C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Water Temp gauge replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
busvette
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Temp gauge replacement

O.K. so I accidentally shorted out the wire on the water temp sending unit which cooked my temp gauge. I order and installed a new one but when the car reaches operating temp the gauge reads 240. I know this is not right because the car always ran at 180 and never above. So I needed to correct the needle position. Someone told me to remove the gauge so I could get to it and hook it up with jumper wires then when the car reaches temp to hold the needle shaft with a pair of plyers and remove and reposition the needle. I did this and now the needle does nothing in either direction regardless of the temp. Let the car cool and positioned the needle to 0 and started and warmed it up. Once I new it was at operating temp again I looked and the needle was at 120. so I repositioned again and the needle won't drop as the car cools. Get the picture? Does anyone know of a good way to recalibrate this thing? I would have thought they would have come set correctly to begin with. Any help from someone who may have had this problem will be greatly appreciated. By the way it is in a 64 Coupe.

Thanks
Don
Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You may have to send the gauge out and have it recailbrated.......or buy a new gauge. I had the same problem when I installed a new gauge. I bought and tried several different temp. sending units, and they all read high. I finally bought a Duralast TU5 sending unit from AutoZone for 7 bucks, and it's only 5 degrees high when compared to the temp reading on my IR gun.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
C2Driver
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Or, you can go to Corvette Central's website and order this "TEMPERATURE SENDER RESISTOR - VARIABLE - Part # 301290 - 29.95"

Get notified of new replies

To Water Temp gauge replacement

Quick Reply: Water Temp gauge replacement