C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

problems when I turn left?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Jorn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems when I turn left?

Hi Friends
I was on a trip with my 1959 and suddenly after about one hour it began to jump and do like the ignition was failed but it was only everytime i had turn left.Straight ahead on the higway no problems but only when i turn left?
I think i have heard/read something about this problem before but can't find a Thread telling about this problem.

Regards Jorn/Denmark
Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Do you have an original WCFB carburetor on the car ?
If so that could be the source of your problem...especially after things get hot and start expanding. Here is a brief explanation of what I am talking about (see attachment).

In the other attachment you can see the 'fix' (circled in red) installed in one of my carburetors.
Attached Images  
Attached Images

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-25-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Jorn
Advanced

Hi Frankie
No I haven't a WCFB anymore because there were many problems with that (I bought a new rest. for $800 but it was only painted and doesn't work properly) so I have now a Rochester with same type of Choker so maybe I should take a look inside that!
I have a little mistake to my gas Tank, because one of the Baffles are "floading" around and mabe when I turn left and the Tank are only half filled up maybe it will allowed some air to get to the Carb.!!
Thanks for answering, I will open my carb. and look.

Regards Jorn
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
LDB C5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the exact same issue on an old Opel GT that I had when I was a kid. It was a loose condenser in the distributor. Every time I turned hard (>90 d) the car would stall. The condenser was moving and shorting out.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Jorn
Hi Frankie
No I haven't a WCFB anymore because there were many problems with that (I bought a new rest. for $800 but it was only painted and doesn't work properly) so I have now a Rochester with same type of Choker so maybe I should take a look inside that!
I have a little mistake to my gas Tank, because one of the Baffles are "floading" around and mabe when I turn left and the Tank are only half filled up maybe it will allowed some air to get to the Carb.!!
Thanks for answering, I will open my carb. and look.

Regards Jorn
If you have ANYthing "floating" around in your gas tank then I would check your fuel filter and pressure straight off. Wouldn't hurt to spot check the distributor internals either as a prior post suggested.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 AM
CJS
Melting Slicks

Frankie, Your anit-stall tube looks like it has a bottleneck? Anyway what are you using for the tube, maybe brass tube stock as I have seen available from an airplane model shop?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by CJS
Frankie, Your anit-stall tube looks like it has a bottleneck? Anyway what are you using for the tube, maybe brass tube stock as I have seen available from an airplane model shop?
I have heard of Ace Hardware 'roll pins' being used but in truth my pins are from Bob Kunz's private stock. I called him a couple of years back on a problem and he shipped me the pins in short order. So the answer is that I don't know where in the heck they originally came from !
Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorn
Hi Friends
I was on a trip with my 1959 and suddenly after about one hour it began to jump and do like the ignition was failed but it was only everytime i had turn left.Straight ahead on the higway no problems but only when i turn left?
I think i have heard/read something about this problem before but can't find a Thread telling about this problem.

Regards Jorn/Denmark
Any possiblility the "jump" came from the rear of the car?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Jorn
Advanced

Hi all

I will check my tank, filter carb. and distributor and see what i find.
Thanks all.

Jorn

Get notified of new replies

To problems when I turn left?

Quick Reply: problems when I turn left?