C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Muncie 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Default 64 Muncie 4 speed

I am pretty sure my cover case is cracked, right where the (2) bolt holes go into the transmission. Is this a replaceable part? Can I get the cover separately? I have a few drops of oil on the floor and have traced it to the two bolt holes and there is a hairline crack around the bolt holes. I'll post a picture. Hang on.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you are talking about your side cover -- then a much improved cover is separately available....it'll have bronze bushings (like a clutch shaft pilot bushing) where the shifter fork shafts go through and a center pin secured by a C-clip instead of just being 'peened' in place. The peened pins would let the 'rooster comb' lockout levers fall into the tranny with disastrous results. You can talk to these folks...I run their product on my VERY early '63 Muncie. http://www.tbtrans.com/muncie_4_speed.htm#midplate

Scroll down the page a bit to see one version of the new side cover.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-01-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:26 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

I hope I am talking about the correct cover Frank. I went out and crawled under the car (once again). I'm getting too old for this (63) and this is what I'm talking about. I cleaned it all up, but the oil was weeping down the side of the case, onto the floor. By the way Frank, I spend my winters over in Cocoa Beach, your only a hour away. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

I installed this cover along with new shift forks, since I was in there, and it is a sweet piece. Odds are the oil seals are leaking, and new ones may not be a permanent cure.

http://www.tbtrans.com/14f19aa0.jpg
Old 09-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yes. That's the side cover I refer to and 'skids' link above is to the same company that I cited. You CAN remove the side cover without pulling the tranny or rotating it around its axis. You'll have to get the speedometer cable off and out of the way, disconnect the reverse shifter rod and wangle it too out of the way. Then there is enough room to pull the cover by pulling it straight out and rotating the shifter forks up and maneuvering it downward. You'll want the transmission in second gear before starting the procedure. Here is the method I used graciously supplied by another forum member:

=======================================
1- Put the car in second gear

2- Unscrew the nuts holding the shift shaft levers off the 4-3 2-1 shafts. (gear numbers coincide with those levers). As seen from the side cover with levers it is 4-3-2-1-R

3- Remove the shift levers and let them hang free

4- Remove the seven bolts holding the cover to the tranny.

5- There is a pin that crudely locates the cover to the tranny, on the right side, be careful not to pry too much in one direction left or right. Ideally you want the cover to come straight off. Remove the cover with attached forks. You don't have to worry about dropping anything down into the gears of the transmission, as this was a service inspection port also.

6- Removing the shift forks requires nothing more than sliding them out. However upon reassembly make sure to install the forks all the way back and make sure the scissors are on top of the pin. (You'll see the pin in the fork and the scissors on the inside of the cover when you get the cover off.)

7- Pull the shifter shafts out of the corresponding holes. It doesn't matter which one came out of what hole, but being the perfectionist we are, clean them and inspect for wear. Set aside and remember what hole of the cover they came out of.

8- Pry gently the seals out of the cover.

9- Clean the old gasket remnants from the cover and the case side of the tranny.

10- Now might be a good time to get a fluid pump and pump out all the fluid from the tranny with it open like that. To refill just remove the plug on the other side and fill until it runs out of the hole. I'm not sure of the capacity since I don't know how much fluid you are or aren't removing.

11- Once everything is clean install new seals with I believe, (don't quote me and for dang sure check yourself an 11/16ths socket. Just a firm rap to get them in the hole is all you need. There is a recess and they can go about a 1/4" into the side cover hole. If your shafts are worn maybe push them in a little more, unless you want to buy new ones. They are readily available. (Think of it like a drive shaft yoke or a harmonic balancer groove.)

12- Once the new seals are installed, lube the shafts with grease (just a light coat) and slide them in. They can only go one way, and you'll see what I mean when you disassemble.

13- Move the scissors by pushing down on the opposite side of the fork you want to install. I.E. installing 3-4, push down on the 1-2 side of the scissors. Install forks.

14- Use a dot of grease in two or three places to hold the gasket on the cover side. (I've found its soooo much easier to do it that way than try to finess the cover on with the gasket on the case.

15- Now comes probably the hardest part, which isn't hard just maybe time consuming. The forks need to be straight up and down and the cover needs to be in second gear. (remember you left it in second before you disassembled) Looking at the side covers they will look like this. l \ Four three will be straight up and two one will be pushed to the left. (the front of the car.)

16- Install the cover into the tranny. The forks will only go one way in, so you know you have it when the cover sits flush to the case. Anything else you will start hurting things.

17- Torque bolts in side cover to 15 foot pounds. Less if you feel it start to strip.

18- Reinstall your shifter linkage, tighten the nuts down to 20ish foot pounds and shift through all the gears.

19- Start the car and listen for any abnormal noises and for god sakes make sure the clutch is pushed in when you go to start for the first time. Let it out slow in neutral to make sure something isn't afoul and the car doesn't creep forward and wreck itself.

