C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

the question was what would you do? .... guess I got my answer....thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 01:45 AM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

When somebody doesn't agree with you, listen to the logic and explain yours. Name calling and disrespect doesn't strengthen your cause.
I used to be pretty one way about discussions and arguments.
I was headstrong about my way and my attitude was "of course I think I'm right because thats what I believe".
Think about it like this, If you never listen to the other side and you refuse to recognize there might be a better way, you will never gain more knowledge.
Peace
Old 02-27-2012, 02:38 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,279 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I painted the underside of my 62 when I restored it in 1981-83. My car has never been split in half and I have nothing to hide. I just think it looks better. This picture was taken 30 years after the paint was applied.

30 YEARS Later it still looks great!!!!
I think I will paint mine when the body comes off.
What type paint did you use? How many coats?
Thanks, it really looks good in my opinion.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 AM
chet b
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I restored my car I cleaned the bottom with soap and a pressure washer and left it bare like it came from the factory. My car was pretty filthy in some areas and not to bad in others. Why seal in any oil with paint and force it to come out on the other side?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
What type paint did you use? How many coats?
Thanks, it really looks good in my opinion.
My recollection is that it was 2 coats of Dupont lacquer.

We started with a semi-gloss black and added a flattening agent to create the eggshell appearance.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine has "scrapes" and "Bruises" underneath....Im leaving it "as is"

Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I spraypanted the underbody on my car but i used to much gloss so the black semi flat color i was going for is a bit to shiny

I suppose i will respray the underbody with a more semi flat black
I still have left to paint the springs, well all other colors than black which i will paint as soon as i have converted the car to disc brakes(had the brake parts for about 3 years now so it is time)

If i should do it now i am not sure that i would paint the fiberglass and just paint the frame and metal parts
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry P
When somebody doesn't agree with you, listen to the logic and explain yours. Name calling and disrespect doesn't strengthen your cause.
I used to be pretty one way about discussions and arguments.
I was headstrong about my way and my attitude was "of course I think I'm right because thats what I believe".
Think about it like this, If you never listen to the other side and you refuse to recognize there might be a better way, you will never gain more knowledge.
Peace
Its not a matter of disagreeing. Its the supposed knowledgeable people manipulating an answer because they have a burr up their butt.

If you hare extremely knowledgeable of Corvettes, and have an opinion as hzz does, thats great! However, he knows that the comment he made was nothing more then a shot at me, which he enjoys. He automatically assumed the clear coat was going to be applied 3 inches thick, and not with a spray can as the author was thinking.
He then leaps to the conclusion that the author had an oil soaked vehicle that would then be sealed forever.
Neither is true, he knows it, but still took the shot. Every answer is just an opinion. There are people here that answer either "Black or white" there are no grey areas. So if you suggest a spray can, you are suggesting a professional, application that forever seals the bottom of the car. He knows better, everyone here knows he knows better. But he wanted to take the shot.
Another Black or white...... ANYONE that sprays the underside of their car is HIDING something. Because as the poster suggested, "Its the ONLY reason you would do so.

This comments come across as nothing else but silent insinuations of a greater plot by people here to hide damage to their cars.
Curiously you can spray paint to create "originality" but you can't spray paint because you like the underside of your car "purple" ? Its obvious you would ONLY do it, to hide something, thats the only reason?

This is has nothing to do with disagreeing with what I offer. I expect to be disagreed with. hzz has a special reason for disagreeing. He and I both understand that.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Back in the 60s and 70s Cars in Canada and Northern US were routinely sprayed with rustproofing compounds. Crovette owners took their cars in because they wanted the frame protected.
People routinely spray paint their firewall, and fender wells, I have yet to see a vette that fell apart because of it. If painting the underside of a vette "sealed in the oil" then why have not all these fenders self destructed? When you do a body off, all the fenders are painted inside and out? For those that paint their cars on a rotisserie, and the job applauded here. I see paint on the bottom of the car? Are these now destined to rot from the inside out?
Those appear to be okay, but a spray bomb not good?
You guys are weird, really, you are?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 AM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As you say, everyone has their own opinion and I really don't believe in this case either are wrong unless your having it judged for originality. In that case I would leave it unpainted. I happen to like Dans as well, but TC, it just always seems like you go the extra mile to go off on rants that really come off quite arrogant. It's like your always preaching to get your point across. I have yet to see a simple comment or question from you, you go off on these long disortations and somehow get back to your rants about NCRS.
Just take it down a notch and get off of the soap box.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by waltonb123
As you say, everyone has their own opinion and I really don't believe in this case either are wrong unless your having it judged for originality. In that case I would leave it unpainted. I happen to like Dans as well, but TC, it just always seems like you go the extra mile to go off on rants that really come off quite arrogant. It's like your always preaching to get your point across. I have yet to see a simple comment or question from you, you go off on these long disortations and somehow get back to your rants about NCRS.
Just take it down a notch and get off of the soap box.
I am trying, really I am. I find it difficult when you assume someone knows what they are talking about, praises full body painting as I have seen on this board done on a rotisserie, then says a spray bomb somehow locks in oil forever?
My assumption, right or wrong, is the reason the shot was taken was because I said it. It has nothing to do with the answer.

