C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question on Correct Paint color (colour-Canadian)

Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 PM
peaks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on Correct Paint color (colour-Canadian)

I am getting ready to start a restoration on my car and had a spray-out sample done of the Marlborough Maroon paint. When I compare it to my car that has 1975 paint on it, it is very close but it looks lighter or a little less maroon. Hard to explain a colour, but the fact is it doesn't quite match. How do I know which one is the correct paint colour? Is the one on the car correct or is the new spray-out correct? I have noticed that the shades of Marlboro Maroon do not look all the same. Can anyone shed some light on my dilemma? I was thinking of trying to contact people in my area that have Marlboro Maroon cars and take the spray out to compare it with their cars. Would this be a useful exercise or is there a "correct" sample you could get from somewhere.
Thanks
Mike
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the thread....I have a '70 Marlboro Maroon roadster. Could you post the mix formula you use after your research
Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by peaks
I am getting ready to start a restoration on my car and had a spray-out sample done of the Marlborough Maroon paint. When I compare it to my car that has 1975 paint on it, it is very close but it looks lighter or a little less maroon. Hard to explain a colour, but the fact is it doesn't quite match. How do I know which one is the correct paint colour? Is the one on the car correct or is the new spray-out correct? I have noticed that the shades of Marlboro Maroon do not look all the same. Can anyone shed some light on my dilemma? I was thinking of trying to contact people in my area that have Marlboro Maroon cars and take the spray out to compare it with their cars. Would this be a useful exercise or is there a "correct" sample you could get from somewhere.
Thanks
Mike
Corvettes were Milano Maroon. I do not think it is as Maroonish as the Marlboro
Milano Maroon was
DUPONT #4689-LM
Rinshed Mason #A-1746M
Ditzler DDL-3365

Interior Maroon was Dupont 9186LM

Last edited by TC233; 12-05-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233
Corvettes were Milano Maroon. I do not think it is as Maroonish as the Marlboro
Milan Maroon was
DUPONT #4689-LM
Rinshed Mason #A-1746M
Ditzler DDL-3365
'67&'70 Corvettes were Marlboro Maroon.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
peaks
Instructor

Originally Posted by UberLegend
Thanks for the thread....I have a '70 Marlboro Maroon roadster. Could you post the mix formula you use after your research
I will certainly let you know what I find out.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Is there any area on your car that you know to have the original factory paint? Matching is very difficult, I know people who have had 15 samples sprayed to get the match that they wanted.
I was at an NCRS event last summer, there were about seven or eight marina blue '67's, no two were the same...
Go on the NCRS forum, or post here to see if there is anyone in your area with an original paint car, long shot, and the paint will have aged, but it's a start.

Paul
Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My California fawn beige was no where near the right color when I got it, way too gold. When my painter shot it he used the correct code, and it came out perfect. No one knows what went on in the past with old cars.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:09 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dupont still mixes the original colors, to their original color code #.
Match to my car was perfect (Nassau blue), compared to overspray from the factory paint at the A pillar. I don't know why you'd try to custom mix something. They have better equipment and product knowledge than any local paint shop.

Harry
Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 PM
peaks
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66since71
Dupont still mixes the original colors, to their original color code #.
Match to my car was perfect (Nassau blue), compared to overspray from the factory paint at the A pillar. I don't know why you'd try to custom mix something. They have better equipment and product knowledge than any local paint shop.

Harry
Thanks Harry, The sample I have was ordered from Transtar Auto Technologites in Michigan and they apparently used the Marlboro Maroon paint code. My local shop can actually match the paint on my car exact, but i dont know if that is the correct colour or if the new one is.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Correct Paint color (colour-Canadian)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on Correct Paint color (colour-Canadian)