C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Repro Body kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Prodgity-Z06 website is great infomation. That is an awesome build. You guys did a magnificant job building that car. I know you are proud of the results.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:41 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyTz06
The Prodgity-Z06 website is great infomation. That is an awesome build. You guys did a magnificant job building that car. I know you are proud of the results.
Thanks BillyT, yes we are proud of what we achieved with Prodigy:- but we wanted something specific, and set about achieving those goals.

It was thou, a time consuming and difficult journey. I wouldn't do it again, and certainly am not encouraging you to.

I have seen a yellow C1 that had the underpinnings of a C5 Z06, and it was also fitted with a supercharger. It was a neat job, thou perhaps the proportions didn't look quite right behind the doors, but that could have been the angle of photography.
It used a geniune C1 body, and the C5 interior.
I liked it, because the builder dared to do something different, and that always attracts my interest.

Mating a C1 body to a C5 rolling chassis is certainly much more doable than endeavouring to achieve the same result with a C2.
C1 wheelbase is not vastly different from a C1 to a C5, but the C2 has a much smaller wheelbase. Just checkout the finished shots of Prodigy on the website. Rear dogleg is huge compared to the original, and that's after we lengthened the doors 3".

I chose the C5 platform because we owned one at the time, and they are fabulous driving cars, with all the bells and whistles. I often thought whilst driving this car how cool it would be to have ALL these features in a classic old shape.
Most people underestimate, or dissregard the C5 chassis entirely. My opinion is that the factory spent millions developing it, why chuck it out? I was hell bent on using everything on my donor car for my project, and have absolutley no regrets:- and it's all geniune Corvette stuff.

Certainly the most travelled route is use an aftermarket chassis, on a basically standard body, buy bits from various vendors, and put it all together. It's a safe approach, and you'll end up with a neat car, that if done right, won't be like flushing money down the toilet.

At the end of the day thou, it's all about what you want to achieve.
Don't let anyone tell you, you can't, or shouldn't do something.
Have a dream, and follow it.
There's certainly a lot of expertise on this forum, and like me, always happy to help if we can.
I wish you well, whatever road you travel.
Rgds
Ross
Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Gotta have a bumper!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...1&d=1328674004
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thorson
The brief for the build was to build a modern contemporary interpretation of the classic design:- bumpers didn't fit the build plan in our view.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 AM
appelen
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the build Ross that looks very nice and clean, for guys that don't have the resources or experience to do a project of that magnitude get your self a C2 project car and a Newman chassi, and there are bodypanels availible to get a 315 wide tire under it without hacking up the C4 suspension and you can use modified original bumpers and it still looks like a C2 but on steroids and any decent custom body shop should be able to do it. once again awesome job Ross.
AE
Originally Posted by aussieross01
The brief for the build was to build a modern contemporary interpretation of the classic design:- bumpers didn't fit the build plan in our view.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:24 AM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by appelen
Congrats on the build Ross that looks very nice and clean, for guys that don't have the resources or experience to do a project of that magnitude get your self a C2 project car and a Newman chassi, and there are bodypanels availible to get a 315 wide tire under it without hacking up the C4 suspension and you can use modified original bumpers and it still looks like a C2 but on steroids and any decent custom body shop should be able to do it. once again awesome job Ross.
AE
Thanks Appelen,

Prodigy was a once in a lifetime 'bucket list' project for me, and I have no desire to repeat it, or suggest anybody else do it. The design had been rattling around in my head for more years than I care to remember, and I more than pleased with the end result. It has awsome presence in the flesh, and photos don't do it justice at all.

Anyway ,don't need to hijack this thread. We're here to help the OP.

Rgds
Ross
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by aussieross01
No, it doesn't have a frame 'like' a C2, but it has one nevertheless.

As we all know a C2 body bolts onto the C2 frame. It's been a while since I've done one, but it's 8 bolts for memory.

The C5 uses a perimeter frame, with a centre structural tunnel that provides fantastic structural rigidity. The rear boot tub is glued to the frame, and the rear panels then screw onto the tub. The front wheel wells are again glued to the frame and the front guards screw to these wheel wells.

C5's are not uni body constructed cars as you suggest. Unibodied vehicles rely on the floorpan attached to the body to give its structural integrity:- C5 construction is nothing like this

Hope this clear this up guys, let's give this poor OP some correct information.
best I could up with in a google image search.

http://www.i-car.com.au/graphics/abo...ize/fig_03.jpg
Old 02-08-2012, 06:03 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

The C5 chassis is a fabulous piece of work.

They are light, strong, and super rigid. It beats me why more are not used on custom car projects, it's a fabulous platform, and of course all the neat C5 mechanical stuff bolts right in.
You also have the lightweight fibreglass enclosed balsa wood floors.
The more I researched this before I started my project, the more I wanted to use it, and indeed everything else on my donor car.

Yet there seems to be an all too common belief out there that C5's have no chassis:- go figure.

And of course the good news is that C5 donor cars are now real cheap.

Quick Reply: C2 Repro Body kit