Your point is a good one, he was answering from an NCRS point of view so was the other person.

So, if you paint the underside of your car, you will be deducted points from NCRS could be an answer. But instead, we get the other NCRS answer which is, if you do paint your car's underside, "you must be hiding something?
So NCRS says do not paint, ergo if you do, you are hiding something.
Thats what you glean out of the answer.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 AM
redsplitwindow
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Leave it bare.If oil/grease get on it,wipe it off with thinner followed with
soapy water.Or instead of thinner use grease and wax remover.
Personally painted black looks better and hides oil/grease better and there
are plenty of nice undamaged cars out there painted black underneath
for cosmetic appearance,its cleaner looking.Dont use a clear coat,if it starts peeling you will end up stripping the underneath of the car.
Its your car do what you want if it has the wrong drive train and you think
it would look better black paint it black if its a #s car do what you like.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Words such as Only, Always, Never are dangerous words when used in prose, as they typically are not 100%accurate.

My 62 has a painted underbody but im not hiding anything. It has date coded windows but im not trying to fake anything. It has a restamped engine but I didn't do it with money as a motivator.

And yet, 3 different posts on this forum have claimed those all were done only for those exact reasons.

We tend to generalize in our speech but it shouldn't condemn us in a social forum.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 02-27-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,117 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233
I am trying, really I am.
If you really want to try just try saying NOTHING. Post your opinion and let it go. Everything does not have to be a debate.

Typically a guy asks for opinions. A bunch of guys post up "what they would do" and the OP makes a decision based on the responses.

Lot's of people think a painted under on a Vette or undercoat on a metal car, when done, could possibly have been done to cover something.

Even if that is not the case it makes it hard to accept the fact that nothing was covered if you can't see.

Painted or Cleared IMHO is fine. My suggestion would be to Photo Document the condition prior to doing whatever you are going to do.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by redsplitwindow
Leave it bare.If oil/grease get on it,wipe it off with thinner followed with
soapy water.Or instead of thinner use grease and wax remover.
Personally painted black looks better and hides oil/grease better and there
are plenty of nice undamaged cars out there painted black underneath
for cosmetic appearance,its cleaner looking.Dont use a clear coat,if it starts peeling you will end up stripping the underneath of the car.
Its your car do what you want if it has the wrong drive train and you think
it would look better black paint it black if its a #s car do what you like.

One of the better answers
Old 02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
If you really want to try just try saying NOTHING. Post your opinion and let it go. Everything does not have to be a debate.

Typically a guy asks for opinions. A bunch of guys post up "what they would do" and the OP makes a decision based on the responses.

Lot's of people think a painted under on a Vette or undercoat on a metal car, when done, could possibly have been done to cover something.

Even if that is not the case it makes it hard to accept the fact that nothing was covered if you can't see.

Painted or Cleared IMHO is fine. My suggestion would be to Photo Document the condition prior to doing whatever you are going to do.
Why not answer taking into acct the two crowds here.
No you should not paint your car, if you intend on using it in an NCRS event because you will lose points
If you are not concerned about that then __________________

Its a simple solution I am not the only one that took the comment "hiding something" as a shot to non-NCRSers here. Its obvious that NCRS people do not paint the underside of their car because they will lose points. Which means the only people that WOULD do it, are people that are NON -NCRS people and those people "ONLY" do it to hide something.

So the simple solution is just state whether you are regurgitating a rule or an idea. We will eventually get there. By the way, when I do the rotisserie thing, I will be painting the underside of my car. I will be hiding nothing. In fact I will be documenting it with pictures.

Last edited by TC233; 02-27-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

In the case of my 67 split window yup I am hiding something , The black 67 glass tunnel for the 67 parking brake , the front half of the floor is grey glass and the rear of floor is white glass . Painted it black so it wouldn't look like the Partridge family bus looking up at the floor pans

Get notified of new replies

To what would you do?

Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,174 Likes on 487 Posts

I cleaned and painted mine with rattle can Krylon. After you get it all cleaned, the scratches on the metal surfaces will rust if not coated.

Mine had damage to the rear well from where the right half shaft came into the car shifting into 3rd. But I had painted it before that and again after that. It just looks so much cleaner and nicer and better resists road tar and grease.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally the underbody was bare - if you like that, do it.

If you like it nicely-done low-gloss black like Jeff has, do it.

It's your car - do it however you like.

Last edited by H P Bushrod; 02-27-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by toddalin
I cleaned and painted mine with rattle can Krylon. After you get it all cleaned, the scratches on the metal surfaces will rust if not coated.

Mine had damage to the rear well from where the right half shaft came into the car shifting into 3rd. But I had painted it before that and again after that. It just looks so much cleaner and nicer and better resists road tar and grease.
Very nice, I like that

Quick Reply: what would you do?