C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Resto Mod Finally Back From Painter

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 PM
jafranke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 63 Resto Mod Finally Back From Painter

The painter finally finshed....Now comes the fun part. In the garage is a Tremec 5 Speed, LS2, New Stainless Steel Fuel Tank with internal fuel pump, Upgraded front and rear suspension, power steering and front disc brake kits.

Those of you that have done this before....expect a lot of questions.

Jon

Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's just a teaser pic, where's the rest of it?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They didn't have red?

looks great!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 AM
jafranke
Racer

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
They didn't have red?

looks great!
Yea....I was going for something sublte.... I thought flames might be a bit much. I actually am using Rally Red instead of Riverside Red. I have a 59 that is Roman Red (same as Riverside Red) already. The original color of the 63 was Riverside Red. I just think the brighter red looks better on the C2. A personal preferrence. I was looking for a car to do with my son. I found this one and since none of the original drive train remained, I decided to go for drivability above originality.

I'll get more pictures in the daylight. It was towed in just after sunset so the light wasn't very good.

Jon
Old 11-12-2011, 06:14 PM
jafranke
Racer

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
That's just a teaser pic, where's the rest of it?
Here is a few more pics in the sun. The boy is my 15 year old. This is going to be a Father/ Son job.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jafranke
The painter finally finshed....Now comes the fun part. In the garage is a Tremec 5 Speed, LS2, New Stainless Steel Fuel Tank with internal fuel pump, Upgraded front and rear suspension, power steering and front disc brake kits.

Those of you that have done this before....expect a lot of questions.

Jon
Jon,

While not a C2, my brother in law is installing a LS3 into his C3 which requires nearly all of the same considerations. Here is the link to his build. Good luck and feel free to ask questions

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...o-my-72-a.html

R/
Jeff
Old 11-14-2011, 12:08 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

The body-color engine compartment, while not NCRS, is REALLY COOL. Looks like you and your painter finished it to a shine matching the exterior paint. No wonder it took a long time.

Be careful not to drop any wrenches in there!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
1Sweet66
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
The body-color engine compartment, while not NCRS, is REALLY COOL. Looks like you and your painter finished it to a shine matching the exterior paint. No wonder it took a long time.
That does look pretty cool. Especially in RED.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:31 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Very nice dude, did you do a complete frame off or did you do a frame on restoration?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:40 PM
1959RedConv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon, nice paint job. Is your avatar a picture of your 59 dual quad setup?

Old 11-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're a lucky man to have your son's interest in hot rodding and old cars. And it keeps the hobby alive after all us geezers are gone. Congrats on a great looking build.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:36 PM
jafranke
Racer

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
Jon,

While not a C2, my brother in law is installing a LS3 into his C3 which requires nearly all of the same considerations. Here is the link to his build. Good luck and feel free to ask questions

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...o-my-72-a.html

R/
Jeff
Catching up on the questions so far....

My avatar is my dual quad set up on my 59. I finished that one about 6 years ago. Whiie it isn't full NCRS, I did go back with a basically original car in that case. I love it and drive it as often as the weather allows. It looks mostly original with a few changes. a basic 283 with Dual quads, HEI hidden under an original dual point distributor cap, small leather wrapped steering wheel, hurst shifter hidden under a reproduction shifter handle and American racing chrome Torque Thrust Ds. I did the full body off on the 59....lots of fun.

As for the 63, I am obviously going the other way completely. I am looking for a great looking, great sounding and drivable car. So, no, I am not afraid that an NCRS purist might notice the engine compartment is body color if he could see it around the LS2 engine, Dewitts radiator, after market Air Conditioning compressor and power steering set up. This car is for fun and looks.

When I bought this car, it didn't have an engine and needed a new front clip. I've never done a modern engine, so I will be learning how a computer works in a car.

The car had a body off restoration about 10 years ago and the frame is in good shape. I had the paint on the frame touched up so I don't intend to take the body off this time. The bird cage is in great shape.

I am going to be looking for the best places to mount the computer, relays, car battery, etc. I like the idea of using the storage area behind the driver's seat for the battery. I want to see how others have made the changes. Most of the "choices" have been made with help of some of those that have preceeded me.

The following parts are stacked on the shelves...

original seats with new blace leather covers
re-skinned dash
Modern radio made to look original
New black carpet and complete door panels.
Following items from Vette Brakes and Products: Steet performance suspension package....front and rear upgrades, Front Disc Brake kit, Rack and Pinion Power steering.
New Stainless steel tank from Rick's Tanks
Dewitts LS Style Radiator with single fan.
restored original headlight motors and wiper motor
Complete set of new wiring harnesses.
Tremec TKO 060 5 speed with Hurst shifter and reproduction shifter handle.
Stainless side pipe covers and trim.

Oh yea....complete LS2 engine with chrome accents...Set up for 400 hp/ 400 Ft-lbs torque. High mounted accessories, complete wiring harness.

Gauge cluster was restored just prior to the purchase, but I have the Tach, battery and fuel gauges being modified for the LS engine. Resetting the odometer while I am at it.

I'll update with photos as I go.

Jon
Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jafranke
Catching up on the questions so far....

