C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Has anyone ever heard of the Vintage Corvette Club Of America?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Drew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone ever heard of the Vintage Corvette Club Of America?

Hello All.....A friend of mine called me the other day and asked if I would be interested in some old Corvette magazines that he had picked up working on a foreclosed house that the people had left behind. He knows I have been into Corvettes for a long time. Anyway I said sure and I went over to his house and picked them up.
It turns out they are published by the Vintage Corvette Club of America 1953, 54, 55. All the magazines are from the 1970-1974 time period and are called "Blue Flame Special". It seems this Club was Heavily into the early Solid Axle Cars. In the mags are lots of tech articals from Chevrolet and also articals and stories taken from Old Corvette News issues and make for some very interesting reading, especially the Cars "For Sale" section....Anyone want to buy a '67 427/435 Coupe, Perfect Showroom New 30,000 miles, never in rain or snow $3500. Also lots of pics of members and their cars and Car Shows, NCCC events, etc.
I have the complete Club roster from 1975 and lists peoples names and where they live all over the country and it's pretty extensive.
This Club was Pre-NCRS, as NCRS was started in 1974. I wonder if this Club developed into the NCRS? If anyone has any info ot this Club please post away as this is a Club I was unaware of....Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:31 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,337 Posts

The Vintage Corvette Club of America was founded by Ed Thiebaud, the well known turkey farmer and Corvette collector from Fresno CA. The VCCoA predated the NCRS and many of it's members, later became early members of the NCRS. I know that Nolan Adams, Gary Mortimer, John Amgwert, Jack Podell, and Chip Miller were all members of the VCCoA.

Around the same time, a group of Corvette owners started a club in Ohio, the Classic Corvette Club. Many of the VCCoA's members also became members of the CCC. I don't recall exactly what happened to the VCCoA, but the CCC eventually grew into the NCRS, and I think the VCCoA just sort of passed away.

Early 70's issues of the GM magazine, Corvette News, featured articles about Ed Thiebaud and the VCCoA.

Others here should probably know more about the VCCoA, and may be able to give more details about the club and it's relationship to the early days of the NCRS.

I'd say that you made a good find there.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:14 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

GB VETTE 62 is very correct. I was also a member of Vintage Corvette Club of America, but not until 1973.Many of the old Corvette Geezers like me belonged. Jeff Reade, Roy Bratz, Noland Adams, Larry Pearson are a few West Coast members back in the day.

And you are right, it was from this group and George Campbell of the International Registry of Early Corvettes Club in Corvallis, Oregon and the midwest Clubs and people mentioned including Gary Mortimer, Tom Essig, Jay Kellog, Sam Folz, John Amgwert, Joe Chess, Dick Cambell, Charles Sagonek, Dora Pence and Steve Hero that created the first NCRS Meet at the Holiday Inn in Wapaknoeta, Ohio on June 1-2, 1974. The club was founded that weekend and established a $8.00 A YEAR ANNUAL DUES. The clubs purpose was for people interested in the PRESERVATION, RESTORATION AND ENJOYMENT OF 1953-62 Corvettes. At the time I owned a 65 fuel coupe, which was to new for the club, but I had just purchased my first 57 Corvette and lusted for info on all these cars. As they say, there was strength in numbers. They had 150 people at that first meet and 33 Corvettes, 19 of which were 53-55 models. JOE PIKE and BECKY BODNER from CORVETTE NEWS were special guests, and their efforts insured proper notice of the new club in the Chevrolet community.
Drew, would be be interested in selling these newsletters?

Last edited by jimgessner; 12-30-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:49 PM
oldskydog
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I joined VCCoA in 72 when I bought my 56. I visited Ed at the turkey ranch and was amazed at his collection. He had a pressurized showroom for the better cars inside the old hangar. If you look hard enough, you can get a glimpse of 53 #003.
I still have all my issues of the mag.

Last edited by oldskydog; 12-30-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Back in 66 I wonted to buy a T-Bird loved the look and wonted a sports car to drive around . But they were out of my price rang , I then realized that no one was interested in Corvettes and found a 57 Corvette for $50.00 , that started my interest in Corvettes and I stated looking for them . In the next two years I acquired 6 Corvettes from 53 to 57 never paying anymore then $100.00 for each. I loved driving my 54 and many times saw others going the other way on the freeway// I getting off trying to catch the driver to ask about his. Well I then decided to run a add asking anyone that wonted to meet owing a 53 to 57 meet me in a park. 6 Corvettes showed up from 53 to 57 , I decided to start a club but for only 53 to 57 because that's the years I liked and had many , so in 1969 Vintage Corvettes of Southern Ca. Began . Later I heard of a organization just started in 75 called NCRS and joined it . Vintage Corvettes is still going.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Drew
Instructor

WOW, Great info and pics, and Thanks to all for posting on this Topic so far.
I have always loved Corvettes as long as I can remember. Believe me I love the look and the Historic significance of the solid axle cars.
I also just found in the box the first Three VCCOA Club Newsletters.
Vol 1 #1 was printed Jan. 15, 1969. Membership 38
Vol 1 #2 was printed April, 1969. Membership 79
Vol 1 #3 was printed July, 1969. Membership 131
I am going to try and get some pic's of some of this stuff and post it
up here for all to see and en

As I said earlier I have the Club Roster from 1974 and 1975.

I also found a 15 page publication called "High Caliper Braking"
Written by Zora Arkus-Duntov and Arnold R. Brown
Chevrolet Motor Division, General Motors
Arthur R. Shaw
Delco Moraine Division
Presented to the 1965 Intl. Automotive Engineering Congress
Detroit, Michigan, January 11-15 1965.

