C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Steering box Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Steering box Rebuild

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen

The last item of mechanical concern was my original steering box of 46 years of age. It performed wonderfully for years but it was time.

I did not want to do it myself because of special set up procedures and if done correctly , would need no work in my driving lifetime.

I called Gary Ramadei of Hartford CT....gary.ramadei@radiall.com
203-776-2813

He does profession work or both a standard build and a blueprint build. I would recommend him over the out of the box rebuild that you can buy if you wish to have your original box restored to better than factory.

Several things can go wrong with the box. The gears themselves can wear out, adjusting the lash, crashes , time, lack of grease, rust.

Gary is aware of my trip and wanted to make sure the box would be perfect....and it is.

My car has all new front components, joints, rods, bushings , PS valve , springs, Idle arm etc. . The box was the last part to do.

Here is a link to the complete set of photos , from Gary getting box to finished job.

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/u...Box%20Rebuild/

Here are some sample photos of the rebuild, You want a quality job done , Gary is one of the best in the business.

Old Box

[IMG]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/jackfit87
/Steering%20Box%20Rebuild/asrecd1.jpg[/IMG]

Lash all the way in (bad)

Rebuild

New Gears Seals Bushings

Fitting and adjustments

New lash

Marking for center of travel index

Finished Box

I will do a follow up post on the alignment done today so that box all components are set up perfectly for my kind of ride.

I used Palmer Spring Company and will have photos of their shop.
They still make the springs right in their shop as well as all that is involved with suspension parts. Been in business since 1849.

I will have photos of the blacksmith shop still in use for springs and metal fabrication.

All my suspension components are stock and like new and the car rides perfectly for a 1966 corvette , just like new ( the old new) .

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 02-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 520 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Gary did my '64 box, though, not the blue print job. He was a wonder to work with, quick and reasonably priced. I recommend him to anyone needing a steering box rebuilt.

Dave
Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary rebuilt my box too. Luckily he was able to reuse my gears to keep the price down. He's super easy to deal with and i loved all of the pics and the willingess to explain as well as teach.

Brian
Old 02-20-2012, 01:08 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I rebuilt my own. They are very easy to do but you'll need a 0-30 in. lb. dial reading torque wrench to set them up correctly. I already had the torque wrench so the total cost was less than $75.

Jim
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Jack,

Based on your observation of my steering when we went to dinner in Annapolis during your trip around the US, I knew a rebuild was on my "to do list". Finally got it done just a few weeks ago - I sent mine to Van Steele in FL . . . can't wait to drive it!

Tom
Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Car goes straight

I took the car out today to test the newly rebuilt box , alignment and completed suspension rebuild of the front end.

Went through the gears without any hands on wheel to see if car would stay straight

Gary did a great job, along with a shop (Palmers Spring Shop, Portland ME ) that knows how to do a vintage car alignment.

Take a ride and see for yourself

Get notified of new replies

To Steering box Rebuild

Quick Reply: Steering box Rebuild