Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
piperaro

Default Raw gas coming out of tailpipe on 54 vette

Has anyone had problems with gas leaking into the exhaust on a 1954 blue flame 6 cylinder? My car has been completely restored to original and I have been driving it for two years now. The car has been running fine, until now. It has always smoked alittle since the engine had been built. It has about 600 miles on it now. I cranked it a few days ago and it started spittin and sputtering. I noticed that the fuel pump was not working, so I replaced it with a new one. I got it running and noticed raw gas coming out of the tailpipe. Further inspection revealed that gas was leaking into the exhaust just below the sidedraft carbs. I have never seen this happen before and don't know what the problem is. Any information on what could have caused this?
piperaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
1955 copper
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to 1955 copper

One Carb may have a float sticking or a hole in it causing it to sink or the needle seat has dirt keeping it from closing .
1955 copper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Vette Daddy
CF Senior Member

You have a float that is not working properly, as Roy stated. You'll need to change the oil NOW. Do not run the car with raw gas mixing with the oil. Check the plugs for the wet ones. This will tell you which carb is malfunctioning.
Vette Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Vogie
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Daddy View Post
You have a float that is not working properly, as Roy stated. You'll need to change the oil NOW. Do not run the car with raw gas mixing with the oil. Check the plugs for the wet ones. This will tell you which carb is malfunctioning.
Plus you may be washing down the cylinder walls. I would put a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and rotate the engine after the oil change. Additionally, you may want to make sure there is no gas ponding in the exhaust. I have seen mufflers exploded. Good luck.
Vogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:30 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page Raw gas coming out of tailpipe on 54 vette

Tags
54, coming, corvette, exhaust, gas, gasoline, parts, pipe, pouring, raw, steering, tail, tailpipe, vette, wheel