C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 steering column color

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 58 steering column color

I have rebuilt my steering box (Thanks Tom for the excellent how to) and now want to paint the column. the colors i have stripped off include:
white closest to the metal, covered by 58 red covered by bubba red covered by black. So i am curious what color it should be (Red interior, Black car). I am also contemplating painting the interior part 58 red and the portion in the engine compartment either black or metal grey to match the steering box, leading to my second question. Since the body is still off, i need to know the distance from the steering box to the point where the column goes through the firewall. Any and all help and opinions are appreciated!
Kurt
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

I beleive that the column was painted interior color all the way to the steering box.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Interior color down to about 6 to 8 inches under the dash, then black the rest of the way. The columns were painted out of the car, prior to assembly. The dash pod (instrument cluster, and lower steering column cover were painted when the car was painted (lying on the floor).

Mike Coletta

edit: Well, I could be wrong about this. The 57 is painted gloss interior color to the steering box, and the 59 is painted interior color "several inches under the dash". I don't have a 58 judging manual, so I made the assumption that it was the same as the 58......I'm probably wrong

Last edited by mike coletta; 02-09-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 AM
5869vette
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wilbur
I beleive that the column was painted interior color all the way to the steering box.
Correct, `58 interior color all the way to steering box.
Good luck
Tony
Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks... the 58 red should clash nicely with the chevy orange block.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 steering column color

Quick Reply: 58 steering column color