C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil pressure sending question for you LS restomod guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 PM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Oil pressure sending question for you LS restomod guys

I'm running Autometer gauges on the '04 LS6 motor I'm putting in my '65 convertible and ran into an interference issue. The Autometer sending unit is about 2" in diameter and if I try to install it at the back of the block it won't clear the back of the intake manifold. It sure looks like trying to install a right angle or even a 45 degree fitting won't clear either. Is it possible to pick up oil pressure somewhere else on the block, or can you describe how you overcame this interference?
Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Look on the lower right side near the pan. There should be a boss that unbolts. That is where I put my sending unit on my LS3.

oWEN
Old 12-03-2011, 01:27 PM
jerrymcb
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are kits available from vendors to relocate the sending unit on a C5.
I believe they use a flex hose to do so. You might look at one of those to
see if it would help.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:31 PM
rick piras
Instructor

Thanks for the help guys.
Owen, I have the motor out of the car right now, but I'm unable to locate what you describe, maybe the boss isn't on the first gen LS motors?
Jerry, thanks for the pointer. I had no idea the sending unit was such an issue on C5's until I started searching on this topic in the C5 section.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by rick piras
I'm running Autometer gauges on the '04 LS6 motor I'm putting in my '65 convertible and ran into an interference issue. The Autometer sending unit is about 2" in diameter and if I try to install it at the back of the block it won't clear the back of the intake manifold. It sure looks like trying to install a right angle or even a 45 degree fitting won't clear either. Is it possible to pick up oil pressure somewhere else on the block, or can you describe how you overcame this interference?
Thanks in advance,
Rick
There is a place to pick up oil pressure on block as stated before.

There is another way to run both stock pressure gage, aftermarket or stock mechanical gage by using a Oil pressure tee from street & performance. It a fitting that mounts where the stock oil pressure sending unit mounts in block, and then has NPT hole in it's side to mount aftermarket sending unit or stock C2 oil pressure gage copper tube fitting.

Last page of LS section of catalog, just to left of alternator picture and right below picture of LS9 engine.

http://hotrodlane.cc/2010%20PDF%20CA...g2010main.html

I use one on both of my LS engines. One has stock mechanical gage and the other has aftermarket electric gage.

You should be able to see the aftermarket oil pressure sending unit mounted in one, with stock LS sending united mounted in top.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:08 PM
rick piras
Instructor

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks! I was out in the garage earlier thinking about a similar "solution" with pipe fittings that would've looked hideous. I'll order from S&P Monday.
Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure sending question for you LS restomod guys

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sending question for you LS restomod guys