Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
BillyTz06
CF Senior Member
 
BillyTz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Hometown The best
Default C2 Repro Body kit

Does anyone know who makes a reproduction C2 body kit that will fit a C5 rolling chassis. I saw a picture of what looked like a 62 body on a C5 chassis but I don't know who built it or exactly whats available. Any help would be appreciated.
BillyTz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
62Jeff's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Houston-ish Texas
Default

Here you go
http://www.crcoachworks.com/index.phtml
62Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
mike coletta
CF Senior Member
 
mike coletta's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: minneola FL
Default

If you're looking for a "kit" in the truest sense, like a box of parts, some instructions, and you build it, there is no such thing. CRC uses specially made panels that they glue "over" an existing body.
HiTek hotrods is the distributor for a C1 and C2 body, but they are very expensive to complete, and require lots of fabrication, including a custom frame. http://www.hitekhotrods.com/corvette.html

Mike Coletta
mike coletta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
jdk971
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
jdk971's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: columbus ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike coletta View Post
If you're looking for a "kit" in the truest sense, like a box of parts, some instructions, and you build it, there is no such thing. CRC uses specially made panels that they glue "over" an existing body.
HiTek hotrods is the distributor for a C1 and C2 body, but they are very expensive to complete, and require lots of fabrication, including a custom frame. http://www.hitekhotrods.com/corvette.html

Mike Coletta
hitek is no longer. the builder there jake burton is still there and goes
by burtonsmotorwerks. jim
he has been very honest and has done good work for me. jim
jdk971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
iluvhockey
CF Member

 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver BC
Default

I guy on criagslist listed this as he has one of thier body locally for sale.

www.usbodysource.com

maybe you can give them a call. Looks like fiberglass only for kit cars no birdcage.
iluvhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

 
Nowhere Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Sitting in his Nowhere land New Oxford Pa
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?
Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvhockey View Post
I guy on criagslist listed this as he has one of thier body locally for sale.

www.usbodysource.com

maybe you can give them a call. Looks like fiberglass only for kit cars no birdcage.
they are made for drag cars with a tube chassis
Nowhere Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
al89
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2009
Default

c5 does not have a rolling frame all you get is a front end a rear end and a torque tube joing them together i have dissaembled many
al89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
aussieross01
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTz06 View Post
Does anyone know who makes a reproduction C2 body kit that will fit a C5 rolling chassis. I saw a picture of what looked like a 62 body on a C5 chassis but I don't know who built it or exactly whats available. Any help would be appreciated.
I've built a similar car, but it was a lot of work, and the result wasn't real well received in the Corvette community over there.
Rather than try and explain what and why we did it, ceckout the website on www.prodigy-z06.com

If you have any questions you can pm me, or email me through the website.
There's no right or wrong way to go about any project, it's just what YOU want to achieve.
Rgds
Ross
aussieross01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
tuxnharley
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

 
tuxnharley's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Los Gatos California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTz06 View Post
Does anyone know who makes a reproduction C2 body kit that will fit a C5 rolling chassis. I saw a picture of what looked like a 62 body on a C5 chassis but I don't know who built it or exactly whats available. Any help would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Jeff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by al89 View Post
c5 does not have a rolling frame all you get is a front end a rear end and a torque tube joing them together i have dissaembled many
Looks like CRC is a C1 look alike, not a C2 as the OP asked about. al89 is correct about C5s. The only way I have seen to do what the OP is asking about is to have a C2 donor for the body, a C5 donor for the running gear, and use a custom frame from Newman. Try

newmancarcreations.com

They're in Templeton, CA next to Paso Robles, just north of san Luis Obispo. and right in the heart of the central coast wine country!

tuxnharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
aussieross01
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al89 View Post
c5 does not have a rolling frame all you get is a front end a rear end and a torque tube joing them together i have dissaembled many
Sorry mate, but that's not right.
You peel the body off and you are left with a rolling frame. The C5 chassis is lighter and almost 4 times stronger than anything Corvettes have used previously.
It is a big ask to install a C2 body on, it is doable, but huge mods are necessary. Easier to install a C1 body because of the longer wheelbase.
aussieross01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
62Jeff's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Houston-ish Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxnharley View Post
Looks like CRC is a C1 look alike, not a C2 as the OP asked about. ...
Ack! He said "C2" and I saw "62". Doh!

