C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Power Steering Pump Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Power Steering Pump Rebuild

Looking for advice . . .

Got a noise coming from the front of my power steering pump on the '66, most likely a bearing I'd suspect. There are no leaks in the system, just the noisy front bearing that's started somewhat recently.

I'm guessing most of you guys will advise a complete rebuild once the pump is removed, and I more than likely will go that route regardless. But I'm wondering, how difficult and what is involved in rebuilding the pump? Does anybody have any good "go to" articles or posts on such a rebuild? And, who would you recommend as a parts source??

Thanks much for any input!!

Ron
Old 03-30-2012, 02:17 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First you need to make sure it's the bearing. If you have a extra long large screw driver 24''(the longer the better) place on power steering housing with engine running, cup your hand around the screw driver handle and cup the top part of your hand to your ear. You now have a poor man's stethoscope. You should hear the bearing noise if it has one. “Make sure you don’t hit the fan by mistake”. If it has a intermitting clicking sound check your belt. If the pump makes a howling sound when turning check level of fluid, or it could be air bound. This should get you in the ballpark.

Good luck
rustylugnuts
Old 04-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already traced the source of the sound down to the front bearing area of the power steering pump. I prefer using a 3-foot or so section of garden hose for tracking down suspicious sounds myself. For me it allows much more flexibility than using a screwdriver against my ear, a little safer too in close quarters I think.

What I was really looking for was a few comments/suggestions by someone who has rebuilt a PS pump and had some insight.

Thanks for the info!

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Pump Rebuild

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Rebuild