally Posted by capevettes
You need to find the original engine, photograph the stamping and casting numbers, and post them here along with the VIN plate. Then you also need to find some original documentation to show how the car was originally equipped and remove any doubts as to a transplant/clone/restamp.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yor car was built approx. Mar 11 1967 Also look for the tank sticker, open the gas cap and peel back the rubber boot and see if you can see any sign of a paper on the drivers side of the tank. Shemp
Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Yeah, get out there and take a ton of pictures, inside and out and under if possible. There's lots of little cues we will be looking for.

If you have a digital camera, put it on "micro" and try to take some close up pictures of that pad on the engine with the 2 sets of numbers as well as the VIN plate/trim tag under the glove box, as Barry described.

Post everything.

PS : it's a "Sting Ray."

Old 03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
razorbackbelle08
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Yeah, get out there and take a ton of pictures, inside and out and under if possible. There's lots of little cues we will be looking for.

If you have a digital camera, put it on "micro" and try to take some close up pictures of that pad on the engine with the 2 sets of numbers as well as the VIN plate/trim tag under the glove box, as Barry described.

Post everything.

PS : it's a "Sting Ray."

Thank you! I'm more of a Camaro nut than a 'Vette girl, so this is going to be a learning experience for me But I'm excited! I'm a die-hard GM girl and take a great deal of pride in my vehicles. I love working on my Camaro and I know this will be just as enjoyable! Whether she is an L88 or L71 (or whatever!), what an AMAZING machine! We're so fortunate to have inherited her. I look forward to posting pics of the Sting Ray tonight!

Last edited by razorbackbelle08; 03-12-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help me figure out what I have!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Didnt they build all the L88 around jan/feb of 67
Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,575 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

No need to be rude! I'm not trying to claim it's an L88. Hence why I asked if you all could help me figure out what I have. We are pulling numbers and taking pics when I get off work, so I'll give you what we have as soon as I can get it, K?

I'm assuming it's an L71, btw.

Fort Smith
Not sure why you felt I was rude but there have been a number of first time posts over the years that were designed solely to create interest in a rare and valuable Corvette and the car never materializes. I would be glad to look at the numbers as would many of the knowledgeable members here. We will figure out what you have if you can provide the info
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The cars have materialized a few times. Too bad folks ran the new members off. Give the gal the benefit of the doubt. It won't cost you a dime.

Quick Reply: Please help me figure out what I have!