Here's a photograph I just took of myself...
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 02-06-2012 at 07:07 PM.
62Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
John McGraw
CF Senior Member
 
John McGraw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: AUSTIN Tx
Default

Downs Industries builds both a 62 body and a 67 Coupe body. Have never seen one in person, but if it as nice as their street rod bodies, it will be nice. That being said, it is not the body that costs money, it is all the little odds, ends and trim that can really run into some money.

http://www.downsindustries.com/

I think that you are always better off buying an original donor car, just to get all the other pieces that you will need.


Regards, John McGraw
John McGraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

 
Nowhere Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Sitting in his Nowhere land New Oxford Pa
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?
Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieross01 View Post
Sorry mate, but that's not right.
You peel the body off and you are left with a rolling frame. The C5 chassis is lighter and almost 4 times stronger than anything Corvettes have used previously.
It is a big ask to install a C2 body on, it is doable, but huge mods are necessary. Easier to install a C1 body because of the longer wheelbase.
but it does not have a "frame" like a mid year. its a uni body construction car.
Nowhere Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
al89
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieross01 View Post
Sorry mate, but that's not right.
You peel the body off and you are left with a rolling frame. The C5 chassis is lighter and almost 4 times stronger than anything Corvettes have used previously.
It is a big ask to install a C2 body on, it is doable, but huge mods are necessary. Easier to install a C1 body because of the longer wheelbase.
you peel the body off and there is NO frame but there is a wood floor no frame as i said i have wrecked many and have built many cars useing the c4 and c5 running gear
al89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
BillyTz06
CF Senior Member
 
BillyTz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Hometown The best
Default

Thanks for the imput guys. The CRC car is the one that I saw in the picture. It seems that they do the mods themselves and don't sell any body panels. I will give all of the companies referenced and see if any of them can fill my needs. Converting an original C1 or C2 body to fit a C5 is way to much trouble. I was hoping that some one made a body specifically to fit a C5 that I could purchase and do the install at our shop. Does anyone have any more leads?
BillyTz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

 
Nowhere Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Sitting in his Nowhere land New Oxford Pa
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?
Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTz06 View Post
Thanks for the imput guys. The CRC car is the one that I saw in the picture. It seems that they do the mods themselves and don't sell any body panels. I will give all of the companies referenced and see if any of them can fill my needs. Converting an original C1 or C2 body to fit a C5 is way to much trouble. I was hoping that some one made a body specifically to fit a C5 that I could purchase and do the install at our shop. Does anyone have any more leads?
buy one that is done.
Nowhere Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
BillyTz06
CF Senior Member
 
BillyTz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Hometown The best
Default

What !!! Buy one already done and miss the flustriation, pure hell, busted knuckles, headaches, having to fabricate things ten times, etc. and then the gratification of finally completing it and saying I done it myself. Not on your life.
BillyTz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

 
Nowhere Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Sitting in his Nowhere land New Oxford Pa
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?
Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTz06 View Post
What !!! Buy one already done and miss the flustriation, pure hell, busted knuckles, headaches, having to fabricate things ten times, etc. and then the gratification of finally completing it and saying I done it myself. Not on your life.
then have fun destroying a C5 for a passing fad
Nowhere Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
aussieross01
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al89 View Post
you peel the body off and there is NO frame but there is a wood floor no frame as i said i have wrecked many and have built many cars useing the c4 and c5 running gear
Check the webpage on my project www.prodigy-z06.com and then come back and tell me there's no chassis on a C5.

I haven't been working on a mirage for the last 6 years. I'm sorry, I don't care how many you've wrecked over the years:- C5's have a chassis, and it's a darn good one, which is why we chose to use it for our project.
aussieross01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #20
aussieross01
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
but it does not have a "frame" like a mid year. its a uni body construction car.
No, it doesn't have a frame 'like' a C2, but it has one nevertheless.

As we all know a C2 body bolts onto the C2 frame. It's been a while since I've done one, but it's 8 bolts for memory.

The C5 uses a perimeter frame, with a centre structural tunnel that provides fantastic structural rigidity. The rear boot tub is glued to the frame, and the rear panels then screw onto the tub. The front wheel wells are again glued to the frame and the front guards screw to these wheel wells.

C5's are not uni body constructed cars as you suggest. Unibodied vehicles rely on the floorpan attached to the body to give its structural integrity:- C5 construction is nothing like this

Hope this clear this up guys, let's give this poor OP some correct information.
aussieross01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page C2 Repro Body kit
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1953, 2000, body, c2, c3, c5, c6, chassis, corvette, fit, frame, kit, kits, older, repoduction, repro


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2