C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Al Knoch..Is it me or what? gotta vent

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Al Knoch..Is it me or what? gotta vent

So I'm at Fall Carlisle and trying to match a red carpet for my 59 that I bought from AK about 1977. They can't match it, so I decide to buy the full (cheaper) set. They don't have a red set there, so I order and wait two weeks for delivery. Rugs show up in 10 days and I'm slightly disappointed with them. First there is a fuzzy nap/snags on the two larger pieces, kind of like when a sweater wears and pills. Not much but annoying. I can live with it, I trim the nap/snags off with a scissors. Then I look closely at the passenger side and there are about 12 small black dots on some of the "pills/weave" of the rug. It looks like possibly grease or the tops of the pills are burnt. So I call AK.

A nice woman answers and is surprised about the defect (wants the old rug back so she can see what I'm complaining about) but will send out a replacement passenger side. I called on a Thursday, rug will be out the next day. Wait a week. Call, rug not out yet, will go out by Friday the 21st and they will email me tracking number. Nothing.

So I call today. New woman, needs my invoice number. I read the number off of the sheet. She says that's not their number (?), so I give her my name and address. Looks it up. She says there's nothing she can do to expedite this (we're going on a month here), that the rug needs to be specially made since it's a "part" of a set. And it's scheduled to go out tomorrow (the 26th, heard that before). But She will call me with a tracking number. She will call me back today, by 4:00 Texas time. No call.

Since this is the first I've bought something directly from AK since 1977, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this kind of "service".
Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like time to talk to the chief ! Stewy
Old 10-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I had good experiences with them earlier this year - bought new seat covers, foam, seat springs, video etc. Three separate orders, all shipped promptly without issues. There may be something to it being part of a set not normally sold separately, but I think they should have told you about any delays???
Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Their "customer service" disappeared years ago. That's why I quit buying their stuff. Many have experienced what you are complaining about. Corvette America products (sold by almost every supplier) are better quality and the customer service is second to none.

Jim
Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Call and ask for 'Dale Robertson' and see if that can help..otherwise go directly for 'Al

Wally Knoch
Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Dale? Really? That's where my awful customer service usually originated until I quit using them
Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 54greg
Dale? Really? That's where my awful customer service usually originated until I quit using them
Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Well, finally got a call and a tracking number. Will see what I get when it gets here.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Steve59
Well, finally got a call and a tracking number. Will see what I get when it gets here.
Nothing like a tracking number to make you feel warm and fuzzy after being lied to several times.

Jim
Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
Sounds like time to talk to the chief ! Stewy
Go to the top!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I guess I'm one of the the lucky ones..

I had a problem with some Fawn Beige seats...the distance from the seat back to the bottom cushion was out of kelter. Considerably out of kelter...and on top of that when the better half saw the green cast of the fawn beige seats, she didn't care for it at all.

I called AK...they agreed to sent me new seats asap...and I shipped the first set back with on the delivery truck that bought the new ones.

They paid the freight both ways...fixed the problem AND didn't blink an eye when I asked if we could change the color to black.

The problem was fixed and AK even allowed us change colors..at no extra charge!

Since they agreed to fix the seats..I ordered the door panels and armrest ...which they made right away and sent with the corrected replacements seats.

I couldn't have asked for more..and really expected to have to buy new black seats and sell the "fixed" green/beige ones ....or at least pay for a color change.

Stan...
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

I have also had good experiences with their customes service. Had a damaged section of carpet in the 64 set and they sent me a new piece free of charge within a week. Realize that they cut and make those pieces right there in TX to order, and when they get a request for something not in stock (such as one piece of a set), it is put into cue, and the item is custom made. Still the best quality stuff IMO. Pilot Dan
Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,011 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Call and ask for 'Dale Robertson' and see if that can help.
I think he's retired and living in Oklahoma. A great actor, though - I was always partial to "The Iron Horse".
Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Al did me right. No complaints.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:27 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had hit or miss CS with them. Sometimes they go above and beyond and sometimes it seems like they don't give a flying ****. Very odd CS. I've dealt with Dale with great success and equal consternation at times.

They have it, we want it, and that's rarely good for us.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Their "customer service" disappeared years ago. That's why I quit buying their stuff. Many have experienced what you are complaining about. Corvette America products (sold by almost every supplier) are better quality and the customer service is second to none.

Jim
Absolutely, postively not true.

I bought leather seats for a restoration I was doing that werent installed for a couple years. The leather color was not right in my opinion. Rather than argue or make excuses, Al replaced my seats no questions asked 2 years later and the seats were considerably more expensive at the time of replacement than what I paid.

I cannot compare Corvette America's service but their products arent close to the quality of Al Knoch's, not close. Pick up a pair of leather seats of each and compare the weight. "Everyone" sells Corvette America products because they are cheap.

People may have a problem with different vendors at different times, but Al Knoch treated me superbly and I wouldnt buy anywhere else.

PS- Id also point out that I had horrendous problems with Customer Service with a Supporting Vendor on this forum site that everyone seems to think is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wouldnt buy a pencil from these people again. So, it is true that different times people just have different experiences.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:03 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

NOT what they used to be in quality and service, my advice is run fast and far, I have door panels bought many years ago that don't fit well at all but am stuck with them and was back then, they would not do anything about it so I will go with someone else when the need arises. good luck and that is my 2cents worth.

Get notified of new replies

To Al Knoch..Is it me or what? gotta vent

Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Absolutely, postively not true.

I bought leather seats for a restoration I was doing that werent installed for a couple years. The leather color was not right in my opinion. Rather than argue or make excuses, Al replaced my seats no questions asked 2 years later and the seats were considerably more expensive at the time of replacement than what I paid.

I cannot compare Corvette America's service but their products arent close to the quality of Al Knoch's, not close. Pick up a pair of leather seats of each and compare the weight. "Everyone" sells Corvette America products because they are cheap.

People may have a problem with different vendors at different times, but Al Knoch treated me superbly and I wouldnt buy anywhere else.

PS- Id also point out that I had horrendous problems with Customer Service with a Supporting Vendor on this forum site that everyone seems to think is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wouldnt buy a pencil from these people again. So, it is true that different times people just have different experiences.
They did a complete interior and working on a 2nd for us this year (Camaro restoration) and service was exactly what one would expect. And as Wally first suggested Dale was my go to guy and has been very helpful.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Steve59
Drifting

I don't want to beat this to death, but here's my point. When I call, I want someone who knows what they are talking about not guessing. It's a lot better to say "it will be out in two weeks" and you get the part in 10 days, than to say "it will be out in 10 days" and you get it in two weeks.

One other curious item. While at Carlisle, the salesman showed me the two different weaves, the "Daytona" version, which I believe is the "correct", more expensive rug. and the one I bought. While on the phone, the CS rep asked me if it was the "Daytona" style, which they have been out of for two years.? I'm not making this up.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I have had nothing but a good experience with AK
Ask for Melinda or Melissa

Quick Reply: Al Knoch..Is it me or what? gotta vent