C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stinger hood as an option

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 AM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Car is sold, and I didn't even get a chance to go see it. Bummer, it was a very good price too. Isn't that the way. Kinda like fishing, huh :-(

Last edited by vdavenp802; 11-29-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Car is dold, and I didn't even get a chance to go see it. Bummer, it was a very good price too. Isn't that the way. Kinda like fishing, huh :-(
Don't cry, there is always another opportunity!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:04 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by VettePro67
Absolutely true! My friends father worked on the assembly line and confirmed that BB hoods were installed for about a week on small block cars due to the shortage of SB hoods. The people on this board they say it never happened are just plain ignorant!

Had not seen a post by this in a while, thought the mods had finally contacted his parents, and they no longer allowed Frank to play on the computer in his room!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
71vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it an option in 1968 on a small block? I sold one to another forum member with the original tank sticker showing the big block hood being ordered as an option. Again this was a 1968.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 PM
C2Bill
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carcrazyandbroke
Sorry, I should have included in that statement that I had read this tidbit of information and given the source. Page number 382 of

The Complete Corvette Restoration & Technical Guide - Vol.2 by Noland Adams printed in 1988 with footnotes and examples by serial number.

I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. But, I do know that many things were possible and not necessarily documented by the "Big Three"

Besides, you girls "don't get you're panties in a wad" over this.
Carcrazy,.....If possible, could you take a digital picture of Page 382 (as stated above) where it mentions the installations of stinger hoods at factory onto sb cars? I may have such a car and the topic keeps coming up at cruise nights and car shows with no proof either way. Any other substantiating evidence you may have would be very appreciative.
C2Bill
Old 08-15-2013, 03:48 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default BB hoods on SB cars

By golly Carcrazy, you are right, although the information you found is on page 384 not 382.
And I Quote from the Guide:
"Enter disaster. The company supplying small block hoods used a screwdriver like tool to remove the panels from the mold. As fate would have it the tool dropped into the mold one day as it was being closed, destroying the costly mold. Without hoods, Corvettes could not be produced! A quick check of inventory revealed that were enough big block hoods to continue production, so the decision was made to install big block hoods on all Corvettes until the new stock of regular hoods arrived. Thus, big-block hoods were installed on small-block cars in late February or early March 1967, for a period of three to five days(note 23).
These 1967 Corvettes with ""wrong"" factory installed hoods have several identifying factors. ...." End of quote. Goes on to discuss differences.
Note 23 describes sn#12345
I did not believe the bb hood story either, and have read my copy of the Restoration guide countless times and did not see this note, but there it is.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Still wasn't an ordered item though.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:24 PM
C2Bill
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
By golly Carcrazy, you are right, although the information you found is on page 384 not 382.
And I Quote from the Guide:
"Enter disaster. The company supplying small block hoods used a screwdriver like tool to remove the panels from the mold. As fate would have it the tool dropped into the mold one day as it was being closed, destroying the costly mold. Without hoods, Corvettes could not be produced! A quick check of inventory revealed that were enough big block hoods to continue production, so the decision was made to install big block hoods on all Corvettes until the new stock of regular hoods arrived. Thus, big-block hoods were installed on small-block cars in late February or early March 1967, for a period of three to five days(note 23).
These 1967 Corvettes with ""wrong"" factory installed hoods have several identifying factors. ...." End of quote. Goes on to discuss differences.
Note 23 describes sn#12345
I did not believe the bb hood story either, and have read my copy of the Restoration guide countless times and did not see this note, but there it is.
Thanks a bundle "oldgold49er", I appreciate your info and your time. One thing, did you mean that 1966 cars had wrong hoods?

P.S. You also said in your reply that they give some indentifying traits, could you expand in detail on that? My '66 was built in Feb. '66 and has the stinger hood, car is a 327/350 sb and would like to know for sure if the hood is original.

C2Bill
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Absolutely true! My friends father worked on the assembly line and confirmed that BB hoods were installed for about a week on small block cars due to the shortage of SB hoods. The people on this board they say it never happened are just plain ignorant!
We can argue about this all we want and maybe your father is right, but the bottom line there is no supporting documentation from GM that it ever happened. And if you're going to have your car judged in the NCRS or at Bloomington it will have a major deduction.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

It was '67's that got the hoods some crazy people believe, not '66's, if it has a stinger hood, I would bet it was added.
Originally Posted by C2Bill
Thanks a bundle "oldgold49er", I appreciate your info and your time. One thing, did you mean that 1966 cars had wrong hoods?

