C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Art Morrison's 1960 "3G" Corvette (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
silvercamaro
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1snake
I've seen the car several times while it was being built and after it was finished. There was a thread here recently about the cost of paint jobs and some azzwipe stated this car has a $30K paint job. Sorry but the body seams are very visible and the metallic could have been laid better by Stevie Wonder.

Jim
Jim, you are really showing your ignorance. The car was appraised for nearly the amount he was offered for it, and he did indeed turn it down. Now, why would a car be appraised for that much if the paint and seams were as awful as you say? Or, why would it win the Grand Tourismo @ SEMA with it's "Stevie Wonder" paint job? How about this: Why don't you put down your own cars instead of trash-talking other people's. Sound good? Great, moving on.

I'm hoping videos like this will encourage more people to drive their cars and have fun. IMO, that's what they are there for. Drive and have fun!

Last edited by silvercamaro; 10-11-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Nick D.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silvercamaro
Jim, you are really showing your ignorance. The car was appraised for nearly the amount he was offered for it, and he did indeed turn it down. Now, why would a car be appraised for that much if the paint and seams were as awful as you say? Or, why would it win the Grand Tourismo @ SEMA with it's "Stevie Wonder" paint job? How about this: Why don't you put down your own cars instead of trash-talking other people's. Sound good? Great, moving on.

I'm hoping videos like this will encourage more people to drive their cars and have fun. IMO, that's what they are there for. Drive and have fun!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to dust off the PS3 and play some Grand Turismo. Guess which car I'm going to be driving!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
92Callaway
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I LIKE it...& YES, I WOULD DRIVE IT...HARD.

...but Hey, that's just me...

I don't care much for just sitting under an umbrella, while people look at my car...or worrying about a speck of dust, raindrop, or even a stone chip or 2...

(BTW, if you can see the seams, or much of any other details about any of my cars, I'm either sleeping or refueling...LOL)

Performance cars are MEANT to be DRIVEN.
Period.

When you can combine classic styling with modern performance,
in such a sweet blend as we see here,
you have a WINNER, in my book anyway...

'Vintage' automobiles DO serve 2 useful purposes, however;
Gives the dust a place to land,
& keeps the 'collectors' & 'legends' in the grass,
OFF THE ROAD,
& OUT OF MY WAY...LOL

Lil' John

PS. I AM an 'old guy', over 50, but STILL love to RIP IT UP,
(just pick my spots better now...lol)
& I don't plan on quitting while I have breath,
& the means to do so...
Paul Newman was, & will always be, MY HERO.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:02 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 440 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I saw Matt's interview on adamcarolla's carcast. He seems like a cool guy.

That was a very cool video! I wished I could have seen the motor and more of the interior in the video.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:59 PM
0TheSmokingTire
Former Vendor

Well Said Callaway.

Matt's a really good guy. I've been friends with him for two years, and the whole Smoking Tire crew now lives together. He's a good guy, knows a frightening amount about cars, and can drive. After that podcast interview he nicknamed Adam "Tangent" because the conversation drifted more than a 16 yr old in a wet parking lot. But any listener of Adam's podcasts knows that.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:03 PM
gsb321
Cruising

Default 3G Corvette

Beautiful car! Great video, wish I could have been behind the wheel! Art Morrison has done a wonderful job combining heritage, horsepower and handling. I love rodstorations, you get the classic looks with today's power and handling without all the battery draining electronics that are on my C5 and my wife's C6.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM
92Callaway
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
I saw Matt's interview on adamcarolla's carcast. He seems like a cool guy.

That was a very cool video! I wished I could have seen the motor and more of the interior in the video.
I agree wholeheartedly with Jim;
It would be great to see a 'walkaround', with everything opened up...

Lil' John
Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 PM
CraigMorrison
4th Gear

I've seen the car several times while it was being built and after it was finished. There was a thread here recently about the cost of paint jobs and some azzwipe stated this car has a $30K paint job. Sorry but the body seams are very visible and the metallic could have been laid better by Stevie Wonder.

Jim
WOW- So I'm guessing you were dropping by Byers shop when it was painted then or did you drop by the house when Art and I were building it? Way to trash-talk one of the most respected and high quality shops in the NW.

Thanks for the comments guys - it is a fun car and an exhaustive build that kinda snowballed out of control. Like Matt said on the video it has a 50/50 F/R weight distribution so it's very well balanced and just a kick to drive.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 440 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CraigMorrison
WOW- So I'm guessing you were dropping by Byers shop when it was painted then or did you drop by the house when Art and I were building it? Way to trash-talk one of the most respected and high quality shops in the NW.

