C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 AM
grumpy55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alignment

When setting the CASTER, where do the shims go ?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,281 Likes on 819 Posts

When you think of Caster think of casting a fishing rod forward and back.
Camber is tilting your tire in and out, so top of the tire can be moved closer to the engine block or closer to the outside away from your engine block. Shims can easily affect Camber.
Camber change will involve new or modified upper control arm mounts to slide the upper mount toward the rear bumper or towards the front bumper depending on if you are adding positive or negative caster. I think you are looking to move the upper control arm closer to the rear bumper to pick up additional control in straight line and returnability off corners. I am sure others here can offer more detailed information but this is basics.

Last edited by Westlotorn; 02-20-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Correcting mis print, shims can easily affect camber.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 AM
grumpy55
Racer

Westlotorn,

Silverslashstreak slotted his upper cross-shafts, to gain CASTER, but I can't see where the shims go.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy55
Westlotorn,

Silverslashstreak slotted his upper cross-shafts, to gain CASTER, but I can't see where the shims go.
I can't understand this statement. Do you have a picture or prior thread you can post that will explain it?

Special upper cross shafts with off-center cast bushing shaft ends are available to increase caster.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shims go same place as for camber, on the two studs that mount the upper control arm shaft to the frame. Roughly, total number of shims determines camber. Their allocation between the front and rear studs sets the caster. Caster is increased by moving the upper ball joint aft. Slotted control arm shafts let you do it directly, without messing with shims. Offset control arm shafts let you do it with fewer total shims.

Harry
Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Westlotorn,

It was late when I wrote that, I should have proof read. I will go back and correct. Caster was used when Camber should have been. As noted later in the post camber is shim related, Caster involves custom parts on these cars as SSS did to his to get 4.5 degrees Caster.
Sorry for confusing the issue.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 66since71
Shims go same place as for camber, on the two studs that mount the upper control arm shaft to the frame. Roughly, total number of shims determines camber. Their allocation between the front and rear studs sets the caster. Caster is increased by moving the upper ball joint aft. Slotted control arm shafts let you do it directly, without messing with shims. Offset control arm shafts let you do it with fewer total shims.

Harry
Both caster AND camber are adjusted using the shims.

Jim
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1snake
Both caster AND camber are adjusted using the shims.

Jim
I agree, the statement above is true. I assumed the OP was trying to increase his Caster over the factory specs like Silver Slash Streak has done. I guess I should not assume. Thanks for clarifications.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM
grumpy55
Racer

The spacers is what I was looking for.
Is brass strong enough ?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have only seen steel spacers used, must be a reason.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The spacers is what I was looking for.
Is brass strong enough ?
No, it's not - brass is too soft, and won't hold the required torque; use the standard steel shims.

Adding or removing the same number of shims at both the front and rear studs at the same time changes camber (adding makes it go negative, removing makes it go positive). Adding shims at the rear and/or removing them at the front moves the upper ball joint rearward, increasing positive caster, but it has to be done in concert with the camber adjustment, on an alignment rack.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment

Quick Reply: Alignment