P.S. You also said in your reply that they give some indentifying traits, could you expand in detail on that? My '66 was built in Feb. '66 and has the stinger hood, car is a 327/350 sb and would like to know for sure if the hood is original.

C2Bill
Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

Bill,
I believe that left years ago.

Originally Posted by Bill Lacy
We can argue about this all we want and maybe your father is right, but the bottom line there is no supporting documentation from GM that it ever happened. And if you're going to have your car judged in the NCRS or at Bloomington it will have a major deduction.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:53 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hoods

Perhaps this is another old "wives tale", but I kind of doubt that Noland made up this story. Do you? He had nothing to gain, and it seems he has lost it all anyway. Aside from a few on this forum, me included, he has forgotten more than we will ever know.
As far as how to tell. BB hoods had the hood support on one side, small blocks (except C60) had supports on the other, so the riveted inserts were on the wrong side on BB hoods. To compensate for this a plate was added to the BB hoods installed on SB cars. Perhaps the owner of sn# 12345 could chime in here and tell us about his hood.
Seems like if this was all BS, considerable effort went into fooling Noland and others, and to what end??
We do have some documentation in the form of Noland's efforts, We do not have ANY information to prove that it did not happen.
Does not matter that much to me, I have a 66 L72 and it does have a BB hood, it is not a stinger..
Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 AM
bellyjello
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my $.02. I know, I read in printed form that this happened in '66 with small and big block hoods.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:52 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
Perhaps this is another old "wives tale", but I kind of doubt that Noland made up this story. Do you? He had nothing to gain, and it seems he has lost it all anyway. Aside from a few on this forum, me included, he has forgotten more than we will ever know.
As far as how to tell. BB hoods had the hood support on one side, small blocks (except C60) had supports on the other, so the riveted inserts were on the wrong side on BB hoods. To compensate for this a plate was added to the BB hoods installed on SB cars. Perhaps the owner of sn# 12345 could chime in here and tell us about his hood.
Seems like if this was all BS, considerable effort went into fooling Noland and others, and to what end??
We do have some documentation in the form of Noland's efforts, We do not have ANY information to prove that it did not happen.
Does not matter that much to me, I have a 66 L72 and it does have a BB hood, it is not a stinger..
1. You seriously need to spend the time in the archives here to understand just how bogus the original claim was as made by the previous owner of 67 #12345.
2. That owner was an acquaintance of Nolan's who made the assertion without ANY documentation to prove it. It has been stated many times on this forum by people who know Nolan that he regrets ever making that statement in his book.
3. There are actually people who post here who know more about how things operated at the St. Louis plant than Nolan. JohnZ (as he posts here) was one of the production engineers at St. Louis in 1967 and has written about this frequently (stating that it never happened).
4. There are many reasons why people try to "prove" their cars are more special than they otherwise might be. How about either money or notoriety for starters?
5. Unless one is logically challenged, one doesn't "prove" something that "didn't" happen. The burden of proof is on those who make assertions - and the person who made the original assertion now essentially refuses to talk about it.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:28 PM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Please back up your statement with some sort of documentation -so u dont sound ignorant( Hearsay would not fly with Judge Judy)
Old 09-07-2013, 03:50 PM
C2Bill
Heel & Toe

Hello,
I am C2Bill. I have a 1966 corvette sb with a 1967 BB hood installed. Car was built in Feb. 1966 (same month as reported hood swap at factory). I believe 2 things are possible.

1. The hood was installed at factory in Feb., 1966.

2. The incident of "factory hood-swapping" (putting 1967 BB hoods on 1966 sb cars) is more probable than putting 1967 BB hoods on 1967 sb cars.
Think about it,.........if they took about 300-500 1967 bb hoods off the shelf and put them on 1967 sb cars, they would be severely robbing Peter to pay Paul. They would be very short on BB hoods later on.
1966 production ended in July 1966 and production started on 1967 cars in Sept. 1966. They must have already been stocking the shelves with 1967 BB hoods, around Feb. 1966. If the incident happened in Feb. 1966 instead of 1967, the smart thing to do would be to use the next year's '67 hoods, that way they would not be short on '66 hoods. They would give themselves a much bigger lead time to replace them.
They also would need a considerable lead time to engineer a fix for the 1966 sb driver's side inner fender. Fender was curved, had no pre-formed step in it to mount BB hood prop-up brkt to it because sb cars have hood prop-ups mounted on passenger side. Makes sense, doesn't it?
My hood prop-up brkt (aluminum) on driver's side sits on a specially made plastic formed brkt attached to inner fender. Cannot locate the plastic formed brkt anywhere in any Corvette parts catalogue and it does not look like a one-off ad-hoc part. It looks like it could be made at a factory.
Also, my hood has an internal backing plate on left side only to bolt the prop-up to, and none on right side (for sb cars). That means it is not an aftermarket hood which logically would have backing plates (internally) on both sides to support use on sb and BB corvettes.
If you are able to view the attached picture, it is upside down (sorry). Copy it to your computer and edit it (rotate 180) to put it into proper angle.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...ent-152234.jpg

