C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Have you looked at your convertibe top frame lately?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Have you looked at your convertibe top frame lately?

Thirty some years ago I put a German Haartz Sonneland canvas top on my 66 roadster. I was tired of the cheap vinyl tops of the time, and as I drove my car all the time, I wanted a top that would look good and last.

30 years later and 150,000 plus miles, it was time for a new top. I have some pictures to share with you of what I found under my old top.

I knew that one of the rivets on the frame was not working as the weatherstrip on the drivers side would not line up, leaving a gap between the window and the two window weatherstrips that bolt on.

First I must say that the material used (tackboard) 45 years ago is far superior to the "fiberboard" sold now. The original board was fiber board sewn between two leather strips.

I found some rust that I have to deal with . The problem that many face with their tops is the nylon bushing that centers the rivets. When it breaks, the top mechanism does not work correctly and you will have uneven weatherstrip problems.

It usually is not the rivet as I found out, but the bushing.

Next, you can order the rivets from most vendors, but none listed the nylon bushing. Without it , you will not be able to fix the problem and be able to set the rivet.

Jerry Sullivan of "Sully's Tops" www.SullysTops.com 1-800-451-3998 Fresno, CA

Gave me a call and he has the bushings. He actually manufacturers the rivets for the vendors who sell them. Funny they don't list them.

He put them in the mail and said, " send me the check when you get them" Very nice man and I would use him for any parts that may be needed to restore the top frame. He is a 17 year NCRS member

Setting the rivet. You need to clamp the rivet, and frame tight, block the rivet and smack the end of the rivet with the hole with a big hammer. Flatten it a bit and pine it over.

I will let you know how that works, I ordered extra rivets just in-case

32 year old top

Bottom , top , sides , rivet hole , rust areas , straps , fiber tack strip of frame

Original tack strip

Rivet and nylon bushing

Weatherstrip kit and padding to be put on after canvas is installed

I am having the top installed after seeing the way the tacks have to be driven. Speedy did it 30 years ago for me and he will do it again on the 12th.

I hope the frame comes out OK, I am doing the work and I am always leery of my work.

I will post some more pictures as I get to work

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 02-27-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Call Jerry

Jerry Sullivan of "Sully's Tops" www.SullysTops.com 1-800-451-3998 Fresno, CA

Gave me a call and he has the bushings. He actually manufacturers the rivets for the vendors who sell them. Funny they don't list them.

He put them in the mail and said, " send me the check when you get them"

Very nice man and I would use him for any parts that may be needed to restore top frames.

Jack
Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,963 Likes on 665 Posts

Jack,

When I replaced my top @ 12 years ago, I was amazed at how badly rusted the header was . . . it was so bad that I had to replace the header. The other parts of the top frame just needed to be sanded and re-painted. Good luck with your latest project!

Tom
Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 AM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I wonder if the canvas tops let more moisture through than a vinyl (stock) top does? Thanks Jack for the info... bookmarked www.SullysTops.com

Last edited by vt65; 12-03-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:22 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Jackfit,

Yup, Sully Tops for me too! Had to replace the header bar on my top frame last year. Sully to the rescue. Not cheap but the EXACT replacement part.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,470 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Jack, I know your up for that job, so keep us posted. You really know how to make us convertable owners nervous. Dennis
Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I got my parts from Sulleys too.. great guy to work with and very knowledgeable.

David
Old 12-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Covertible Top Frame done

Just finished up the frame this afternoon. I drive the car to the installer tomorrow. Weather is going to be cold but dry.

As show in pictures, my frame needed two nylon bushings replaced. The hard part is the setting of the rivets. You can order the rivets from the usual vendors, but it is not the rivet that goes, it is the bushing. You need a special setting tool and the ability to block the rivet. Palmers Springs Shop, making springs and carriages since 1860's had a 70 year old part worker who could set it for me.
A large hammer and anvil helped.

Sully's Tops in Fresno CA was the only place I could find to get the bushings. Jerry makes the rivets for vendors.

Rivet and bushings

Before

After

Sandblasting rust

Old frame

Restored frame on car ready to top installation

Tomorrow pictures of top on car

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 02-27-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Not the canvas

Originally Posted by vt65
I wonder if the canvas tops let more moisture through than a vinyl (stock) top does? Thanks Jack for the info... bookmarked www.SullysTops.com
What I found out is that the old fashion, original tack strip, and the "correct " fiber one that you can now buy , is the culprit.

The fiber holds the moisture and helps cause the rust.

The "vinyl" replacement tack is better. It is plastic and does not absorb water. The installer told me to send it back as he only uses the vinyl.

When I took the old top off, most of the rust was where the fiber tack strips are. Even on the mid bows, that have 3/4 felt and 1//4 tack strips on ends, only the ends had rust.

Jack
Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Just finished up the frame this afternoon. I drive the car to the installer tomorrow. Weather is going to be cold but dry.

As show in pictures, my frame needed two nylon bushings replaced. The hard part is the setting of the rivets. You can order the rivets from the usual vendors, but it is not the rivet that goes, it is the bushing. You need a special setting tool and the ability to block the rivet. Palmers Springs Shop, making springs and carriages since 1860's had a 70 year old part worker who could set it for me.
A large hammer and anvil helped.

Sully's Tops in Fresno CA was the only place I could find to get the bushings. Jerry makes the rivets for vendors.

