C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 PM
RREEVES
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Starting problem

Let me start by saying that the carb is not getting gas, I pulled the fuel line from tank to make sure gas was flowing from tank, which it is,
I changed the fuel pump about 10 months ago with new pump, any suggestions why gas is not getting to carb?
Using short rubber fuel line from long metal fuel line to fuel pump, and using rubber fuel line from fuel pump up to carb.
Could the rubber line have kinked...
Ron
Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 PM
kskid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check other side of fuel pump to make sure its pumping.
A kink in line should be easy to spot.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 PM
RREEVES
Racer

Will do, I also thought about by-passing the fuel tank and trying to pump some gas from a small container thru the rubber line going directly into fuel pump. I just can't imagine a bad pump in only 10 months, it's a pain to change.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

make sure none of the rubber lines are cracked.. if they are, you could be drawing air and not getting enough suction from the pump to overcome the air leak. had this happen on an old CJ7 before - the rubber line section back by the tank was dry rotted.. didn't figure it out until after changing fuel pumps!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

Ok from your profile, is it correct to assume we are talking about a 63 Corvette?? What carb are you running, WCFB, or AFB??

Simple test, pull the fuel line from the carb, got fuel and pressure when you crank? Replace the rubber line from the pump to the carb in any case, they were hard piped for a reason and try again. If that does not solve your problem, the pump is all thats left. Pilot Dan
Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 AM
RREEVES
Racer

Yes, it is a 63. Currently the carb is an Elderbrock. I will probably change all the rubber fuel lines going to the pump and leaving the pump to the carb. Like you said, the only thing left is the pump.

thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To Starting problem

Quick Reply: Starting problem