Please ask your friend's father to read this and try to recollect what year it actually took place. If he signed a statement confirming what he witnessed, (and you posted it here) that would help clear up this ongoing issue.

Last edited by C2Bill; 09-07-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 09-07-2013, 04:47 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Hello,
I am C2Bill. I have a 1966 corvette sb with a 1967 BB hood installed. Car was built in Feb. 1966 (same month as reported hood swap at factory). I believe 2 things are possible.

2. The incident of "factory hood-swapping" (putting 1967 BB hoods on 1966 sb cars) is more probable than putting 1967 BB hoods on 1967 sb cars.

Please ask your friend's father to read this and try to recollect what year it actually took place. If he signed a statement confirming what he witnessed, (and you posted it here) that would help clear up this ongoing issue.
You are 1) Massively misinformed, and 2) Massively confused.

February, 1966, was NOT the time of the alleged factory hood swap (which never happened); the 1967 big-block stinger hood didn't even EXIST in February of 1966.

This is an old wives' tale that has been proven bogus more times than most of us want to remember; I was there (and I'm the ONLY person still breathing that was there), and it didn't happen. Period.

Get notified of new replies

To Stinger hood as an option

Old 09-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

wishful thinking is strong in this thread. you guys can convince your self all you want about 67 BB hoods. but it never happened. I don't know the production figures on how long it took to make hoods but I am sure since they did it at ST. Louis it was fairly short.

and there is know way GM would ever use next year parts in Feb. I might believe if you said your car was built the last week in production in July but not Feb. look closer at your front clip. I am sure your car was wreaked and bubba liked the 67 hood better
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Hello,

Think about it,.........if they took about 300-500 1967 bb hoods off the shelf and put them on 1967 sb cars, they would be severely robbing Peter to pay Paul. They would be very short on BB hoods later on.
1966 production ended in July 1966 and production started on 1967 cars in Sept. 1966. They must have already been stocking the shelves with 1967 BB hoods, around Feb. 1966. If the incident happened in Feb. 1966 instead of 1967, the smart thing to do would be to use the next year's '67 hoods, that way they would not be short on '66 hoods. They would give themselves a much bigger lead time to replace them.
They also would need a considerable lead time to engineer a fix for the 1966 sb driver's side inner fender. Fender was curved, had no pre-formed step in it to mount BB hood prop-up brkt to it because sb cars have hood prop-ups mounted on passenger side. Makes sense, doesn't it?
My hood prop-up brkt (aluminum) on driver's side sits on a specially made plastic formed brkt attached to inner fender. Cannot locate the plastic formed brkt anywhere in any Corvette parts catalogue and it does not look like a one-off ad-hoc part. It looks like it could be made at a factory.
Also, my hood has an internal backing plate on left side only to bolt the prop-up to, and none on right side (for sb cars). That means it is not an aftermarket hood which logically would have backing plates (internally) on both sides to support use on sb and BB corvettes.
If you are able to view the attached picture, it is upside down (sorry). Copy it to your computer and edit it (rotate 180) to put it into proper angle.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...ent-152234.jpg

Your statment ("They also would need a considerable lead time to engineer a fix for the 1966 sb driver's side inner fender. Fender was curved, had no pre-formed step in it to mount BB hood prop-up brkt to it because sb cars have hood prop-ups mounted on passenger side. Makes sense, doesn't it?") really makes no sense at all. GM already had the inner fenders with the support step for both left(big blocks & small block A/C cars) and right (smalblock non-A/C cars) so how much lead time is needed to engineer and produce something they already had!

Your story full of senerios without any substatiation. Maybe it's what you were told by the previous owner.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:09 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
wishful thinking is strong in this thread. you guys can convince your self all you want about 67 BB hoods. but it never happened. I don't know the production figures on how long it took to make hoods but I am sure since they did it at ST. Louis it was fairly short.
Weren't Corvette body panels, including hoods, still coming from outside vendor Molded Fiberglass in Ashtabula, Ohio?

Quick Reply: Stinger hood as an option