C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help needed re horn removal in 1960

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Temujen2000
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed re horn removal in 1960

I am a newbie, but with some mechanical experience dating back 40 years.
Here is my horn removal problem. The AIM shows that the horn is connected with one bold that threads into a plate assembly behind the skirt. The bold started OK, but then it appears the plate assembly became dislodged from the skirt because it now just turns without unthreading.
It appears there is no access to the area behind the skirt, to fasten or hold the spinning plate assembly. I was able to re-tighten it so at least the horn is not dangling.
I would like to keep it stock, but if I don't have options, I may opt to install a after market horn in the area behind the grill, so from a safety standpoint I at least can make noise.
What are my options?
Thanks for you help.
Lou
Old 12-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Hello and welcome. I experienced that same problem when I first got my 59 Vette 30 plus years ago brings back memories.

Your problem is that the horns (as do many other items on the Corvette) mount using a nut plate that is riveted to the body and a bolt goes through. The rivets are soft and when the bolts rust in they can shear and leave the plate to turn free, or worse break the fiberglass. Sounds like that is what happened here.

Unfortunately the location is a real PITA because of access, but it is reachable. If you get the car jacked up and remove the wheel, you will be able to reach the nut plate. Try to grab it with a medium size Vise grips to hold it (it would help to have an extra pair of hands). Reach the bolt from the top and try some penetrating oil and see if you can work the bolt and get it out. If not, remove the hood for better access and cut the head of the bolt off with a dremel tool. The plate will then fall and you can either repair or buy a new one as needed. Pop rivet in place, get a new bolt and you are done. The original horns are very expensive and unless you are going to get your car judged, you can get a set of Delco reproduction horns with adjustable brackets that will work fine and sound better than the stuff at the local FLAPS. Pilot Dan
Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

One option is to pull the headlight bucket:

Old 12-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Temujen2000
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for both suggestions. Gives me something to go on. I feared that it was 100% inaccessible. Instead, it sounds like it's 95% inaccessible.
It's a great resource to have you guys on this forum.
Lou
Old 12-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=mashinter;1579611037]One option is to pull the headlight bucket:

Good idea.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Pilot Dan, would you recommend removing the hood to remove one of the horns? I thought I could remove a few of the vertical chrome pieces from the grill to get access to it but I'm not sure it would fit between the top of the grill and the horizontal chrome piece.
Thanks, Captain Bud
Old 07-21-2014, 05:33 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

I know this is a old thread.......

IIRC, if you have a helper, release the hood support strut at the hood and have the helper hold the hood straight up. This adds a little more room in the opening to extract the horn.

No need to pull the hood completely. Besides, if you have a 58-60, it's easier to pull the grille to get at the horns if you cannot get them past the hood.

Rich
Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Do as Rich says and the horns can be wrestled out with the hood on.

Put some wide strips of that blue quick-release painters tape on the edges of hood and front surround if you think you might booger up the paint doing the removal - but be careful and that shouldn't happen.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:44 PM
claudeC1'60
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Temujen2000
I am a newbie, but with some mechanical experience dating back 40 years.
Here is my horn removal problem. The AIM shows that the horn is connected with one bold that threads into a plate assembly behind the skirt. The bold started OK, but then it appears the plate assembly became dislodged from the skirt because it now just turns without unthreading.
It appears there is no access to the area behind the skirt, to fasten or hold the spinning plate assembly. I was able to re-tighten it so at least the horn is not dangling.
I would like to keep it stock, but if I don't have options, I may opt to install a after market horn in the area behind the grill, so from a safety standpoint I at least can make noise.
What are my options?
Thanks for you help.
Lou
I had exactly the same issue with the plate so I removed the headlight to have access as others already mentioned. As for horn remove/replace, if you remove the bottom plate between the radiator and the grill, you can extract the old horn and install the new one.
Easy
Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Default Really easy way

Originally Posted by claudeC1'60
I had exactly the same issue with the plate so I removed the headlight to have access as others already mentioned. As for horn remove/replace, if you remove the bottom plate between the radiator and the grill, you can extract the old horn and install the new one.
Easy
The center bar is held to the side bumpers by 2 screws behind the center bar. Remove the end tooth on each side of the center bar and unscrew the center bar which gives access to the horns. My horn had a bad ground. A few seconds on the wire wheel fixed it.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rich5962
I know this is a old thread.......

IIRC, if you have a helper, release the hood support strut at the hood and have the helper hold the hood straight up. This adds a little more room in the opening to extract the horn.

No need to pull the hood completely. Besides, if you have a 58-60, it's easier to pull the grille to get at the horns if you cannot get them past the hood.

Rich
on 58-60 you only need to remove 2 teeth from the grill (not the whole grill) a 2 minute job
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Well guys, I got the offending horn out of the car and it and it appears dead. It works sometime. I just happen to come across a video on You Tube about Corvette horns. Here is the link:

After looking at the horns from various years, it appears my horns are from a 1957 Corvette. The picture in the video looks exactly like mine. Now, sine one of my horns does not work anyway, I don't want to spend money having the wrong horns restored. What would the forum recommend?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 PM
C1 driver
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

The correct part number for 1960 horns are 351 and 352. You could find used ones on Ebay and have them restored. There are several horn restorers around.

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed re horn removal in 1960

Quick Reply: Help needed re horn removal in 1960