20- If all else checks good and the fluid was/wasn't changed, take it for a spin. YOUR DONE!!
=============================
Finally - that is an unusual crack...I can't tell if you have a Hurst aftermarket shifter but if you do then check the adjustment on the 'stops'.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-01-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:51 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Thank you sir, I'll be installing that cover in the not to distant future. Man I love this forum.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

By the way - if you get the new side cover as shown in the links above it already has new seals installed so you can ignore steps #8 and #11 above....
Old 09-01-2014, 07:14 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a weird place to have a crack, but if you've got to have a crack that is the place to have it. Easy fix.

Maybe someone overtightened the side cover bolt. Use the torque spec Frank posted.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:56 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Are you sure that the cover is cracked or just a casting line? More than likely the shift shaft seals are leaking which are easily replaced.
Joe
Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Possibly just the casting line....my cover (original) shown below.
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the pictures Frankie, sure makes my thinking a heck of a lot simpler. My car has a stock chrome shifter. I have it all wiped down and I'm going to take it for a spin tomorrow. I'll crawl under the car and take a picture when I get back. I hope its just the cover.

Last edited by VITIV Coupe; 09-01-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 AM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you figure anything out with your muncie yet?!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:23 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Not yet, I was finishing up putting the intake back on and getting the timing all set up yesterday, plus it rained here all day. Its going to be nice and sunny so I'll have a look today.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 AM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Well not to toot my own horn, but I am the gracious forum member who supplied Frankie with the instructions that he posted in this thread. I'm here to help in any way I can. I'm glad he did post them, as they are not lost to the forum.. Haha.. Anyway, good luck and I as well as many other members will help you out. OK!

Tony
Old 09-03-2014, 05:39 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69z28&ss396
Well not to toot my own horn, but I am the gracious forum member who supplied Frankie with the instructions that he posted in this thread. I'm here to help in any way I can. I'm glad he did post them, as they are not lost to the forum.. Haha.. Anyway, good luck and I as well as many other members will help you out. OK!

Tony
Hey, thanks Tony. This is why I like this forum, so many people willing to help and share ideas. Those instructions helped me immensely. This car has been a life long dream for me and I finally have one. I just bought this car in July and I have learned an incredible amount of information since then and its all because of the fine members of this forum. I'll post a picture after the drive, later today.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 69z28&ss396

Tony
Good instructions, Tony, and thanks to Frank for posting them.

FWIW, in step 10 = according to the owner's manual, a Muncie M20/21 takes 2 1/2 pints of fluid.

I will be doing this to mine to inspect it, and to change the fluid.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yes indeed - it was Tony....if he'd shorten his forum name I'm sure I would have remembered it to give full credit

BTW - Amsoil sells a small hand pump that is a life saver for filling trannys and diffys. Cheap, its a life saver and my NAPA had it on the shelf... http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...tle-hand-pump/

Now getting the old fluid out is a bit more fun, I have an industrial extractor that makes it a breeze but that puppy is NOT cheap. But they make cheaper versions: http://www.equipatron.com/oregon-88-...FWho7AodjFMAOQ

I would use ONLY GL-4 rated fluid....some will say GL-5 hurts the "yellow" metal components; others say it doesn't. Why take the chance ? GL-4 is what is specified and works perfectly.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-03-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Muncie 4 speed

Old 09-04-2014, 05:05 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Well I took it out for a spin and dropped by my mechanic and he put it up on the hoist. I forgot to take a picture but I can rule out the side cover, it was bone dry. We determined that it was leaking by the tailhouse bushing/tail seal. What is the best way to get this out. Do I have to drop the tranny or can I disconnect the drive shaft and get the seal/bushing out while on the car?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Egor01
Well I took it out for a spin and dropped by my mechanic and he put it up on the hoist. I forgot to take a picture but I can rule out the side cover, it was bone dry. We determined that it was leaking by the tailhouse bushing/tail seal. What is the best way to get this out. Do I have to drop the tranny or can I disconnect the drive shaft and get the seal/bushing out while on the car?
Disclaimer: I have not done this job on a C2, but I have done it on a M-20/21 in a '55 Chevy and it's a simple job. I would be surprised if one of the experts here didn't come around with pictures of it. The only reason I can think of that would require any major disassembly, e.g., pull the tranny, etc., would be if there was too much interference to gain access to the end shaft seal.

Basically, you remove the transmission end shaft by disconnecting the driveshaft and pull the seal and replace it with a new one. You may need to pick up the specialized puller tool to get the old one out.

Not an uncommon problem (mine leaks:yes nod and much better than a broken case or cover. I would go so far as to speculate that this seal is the number one tranny leak location on Muncies by a wide margin.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Egor01
If it is just the seal it can be done in the car. I would first check the bushing by grabbing the yoke and try to move it up and down and side to side to see if there is any movement. If there is considerable play then you must take the transmission out and remove the tail housing to replace it.
Joe

Quick Reply: 64 Muncie 4 speed