C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

John Pirkle, Sr

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Duntov 54
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I just spoke and purchased a starter from him three weeks ago. He sounded fine. Super nice guy. Godspeed John!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

John and I were both Army pilots in the early 1960's, and had a great time re-living those days back in July at the NCRS National Convention; most folks weren't aware of his outstanding 27-year military career. He was a great guy, a true gentleman, and we'll all miss him.
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

RIP. .. Condolences to the family.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You finallly gone home John. Years ago I purchased a starter for my 67 BB from you. Your spirit rides in my car.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Roeich
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Spoke to him last week. He was in the process of restoring an alternator for me. I paid him for it back in July. I really thought he was moving slowly on the alt, guess he wasn't feeling well. Very nice man. Sad to hear. The Corvette world will miss you John.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Very sorry to hear of John's passing, he was an integral part of the vintage Corvette community and NCRS.

Paul
Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,456 Likes on 741 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

He will truely be missed.
Sad day.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Dick Whittington
Racer

Originally Posted by Roeich
Spoke to him last week. He was in the process of restoring an alternator for me. I paid him for it back in July. I really thought he was moving slowly on the alt, guess he wasn't feeling well. Very nice man. Sad to hear. The Corvette world will miss you John.
The restoration business that he founded will continue under the tutelage of John Jr. It had been Sr's intention for almost 20 years to build the business, and when he retired, or passed, that Jr could take it over. I have no doubt that the same quality, attention to detail, etc will still come out of that shop. It may take them a few days to get over Sr's passing, but things will go one.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Another true artisan has went home to be with his Lord and Saviour
Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

God Bless
Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

It has been a difficult 6 weeks of losing good Corvette friends.

We will miss you John. You are in good company now with Zora and other Corvette people that have built our hobby to what it is today.

God Bless your family.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Im sorry to hear that john has passed. I think I bout some Corvette products off John. Nice guy ! Stewy
Old 10-04-2011, 03:45 PM
gripdad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My condolences to the Pirkle family. John just rebuilt my starter a couple of months ago. His work was quality and he stood behind it.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RIP Mr. Pirkle.

I am a native of Augusta and about once a week I'll check the obits in the Chronical. I saw this in the newspaper before I saw it here on CF and it stopped me in my tracks.............

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/aug...&pid=153927465

John Pirkle | Visit Guest Book
MARTINEZ, Ga. - Col. John E. Pirkle, 73, husband of 51 years to Faye Pirkle, entered into rest on Friday, September 30, 2011. A funeral service will be held at 11:00 AM on Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at Warren Baptist Church with Rev. Lane Lowery and Rev. David McKinley officiating. Burial with military honors will be held at 1:00 PM on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at the Georgia National Cemetery in Canton, GA. A native of Cumming, GA, John graduated from Forsyth County High School. He attended North Georgia College from 1956-1958 and graduated from the University of Georgia in 1960 with a degree in Business. He entered into active duty with the Army in February, 1961 and served until retirement in August, 1988. John was a graduate of the Signal Officers Basic and Advanced courses at Fort Monmouth, NJ, Command and General College at Ft. Leavenworth, KS, Rotary Wing Aviator Course and Fixed Wing Transition Course at Ft. Rucker, AL, Joint Command, Communication, and Intelligence Course at Norfolk, VA. John was the recipient of many awards including The Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Two Awards of the Meritorious Service Medal, Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry, and Two Awards of the Bronze Star. He was a Senior Army Aviator with more than 3,000flight hours in both Helicopter and Fixed Wing Aircraft. John served in a variety of assignments in the U.S., Germany, and Vietnam. He was a helicopter flight instructor at Fort Rucker, AL, where he taught U.S. and allied officers to fly. He served two combat tours in Vietnam where he commanded an assault support Helicopter Company (CH-47 Chinook). While stationed at Fort Gordon, he commanded the largest tactical Signal Battalion in the Army, a unit comprised of 1120 personnel, 220 vehicles, and communication assemblages. John served on the Army staff in the Pentagon, the Defense Communication Agency in Arlington, VA, and as TRADOC system manager for Combat Net Radio at Fort Gordon. In these jobs, he was responsible for funding, development, and fielding of critical communications systems to support the Army and the National Defense System. After retiring from the Army, John started Masters City Classis Car Parts, which specializes in restoration parts for the 1953-1982 Corvettes and Chevrolets. He was a member of the National Corvette Restorations Society since 1987. John was a Level 400 Master Judge, NCRS, and a Bloomington Judge and Instructor. He was a life member of the National Corvette Museum and was the NCRS representative to the Museum Board of Directors for over 10 years. John was recognized as the NCRS member of the year in 2001. He was a member of Warren Baptist Church where he served as a deacon and went on several mission trips. He was a Gideon and a member of the Martinez-Evans Rotary Club where he served as Secretary for 12 years. John was a Paul Harris Fellow and was Rotarian of the Year in 2001 and also received the Lee Arrendale Award for Vocational Excellence. In addition to his wife, John is survived by his son, John E. Pirkle, Jr. and wife Debbie of Martinez, his daughter, Myra Smeak and husband Russell of Evans, one brother, George E. Pirkle and wife Karen of Cumming, GA, niece, Charity McDaniel and husband Blake, four grandchildren, Patricia Jean PJ Pirkle, Logan Pirkle, Rebecca Smeak, Mitchell Smeak, and several extended family members. Pallbearers will be the United States Army. Honorary pallbearers will be Fellow Rotarians and Deacons of Warren Baptist Church. The family will receive friends from 6:00 PM until 8:00 PM on Monday, October 3, 2011 at the funeral home. If so desired, memorials may be made to Warren Baptist Church 2020 Vision or Warren Baptist Church Missions, 3203 Washington Rd., Augusta, GA 30907. Please sign the guestbook and send condolences at: www.plattsfuneralhome.com Platt's Funeral Home, 337 N. Belair Rd., Evans, GA 30809 The Augusta Chronicle-October 3, 2011
]
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

Wow....had no idea of the background that John had. An impressive man.

Quick Reply: John Pirkle, Sr