Thanks for the comments guys - it is a fun car and an exhaustive build that kinda snowballed out of control. Like Matt said on the video it has a 50/50 F/R weight distribution so it's very well balanced and just a kick to drive.
Where are the pictures of the build? That makes it more exciting. I personally like to see what you all started off with!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
92Callaway
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
Where are the pictures of the build? That makes it more exciting. I personally like to see what you all started off with!

I second THAT request, Jim!!!

Would be SWEET to see this BEAST being 'born'...!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigMorrison

I saw the car at the shop and at Sema years ago. I never really paid much attention to it because I'm not a resto-mod fan. Someone posted here that it had a $30K paint job so when I saw it at GoodGuys this summer, I took a closer look. From 20 feet away you could see the seams that run from the inside of the headlight openings down to the grill opening and in the same area, the metallic was sprayed way too heavy, sagged and shows up as a dark area. I'd seen enough.
I never said a single work about Art's shop. I and many of my car builder buddies have bought many of his products and you're correct, they are the highest quality on the market.

Jim
Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Enjoyed the video and the build, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

I saw the car at the shop and at Sema years ago. I never really paid much attention to it because I'm not a resto-mod fan. Someone posted here that it had a $30K paint job so when I saw it at GoodGuys this summer, I took a closer look. From 20 feet away you could see the seams that run from the inside of the headlight openings down to the grill opening and in the same area, the metallic was sprayed way too heavy, sagged and shows up as a dark area. I'd seen enough.
I never said a single work about Art's shop. I and many of my car builder buddies have bought many of his products and you're correct, they are the highest quality on the market.

Jim
Since you are going to be at SEMA again this year, you might want to stay away from the North Hall entrance, if not you will be asked to give honest opinion on type of car(s) you don't like and what you don't like about them as well as quality...LOL

I've taken on task of quizzing people about quality of vehicles HRIA has selected to be Reception cars in both their Booth and at the front entrance to North Hall as part of the SEMA 2011 Opinion Leader Program.

So if you see an old man standing with a good looking Lady (20 years younger than me) with Lydia on her name tag at the North Hall entrance you might not want to stop and look at car(s) as you will be quized...
Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Since you are going to be at SEMA again this year, you might want to stay away from the North Hall entrance, if not you will be asked to give honest opinion on type of car(s) you don't like and what you don't like about them as well as quality...LOL

I've taken on task of quizzing people about quality of vehicles HRIA has selected to be Reception cars in both their Booth and at the front entrance to North Hall as part of the SEMA 2011 Opinion Leader Program.

So if you see an old man standing with a good looking Lady (20 years younger than me) with Lydia on her name tag at the North Hall entrance you might not want to stop and look at car(s) as you will be quized...
Having been invited, and going, to SEMA for the last few decades, I'll be happy to give my opinion. I've built, including paint, several nationally recognized cars so I feel qualified to judge the quality of ANY build.
In your avatar, which one is you? I'll keep my eye open for you. There are so many "booth babes" that I never get a look at their name tags so Lydia really isn't much of a help.
See ya in couple of weeks.

Jim
Old 10-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Having been invited, and going, to SEMA for the last few decades, I'll be happy to give my opinion. I've built, including paint, several nationally recognized cars so I feel qualified to judge the quality of ANY build.
In your avatar, which one is you? I'll keep my eye open for you. There are so many "booth babes" that I never get a look at their name tags so Lydia really isn't much of a help.
See ya in couple of weeks.

Jim
Lydia is not a Booth Babe, she will standing with me near the North Hall entrance where the taxis drop off people.

I'm the good looking one with hat in the Avatar...
Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
I'm the good looking one with hat in the Avatar...
They are both very attractive, in a "Deliverance" sort of way. Can you be more specific?

Get notified of new replies

To Art Morrison's 1960 "3G" Corvette (Video)

Old 10-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

They are both very attractive, in a "Deliverance" sort of way. Can you be more specific?
The other one has a cap on...

I'll be wearing my flat lander T-Shirt.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

I'll introduce myself.

Jim
Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 AM
CraigMorrison
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 92Callaway

I second THAT request, Jim!!!

Would be SWEET to see this BEAST being 'born'...!!!
Here are some pics-
http://www.artmorrison.com/gallery/m...g2_itemId=8373

A lot more pics-
http://public.fotki.com/CraigMorriso...vette_project/

This is what we started with-
resale red with a lot of different colors underneath.

one of my favorite pics just before it went off to paint and body.

Quick Reply: Art Morrison's 1960 "3G" Corvette (Video)