C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Problem with shippers! advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 PM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-8-9 Veteran
Default Problem with shippers! advice needed

For those of you that have been following my "NEW TOY" thread you have already read about my misfortune with shippers. I paid for enclosed on top shipping and received open carrier on the bottom. The window was out of track and the door wouldnt open correctly.

This car had never seen rain, the undercarriage was show room new and perfect. Now, The engine compartment was filthy nasty, wheel wells had mud in them and so did the interior!
The car was "trashed"!

I need advice, what should I do from here? I feel VERY abused and angry
Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,472 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

You could take the $300 and detail it yourself. You could get an estimate from a Pro detailing company and tell DAS you want that if it's more than $300. I guess it's not too bad that they offered the $$. Did they even explain the screwup? Dennis
Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 PM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
You could take the $300 and detail it yourself. You could get an estimate from a Pro detailing company and tell DAS you want that if it's more than $300. I guess it's not too bad that they offered the $$. Did they even explain the screwup? Dennis
The big difference is that I PAID for ENCLOSED shipping because I wanted and expected ENCLOSED shipping. They did not fulfill the contract that we agreed on. I think this is worth more than $300.00. They charged me $1,925

Last edited by 2th farmer; 11-18-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd ask for the difference between the open and closed trailer charges and also the money for the car to be detailed. That is the least they can do based on what they told you and what you paid for. Sorry this has to be the beginning of your experience with that beauty........

Don
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 857 Likes on 628 Posts

Boy would that **** me off too. I totally agree with you that 300 is not even close to what you should be getting. What did they say happened? I would really be making a stink with them. Good luck and nice car.

Bill

Last edited by 69ttop502; 11-19-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Take a lot of pics of your car as it was delivered to you. Get an estimate to get it detailed. Ask them to pay for the cleaning and then some or you may have to sue them in small claims court youself or call a lawyer.

Last edited by dahogan; 11-19-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:27 AM
grf2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They entered into a contract with you. As I see it, they are responsible for putting the car back to the way it was (sounds like more than just detailing), and the difference in price.

You should make them aware that this is what you want, and get an estimate for the cost from a reputable shop or appraiser.

Once you have a figure, there are three main options I think - hope they will give you the money to fix it, go to arbitration, or take them to (small claims) court. Small claims court is usually less expensive, but since this is interstate, it may not be that easy. Suing might cost more than the award money, so your practical options may be limited.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

...but by the same token, if you paid for enclosed and got open transport, what are the chances that they will step up to the plate and restore your car to pre-transport condition?

They need to refund the difference between open and enclosed transport and a spit and polish detail.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:06 AM
jerrymcb
Safety Car

I am sorry to hear about your problems. Unfortunately many forum members have
had problems with DAS including physical damage to their cars. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:14 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Hindsight is 20-20, but that's why it pays to hire a carrier with an established positive reputation (Intercity, Reliable, FedEx, Thomas Sunday, etc.); DAS doesn't fit in that group - now you know why.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,472 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Now that we all know what you paid, coupled with the poor service you got, yes $300 is not enough. You might consider small claims court provided the amount fits into the requirements of the state in which you file the claim. Hope it works out for you. Dennis
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

i hate to say this. but i would get an attorney. don't drive the vette at all. as stated above
document the whole vehicle with photos, video and have the seller document how it left his place. some times a attorney's letter is enough to settle. best of luck and kick ***. jim

ps. remember, your loss of driving time, mental torture, and attorney fees. and so on. i do not believe in suing. never have, but this situation is bad. if a letter from a attorney
does not get your money or satisfaction, then you might have too.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:26 PM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Thanks very much guys for the advice. The seller is as pissed as I am, he sold me a clean, slick car. We have pictures of when it left his garage.
Gonna "push" the issue, don't like to feel taken advantage of.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the first step would be taking detailed photos of the car as you received it. I would then send those photos to the originator of the shipment and have them prepare documentation of the relative condition of the car when it was shipped and how it was when you received it. The cost to return it to the original condition would be the damages. Then I would get a refund of the difference in the price of enclosed shipment and open shipment. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Hindsight is 20-20, but that's why it pays to hire a carrier with an established positive reputation (Intercity, Reliable, FedEx, Thomas Sunday, etc.); DAS doesn't fit in that group - now you know why.
Exactly, I had a bad time with them with a classic car years ago as well. They left my car outside for 5 weeks uncovered in 3 major storms! When it finally arrived, it was a mess, and they offered nothing as compensation. The reality is you will probably have to sue them to get compensated for your loss. Sorry, but that's the way they are.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:43 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
The reality is you will probably have to sue them to get compensated for your loss. Sorry, but that's the way they are.
I've always said "whether you're right or wrong, if you have to hire an attorney, you've already lost". To pay some azz $500 an hour to prove you're right is a losing proposition. Lick your wounds and move on.

Jim
Old 11-19-2011, 10:10 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

I would call my credit card company.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with shippers! advice needed

Old 11-19-2011, 10:28 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by 2th farmer
For those of you that have been following my "NEW TOY" thread you have already read about my misfortune with shippers. I paid for enclosed on top shipping and received open carrier on the bottom. The window was out of track and the door wouldnt open correctly.

This car had never seen rain, the undercarriage was show room new and perfect. Now, The engine compartment was filthy nasty, wheel wells had mud in them and so did the interior!
The car was "trashed"!

I need advice, what should I do from here? I feel VERY abused and angry
Sorry to hear 2th farmer. This will be hard to accept, but you will be just pissing good money after bad. You can jump up and down and do a tap dance till you blow a gasket, but I will tell you, you will likely go nowhere. There are so many scammers in this auto market its ridiculous.
I also got into an agreement with a company that claimed to be 5 star, I listened to these guys talk the talk for a week, as time went on I got very very uncomfortable and walked away from the agreement and lost $450 Deposit.
I went with Intercity and it arrived perfectly, top row of the truck, they even covered the car in in the covered trailer.

Write the Better Business Bureau and take the money you would try to go after them for and get the car detailed, send them the bill and hope they will pay. My reading from the internet... they don't and won't pay, and will blame it on the driver. Good luck trying to get money out of him. If you decide to go after the company then be prepared to be farked around for months. If you can take the continual irritation, then go for it. I am too old for it. These guys are like shingle guarantees. If your roof leaks go ahead and file a claim. The three largest shingle companies take about 5 years to process the claim. If you win, they drop 20-30 bundles of shingles on your front lawn and leave, because it does not cover installation. meanwhile you have already had to pay for a new roof !! Biggest con out there, Auto shipping companies have to be a close second.

The lesson is. stick with reputable companies. My car took 2 weeks to get here but it was snug as a bug in a rug.
GOOD JOB INTERCITY! thanks to Joe Nail (office) and Rob the Driver!

Last edited by TC233; 11-19-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Wouldn't you love to get that DAS guy in your dental chair!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Dannoman
Racer

I'm with Tom.....dispute the charges with your credit card company. Just curious why you would choose DAS in the first place when there are so many other shippers that get raving reviews from forum members? Sorry you have to go through this BS......hope it works out for you.

Enjoy your new toy!

Danno

Quick Reply: Problem with shippers! advice needed