C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Al Knoch..Is it me or what? gotta vent

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

When I called them a year or so back and wanted ONE sheet medal panel for the driver door of the '61 I was told they only sell them in pairs. Walked up to their booth at NCRS Kissimmee and asked the same thing and the guy said, "No problem -- do you want us to drill the hole for the window crank ?" It was shipped to me a week later.

Other than that inconsistency I've had good luck with them.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 AM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

There are good and bad experiences with all vendors .... and im sure we all have had it go both ways more then once but thank goodness that we still have them out there to give us so many choices ... my .02
Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

After reading this thread and all your bad experiences maybe he should change the spelling of his name to Al Knock?

knock (nk)

Slang To find fault with; criticize: Don't knock the food; it's free.

Last edited by BrentF; 10-26-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve59
. First there is a fuzzy nap/snags on the two larger pieces, kind of like when a sweater wears and pills. Not much but annoying. I can live with it, I trim the nap/snags off with a scissors.
I had the same annoying defect with my Al Knoch carpet set that I received through Corvette Central. I wasn't too impressed. I must have had about 10 or 12 of these loops that weren't anchored to the carpet's substrate. Rather than clipping them off with scissors, I got out a needle and thread and sewed them back into the carpet substrate. The repair was invisible, and yet should never have been required in the first place.

CORRECTION: The carpets that I am complaining about in the above (that I purchased from Corvette Central) were actually manufactured by ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) and NOT Al Knoch. Al Knoch made the seat backs that I ordered from Corvette Central and I was very happy with them. As such, I have no reason to knock Al Knoch.

Last edited by BrentF; 10-26-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

My car is AK inside and out. They were great to work with, shipments were lightening fast, and custom work was done right the first time.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:02 PM
stall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience exactly

Originally Posted by 1snake
Their "customer service" disappeared years ago. That's why I quit buying their stuff. Many have experienced what you are complaining about. Corvette America products (sold by almost every supplier) are better quality and the customer service is second to none.

Jim
Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentF
I had the same annoying defect with my Al Knoch carpet set that I received through Corvette Central. I wasn't too impressed. I must have had about 10 or 12 of these loops that weren't anchored to the carpet's substrate. Rather than clipping them off with scissors, I got out a needle and thread and sewed them back into the carpet substrate. The repair was invisible, and yet should never have been required in the first place.

CORRECTION: The carpets that I am complaining about in the above (that I purchased from Corvette Central) were actually manufactured by ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) and NOT Al Knoch. Al Knoch made the seat backs that I ordered from Corvette Central and I was very happy with them. As such, I have no reason to knock Al Knoch.
this fact situation is not unusual, .....you have courage
Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

I ordered a carpet set and dash pad for my 58 around 1 year ago and had zero problems. The carpet fit perfect and the dash pad went in without a problem.

Just placed another order 2 days ago for a compleat deluxe set of door panels for my 58, can't wait to get them.

Al Knoch is #1 in my books!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Their "customer service" disappeared years ago. That's why I quit buying their stuff. Many have experienced what you are complaining about. Corvette America products (sold by almost every supplier) are better quality and the customer service is second to none.

Jim
But get all my stuff from Willcox now and love the service after the sale... Robert
Old 10-27-2011, 08:02 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Several months ago, I ordered new seat covers and foam for the 56. when it all arrived, the seat covers were fine----------------BUT THE FOAM WAS FOR A 67!!!!
I called and to keep it short, they did send me a set of 56-57 foam and wanted ME to return the 67 foam. I told them it would be on the front porch and the UPS driver could pick it up. He did. Seats are covered now and look great.

I also had them make me some red floor mats with black trim. Perfect!

Tom Parsons
Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

So today I get my replacement passenger side rug. The red rug part is fine, no black marks, no tuffs of thread. The edge binding is a tad sloppy in areas but not bad. Then I get the old one to send back and it feels different than the new one. I ask a friend to look at both and the new rug has thinner foam and what looks like a piece of scrap foam on the back of that tab piece by the seat and sill. There are some cuts in that foam for no apparent reason.

The new rug is lighter and flopper than the old one. Since I'm going to put it over a jute padding, it's not going to be a problem (I don't think), but I wonder why they would use a thinner foam backing?

This is my current and last dealing with AK. Don't much care for their quality control. And don't want to go through the BS again.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve59
This is my current and last dealing with AK. Don't much care for their quality control. And don't want to go through the BS again.
You now have the same attitude I developed towards them 15-20 years ago. It appears nothing has changed since then.

Jim

Last edited by 1snake; 10-31-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Al Knoch..Is it me or what? gotta vent