Rivet and bushings

Before

After

Sandblasting rust

Old frame

Restored frame on car ready to top installation

Tomorrow pictures of top on car

Jack
Thanks for the reply, frame looks great!.....I like your steering wheel Jack, where did you get it??
Old 12-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Steering wheel

Originally Posted by vt65
Thanks for the reply, frame looks great!.....I like your steering wheel Jack, where did you get it??
After 42 years of my knees hitting the original wheel, I found this one in the Mid-America Motorworks catalog.

It is a replacement for C3-4 cars , but it fits our hub more or less. Comes in colors and is 15" cost about $200

I have power steering and did not need the extra leverage from the larger wheel. After getting use to it, it feels much better than the old wheel

Jack
Old 12-11-2011, 09:27 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Hey Jack,

Did you have to replace that header bar on the top frame? I noticed the corners were pretty badly rusted out. That's exactly how mine was. Sully Tops to the rescue. They're the only outfit that makes the replacement headers (so I'm told). That was a pricey fix for me. Good as new now.

Great pics of the before, during and after on this refurbished top frame.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default No did not replace

Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
Hey Jack,

Did you have to replace that header bar on the top frame? I noticed the corners were pretty badly rusted out. That's exactly how mine was. Sully Tops to the rescue. They're the only outfit that makes the replacement headers (so I'm told). That was a pricey fix for me. Good as new now.

Great pics of the before, during and after on this refurbished top frame.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Hi Jim,

No I did not replace the front bow, most of the rust was to the corner bottom track that holds the tack strip. The top part that the canvas will go over was pretty strong still, so I just rust proofed the frame, and I am sure it will last long after my driving days are over.

The rest of the frame is in great condition, it will be nice to have nice looking frame to look at when the top is up. The old top even after 30 years , never leaked and looked pretty good , until I started the 48 state trip. I had so much stuff packed that I had to really push down on the frame to to close the deck with the top down. The frame pushed through the canvas after a while.

But , the frame did need work as we could see.

I will post pictures of the completed top tomorrow.

Just one more last job to do on car and that is the steering box rebuild. It is the last original , un rebuilt part left on the car and after 46 years, I am sure it could use it. My suspension is great after all the new stock parts, and this last little job will complete my restoration list.

Lots of little stuff ( loose bolt rolling around door) door felt screws coming loose etc, but the car will be all set for maybe a long boat voyage to the old world and new adventures

We shall see

Cheers

Jack

Santa , could you bring a lift like Jim has
Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Great write up. This is my next project.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Would you leave your car here ?

Now the wait, Speed is only 75 years old, I think the car will be done soon.....

He was waiting for his 60 year old helper to come in

He did the top on my car when he was 45 years old, hope his work is still just as good as it was in 1981

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 12-12-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default From Speed to Slow in thirty years

I stopped in to see if any progress was being made on my top, Speed said yes and told me , "Don't come back until I call you"

I asked him when that might be? He said " when I do "

I slowly backed out of the door, saying " Oh that's good, I'll wait for your call.

I must have been really silly to think I would get my car back in the same day, he did hint that it might be on Friday.

Of course, I asked him when that might be on Friday ? he said "when I call"

Jack

PS I did get a peek, looks like he still does good work, just a little slower now
Old 12-14-2011, 03:38 PM
JimDD
Instructor

What are your plans for the old top? I could use the rear window if its in any kind of shape..

Get notified of new replies

To Have you looked at your convertibe top frame lately?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default It is new

Originally Posted by JimDD
What are your plans for the old top? I could use the rear window if its in any kind of shape..
Hi,

I have not decided yet what to do with the top.

I had a sail maker here in Maine sew a new window in the old top with the frame still attached last year just before I went on my 48 state trip.

He did all of it by hand almost.

If I don't want it , I will be happy to give it to you.

When I get my car back, I will decide.

Jack
Old 12-15-2011, 12:25 AM
JimDD
Instructor

"Hi,

I have not decided yet what to do with the top.

I had a sail maker here in Maine sew a new window in the old top with the frame still attached last year just before I went on my 48 state trip.

He did all of it by hand almost.

If I don't want it , I will be happy to give it to you.

When I get my car back, I will decide.

Jack"

Thanks Jack, that would be awesome. Just let me know at your convenience.

I can't seem to find anyone in my area willing to sew another one in so I'm just gonna do it myself.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Haartz German Sonnaland Canvas

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
You've waited a reasonable amount of time Jack, so go in and have a peek. And......take pics, can't wait to see the new chapeau! Did you go vinyl or cloth again. What supplier did you use?
I used the same material (30 years ago) a soft canvas that is used on jags and mercedes. It lasts for ever, I poked holes in my top with all the stuff I put in the back and always had the top pushed down to close deck.

Old Top 30+ years

The back window is the first to go, and I have replaced it twice

The new top will look just like the old one, just new. It is double lined, and the stitching is perfect.

You can get the top at ( AutoBerry ) I believe they make a lot of the tops for vendors. The top was made in CA by this company,

They have all the patterns for different make of cars, and you just pick the style car and type of fabric you want.

It takes about a week for them to make it and send it to you.

I bought the high end fabric and it was $375 for the best.

$100 less for regular Haartz Softtop canvas $275 and about $175 for vinyl .

They do not sell pads or any hardware. Just the top.

I was impressed with the workmanship. If you do not need a vinyl top for judging, you will be very happy for a long time with this type of top.

Putting it up or down will not wrinkle it or hurt it.

Jack

Ps Autoberry site

Web site http://www.autoberry.com/

63-67 page

http://www.autoberry.com/details.php?products_id=220&
categories_id=

Last edited by Jackfit; 12-20-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Have you looked at your convertibe top frame lately?