C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone have Pics of 63 swc with a/c?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 04:12 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

Default Anyone have Pics of 63 swc with a/c?

Trying to validate if my 63 has factory a/c or not. It was presented as factory a/c back in 82 when we got it. I sure looks like a factory install, but there are doubts due to timing. It is an Oct 62 car which seems to predate when a/c was supposed to be available.

I thought maybe a few pics from a known install might help.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmies63
Trying to validate if my 63 has factory a/c or not. It was presented as factory a/c back in 82 when we got it. I sure looks like a factory install, but there are doubts due to timing. It is an Oct 62 car which seems to predate when a/c was supposed to be available.

If the VIN is below 12,000 (April build) it's not a factory installation. There are lots of illustrations and photos in your Assembly Manual and in Noland's Vol. II book. The compressor mounting brackets are one-year-only stamped parts (vs. castings on '64-up) and are extremely rare and expensive.

Last edited by JohnZ; 11-27-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:26 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,338 Posts

October 62, is way to early for a 63 with a factory installed AC.

Below is a picture of a 63 factory air car. This car belongs to a customer of mine, who I will be visiting either this coming Thursday, or the following Tuesday. I can take my camera and get some better under hood pics, when I go.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmies63

If I remember correctly, the Engineering Drawings for air conditioning were not released for material procurement and production until December 1962 or January 1963. After this, a few months were still needed to get things ready for commercial installation on the assembly line. That is why the first AC was not available until March or April 1963.

Anything earlier was a prototype car or a test car. And these were few.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 11-27-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

What does your driver's side inner fenderwell look like? I would think anyone who changed all the other stuff probably didn't go to the trouble to change out the inner panel, and on a 63 the inner panels are bonded in, so if it doesn't have the recess for the battery that would be a dead giveaway.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 PM
OG VETTE
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early AC

I have a split window which is a Mid October 1962 and it looks like a factory install AC, battery is in driver side fender well with cover, fan has extra blade, hood pull handle is mounted a bit over than usual and of course the compressor is where the alternator is usually mounted alternator on driver side There is a faded AC sticker on the back passenger side back glass, if some one other than the factory installed it they sure went thru a lot of trouble I would like to get more info on the AC cars and how many are there before the AC production started and would like some pictures to compare.
Thanks
Old 11-28-2011, 12:03 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
What does your driver's side inner fenderwell look like? I would think anyone who changed all the other stuff probably didn't go to the trouble to change out the inner panel, and on a 63 the inner panels are bonded in, so if it doesn't have the recess for the battery that would be a dead giveaway.
The fender wells (inner-fenders) were the same AC or not. They just cut out the hole, installed the filler panel and mounted the tray. Easy conversion.

And, you cant install the factory air cond. box with the battery on the RH side, so it had to be converted.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by wombvette
The fender wells (inner-fenders) were the same AC or not. They just cut out the hole, installed the filler panel and mounted the tray. Easy conversion.

And, you cant install the factory air cond. box with the battery on the RH side, so it had to be converted.
Oh- didn't know it was that easy.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default You just described my car.

Originally Posted by OG VETTE
I have a split window which is a Mid October 1962 and it looks like a factory install AC, battery is in driver side fender well with cover, fan has extra blade, hood pull handle is mounted a bit over than usual and of course the compressor is where the alternator is usually mounted alternator on driver side There is a faded AC sticker on the back passenger side back glass, if some one other than the factory installed it they sure went thru a lot of trouble I would like to get more info on the AC cars and how many are there before the AC production started and would like some pictures to compare.
Thanks
That is what my car looks like. Almost to a T. It came from TN in 82. Where did your car come from? I posted some pics in another post I started under my name. My compressor was removed but everything else left in place. Someone on another thread said one of the parts was clearly a 67 vintage part. I am going to see if I can get some numbers on some internal parts. I got some numbers on the duct work.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default More photos would be much appreciated.

Originally Posted by gbvette62
October 62, is way to early for a 63 with a factory installed AC.

Below is a picture of a 63 factory air car. This car belongs to a customer of mine, who I will be visiting either this coming Thursday, or the following Tuesday. I can take my camera and get some better under hood pics, when I go.

Especially one towrd the evaporator on the firewall.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM
c2performance
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Could some one post pics of a stamped bracket vs a casted bracket would really like to see the diff between the two. I also have a complete oem a/c set up from the dash to the condensor and every part in between if any int. call Tom at 1-248-596-9546

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have Pics of 63 swc with a/c?

Quick Reply: Anyone have Pics of 63 swc with a/c?