My avatar is my dual quad set up on my 59. I finished that one about 6 years ago. Whiie it isn't full NCRS, I did go back with a basically original car in that case. I love it and drive it as often as the weather allows. It looks mostly original with a few changes. a basic 283 with Dual quads, HEI hidden under an original dual point distributor cap, small leather wrapped steering wheel, hurst shifter hidden under a reproduction shifter handle and American racing chrome Torque Thrust Ds. I did the full body off on the 59....lots of fun.

As for the 63, I am obviously going the other way completely. I am looking for a great looking, great sounding and drivable car. So, no, I am not afraid that an NCRS purist might notice the engine compartment is body color if he could see it around the LS2 engine, Dewitts radiator, after market Air Conditioning compressor and power steering set up. This car is for fun and looks.

When I bought this car, it didn't have an engine and needed a new front clip. I've never done a modern engine, so I will be learning how a computer works in a car. hopefully your EFI will be more 'friendly' or even pre or self calibrated. when i was setting mine up there were times when i would have needed to be talked down from tall buildings... lol Thank God i didn't have access to the reactor building...

The car had a body off restoration about 10 years ago and the frame is in good shape. I had the paint on the frame touched up so I don't intend to take the body off this time. The bird cage is in great shape.

I am going to be looking for the best places to mount the computer, relays, car battery, etc. i have 3 different 'boxes' (computer/distributor/O2 sensor) and a bunch of relays. mine are all mounted on the forward side of the passenger side firewall and the passenger and driver's side inner fender panels. a lot is going to depend on the size/shape/number of boxes/relays you have. best places would be inside the car (in order to protect it/them) like under the dash, under or behind the seat, or in one of the storage wells I like the idea of using the storage area behind the driver's seat for the battery. I want to see how others have made the changes. Most of the "choices" have been made with help of some of those that have preceeded me. i have my battery in the trunk, but you don't have a trunk so the storage area will be about the only practical place for it unless you want to make it accessible from through the driver's side inner fender panel like the a/c cars

The following parts are stacked on the shelves...

original seats with new blace leather covers
re-skinned dash
Modern radio made to look original
New black carpet and complete door panels.
Following items from Vette Brakes and Products: Steet performance suspension package....front and rear upgrades, Front Disc Brake kit, Rack and Pinion Power steering.
New Stainless steel tank from Rick's Tanks
Dewitts LS Style Radiator with single fan.
restored original headlight motors and wiper motor
Complete set of new wiring harnesses.
Tremec TKO 060 5 speed with Hurst shifter and reproduction shifter handle.
Stainless side pipe covers and trim.

Oh yea....complete LS2 engine with chrome accents...Set up for 400 hp/ 400 Ft-lbs torque. High mounted accessories, complete wiring harness.

Gauge cluster was restored just prior to the purchase, but I have the Tach, battery and fuel gauges being modified for the LS engine. Resetting the odometer while I am at it.

I'll update with photos as I go.

Jon
Bill
Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Jon,

Looking great! If you need any assistance, please call.

John (plasticman)
Old 11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

jon had about the same done to my 63. put the ls3 box off drivers fender. so it can be easily reached. battery stayed put.
i took the vette to a tuner, since it had the hot cam in it. found out that my front drivers
side crossmember's weld was cracked thru. i do not know for sure, but heard from a very wise mechanic, that some 63-64 vettes had weld issues. might check yours carefully. mine did not so up during the build but later. just something to think about.
best of luck jim
Old 11-21-2011, 07:15 PM
tcsracing1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1963-1967 corvettes with low horse power options and missing drivetrains make perfect donors for LS engine installs.

great job.
looks great!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM
tcsracing1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check this out.

the gauges and steering wheel are beautiful.

the seats worked well and the shifter is genius!

http://www.64corvetteroadster.com/

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Resto Mod Finally Back From Painter

Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

Good for you both. Great moments you can share for a long time.

My son and I started this project when he was 17 (4 years ago). Good time to start a car project.

Kevin

Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM
jafranke
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
check this out.

The gauges and steering wheel are beautiful.

the seats worked well and the shifter is genius!

http://www.64corvetteroadster.com/
Wow....now that is a project. Maybe next time. I do like the instrument treatment and the steering. The entire project is impressive. I might have to look up that particular side pipe plan. I have the covers, but I haven't decided on what to put in them yet. As for me, we have started work.

Below is my son under the rear helping remove the suspension system. I am hoping to get the new gas tank, rear composite mono spring, VBS Smart Strut system and new stocks installed by Thanksgiving. I have a plan on what to get installed prior to the engine drop. Right now this is my "before we mess with the engine and transmission install" list:

1. Front and rear suspension upgrades
2. Front disc brake kit
3. Front Light motors
4. AC/ Heater Coil Cover (being painted body color)
5. Power rack and pinion steering kit
6. New gas tank

Jon
Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 PM
jafranke
Racer

Originally Posted by KS69Coupe
Good for you both. Great moments you can share for a long time.

My son and I started this project when he was 17 (4 years ago). Good time to start a car project.

Kevin

That is a classic picture.....I love it.

Jon

Quick Reply: 63 Resto Mod Finally Back From Painter