Hi Jim.....I don't think I'm looking to sell anything at the moment. I find this kind of history very interesting....Thanks again for the posts so far....
Old 12-30-2011, 03:23 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by oldskydog
I joined VCCoA in 72 when I bought my 56. I visited Ed at the turkey ranch and was amazed at his collection. He had a pressurized showroom for the better cars inside the old hangar. If you look hard enough, you can get a glimpse of 53 #003.
I still have all my issues of the mag.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that looks like the inside of Howard Kirsch's place in Tulsa, years ago.

Tom Parsons
Old 12-31-2011, 03:07 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Drew, look close at that membership list. I think my name and Roy's and Jeff Reade and Tom Parsons are all there listed.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by jimgessner
Drew, look close at that membership list. I think my name and Roy's and Jeff Reade and Tom Parsons are all there listed.
Should also find my Dad's name. I don't think I ever joined.

Jim
Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 PM
corvettecsn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look in Russ Uzes web site www.earlycorvettes.com under early corvette info. He has copies of most Blue Flame newsletters. Great web site and good reading of old publications.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Originally Posted by corvettecsn
Look in Russ Uzes web site www.earlycorvettes.com under early corvette info. He has copies of most Blue Flame newsletters. Great web site and good reading of old publications.
Russ has really added some very helpful updates to his website, especially the 1957 AIM, and 57 FUEL INJECTION service manuals.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew
WOW, Great info and pics, and Thanks to all for posting on this Topic so far.
I have always loved Corvettes as long as I can remember. Believe me I love the look and the Historic significance of the solid axle cars.
I also just found in the box the first Three VCCOA Club Newsletters.
Vol 1 #1 was printed Jan. 15, 1969. Membership 38
Vol 1 #2 was printed April, 1969. Membership 79
Vol 1 #3 was printed July, 1969. Membership 131
I am going to try and get some pic's of some of this stuff and post it
up here for all to see and en

As I said earlier I have the Club Roster from 1974 and 1975.

I also found a 15 page publication called "High Caliper Braking"
Written by Zora Arkus-Duntov and Arnold R. Brown
Chevrolet Motor Division, General Motors
Arthur R. Shaw
Delco Moraine Division
Presented to the 1965 Intl. Automotive Engineering Congress
Detroit, Michigan, January 11-15 1965.

Hi Jim.....I don't think I'm looking to sell anything at the moment. I find this kind of history very interesting....Thanks again for the posts so far....
Those early issue "Vintage Corvette Club of America" newsletters are very rare. They're the "precursor" to the magazine Blue Flame Special.

They're the old blue ink mimeographed style, not black and white, and V1 and V2 are sorta hand cut to an 8" x 8" size. VERY crude.

I have a complete collection of the newslettes/magazines along with all the rosters too.

The "High Caliper Braking" book you have is/was a supplement to Corvette News back in the 1965 time frame.

Chuck
Attached Images    
Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 PM
YesA59
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the nice words, guys. Ed Thiebaud gave me permission to scan and post all of his old magazines about 5 years ago. The magazines starting with Vol 1 #1 (a mimeograph as described by Chuck) are here - VCC Magazines.

Ed asked me not to post the roster of owners, as the roster lists addresses.

Russ
Old 01-01-2012, 01:53 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
Very cool! Great history.

Cheers,
JB
Old 01-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Another neat piece.

This is about an 8" diameter VCCA patch.

Chuck
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Drew
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimgessner
Hi Jim......I have the '74 and '75 Rosters. All the States are listed and the members are listed in the State in which they lived in alphabetical order.
I haven't looked at them that close yet. I've been too busy reading the Blue Flame magazines LOL.....They are Great.
In looking over the '74 roster briefly I did notice two names I think everyone knows, Noland Adams and Zora Arkus-Duntov.
Thanks again for all the interesting replies. This Club was a little before my time. I turned 11 in '69, when the Club began. I sure do like the History though.....
Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
Back in 66 I wonted to buy a T-Bird loved the look and wonted a sports car to drive around . But they were out of my price rang , I then realized that no one was interested in Corvettes and found a 57 Corvette for $50.00 , that started my interest in Corvettes and I stated looking for them . In the next two years I acquired 6 Corvettes from 53 to 57 never paying anymore then $100.00 for each. I loved driving my 54 and many times saw others going the other way on the freeway// I getting off trying to catch the driver to ask about his. Well I then decided to run a add asking anyone that wonted to meet owing a 53 to 57 meet me in a park. 6 Corvettes showed up from 53 to 57 , I decided to start a club but for only 53 to 57 because that's the years I liked and had many , so in 1969 Vintage Corvettes of Southern Ca. Began . Later I heard of a organization just started in 75 called NCRS and joined it . Vintage Corvettes is still going.

Clarification, Vintage Corvettes of Southern California (VCSC) is not associated with Vintage Corvettes of America. That is a cool old shot of the VCSC logo, it was updated a few years ago to reflect they let all years Corvettes in. I don't have a picture handy of the new logo, but it's great.
Bruce

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone ever heard of the Vintage Corvette Club Of America?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:58 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Great history
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Apexemall
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VCCA Early Member

I just found this post. If anyone is still listening.

I was a member (not very active) of the VCCA during the early 70's. I have most, if not all of the early newsletters and Blue Flame Specials. I am listed in the '75 roster.

I have a '54 which has resided in my basement garage for the last 40 years. I have had it since '62 or '63. My father bought if for me when I was in high school. I've just started restoring it. Frame off.

If anyone is interested in consulting occasionally on the restoration, please send me a PM. I know much of what I need, but I'm sure I'll need some questions on details answered.

Clyde
Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Please start a new thread, Clyde

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever heard of the Vintage Corvette Club Of America?