C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 Drum Brakes Work.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:37 AM
QIK59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Amazing how much book knowledge is regurgitated on here.
All I know is I don't have to ask very many (any ?) questions that pertain to actually doing repairs on my car(s).
Old 09-02-2011, 12:53 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

This is dumbest thread I have ever read. Yes, the stock drum brakes will work when following a stock 55 chevy. Following a modern car with discs and wide radials in a panic stop, your next post will be " my car totaled". I have owned my car for 45 years. I have always raced it. After the first run NO brakes. The only way to stop was the transmission. Keep dreaming.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,085 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I have the disc brake conversion on the front of my '61 installed by some previous owner...its an early "kit" and uses 1973 Camaro components bolted up to the original king pin arrangement. It is a notch above drum brakes but just barely.

I just replaced all the parts - rebuilt calipers and new pads on both sides...even so panic stops with this rig are no fun...I keep a healthy following distance from anything...
Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by John S 1961
locking brakes, skidding tires do not provide the shortest stopping distance (all cars are anti lock now).

Drums cannot provide the same stopping distance as discs.
I think it was Hot Rod Magazine that road tested a new '63 Corvette. Stopping distance from 60 mph was 132 feet. Four years later, they road tested a new '67 Corvette. Had disc brakes. Stopping distance for the '67 was, (surprise!) 133 feet or one foot longer than the drum brakes.

It's true, many new cars can stop about twenty feet less than that from 60 mph because of improved tires/suspension, but if you keep your cell phone in your pocket, your eyes on the road and follow the "two second" rule for following distance, your chances of running in to anything because of your skinny tires/drum brakes are practically nil!

When I'm driving out on the road, I never worry about stopping. I do worry about the DA sitting on my back bumper!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:51 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I have the disc brake conversion on the front of my '61 installed by some previous owner...its an early "kit" and uses 1973 Camaro components bolted up to the original king pin arrangement. It is a notch above drum brakes but just barely.

I just replaced all the parts - rebuilt calipers and new pads on both sides...even so panic stops with this rig are no fun...I keep a healthy following distance from anything...
Frankie, all disc brakes are not created equal. The sliding caliper type single piston disc brake is (as you eloquently pointed out) ALMOST WORTHLESS. Please review the StopTech homepage for description of good and bad disc brakes. All race disc brakes and most hi-performance street disc brakes have multiple pistons pressing performance friction material from both sides of the rotor. The STOCK C2 disc brakes are actually quite good in design and function. However, they are heavy, and prone to corrosion in the piston bores, so most have been sleeved with stainless steel. Interestingly, my racecar uses STOCK C2 disc brakes, while my street car uses more expensive Stoptech 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears gripping 14" floating two piece rotors
Old 09-02-2011, 11:52 AM
jackal396
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vetrod62
This is dumbest thread I have ever read. Yes, the stock drum brakes will work when following a stock 55 chevy. Following a modern car with discs and wide radials in a panic stop, your next post will be " my car totaled". I have owned my car for 45 years. I have always raced it. After the first run NO brakes. The only way to stop was the transmission. Keep dreaming.

Stop holding back Jim.

jp
Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The bottom line: You folks that converted drum to disc have removed a significant part of history from your vehicle without weighing in all the facts. It looks old (drum brakes) and out dated, so it can't be any good or safe, correct? Again, racing disc brakes are superior, as for normal driving on the road as Mike previously stated, using common sense and good driving skills (that should be a given) the drum brakes are equal in most cases. Now the reason you converted guy's are against drum brakes is because you don't want to look bad, why? You devoted a good portion of your hard earnings to something that’s clearly not superior on the street. Resulting in defending your decision making, no one wants to look bad, and for that we understand. Peace!

Just the way I look at it....

rustylugnuts
Old 09-02-2011, 04:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Frankie, all disc brakes are not created equal. The sliding caliper type single piston disc brake is (as you eloquently pointed out) ALMOST WORTHLESS. Please review the StopTech homepage for description of good and bad disc brakes. All race disc brakes and most hi-performance street disc brakes have multiple pistons pressing performance friction material from both sides of the rotor. The STOCK C2 disc brakes are actually quite good in design and function. However, they are heavy, and prone to corrosion in the piston bores, so most have been sleeved with stainless steel. Interestingly, my racecar uses STOCK C2 disc brakes, while my street car uses more expensive Stoptech 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears gripping 14" floating two piece rotors
i THINK these were better on my 62

than these.

Bill
Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,085 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Well I've done several classic car disc brake conversions (mostly on early Mustangs) and they seem to have better stopping power than my current C1 conversion. Its not completely awful, and it IS better than drums...but if a previous owner hadn't already done the conversion for me I would have looked for something more efficient for sure.

Right now - I am not intentionally looking for another project...however several have parked themselves at my door recently uninvited.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:42 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Originally Posted by wmf62
i THINK these were better on my 62

than these.

Bill
Not to mention the wheel adapter spacers.... Using those puppies would put the tires on the outside of the fender wells wow!!! So much for safety, kind of defeating the purpose, that’s like going from the pot into the fire…

rustylugnuts
Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts
Not to mention the wheel adapter spacers.... Using those puppies would put the tires on the outside of the fender wells wow!!! So much for safety, kind of defeating the purpose, that’s like going from the pot into the fire…

rustylugnuts
needed those just to get the front track width back to where it should be...

they're billet aluminum and other than having to keep an eye on front wheel bearings, i don't see anything unsafe about them.
Bill
Old 09-02-2011, 05:42 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

How in the h3ll did the front end get soooooooooo short! I heard of tubing out the rear to house over sized tires/racing slicks...... but never the front end....

Your not serious....

rustylugnuts
Old 09-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I wonder how many drum vs disc threads I've seen in my few years here? I'd guess a dozen at least. And they all go on and on and on......boring!
For future reference for anybody so inclined.....check the search function, and read away to your hearts content!.....PLEASE!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I wonder how many drum vs disc threads I've seen in my few years here? I'd guess a dozen at least. And they all go on and on and on......boring!
For future reference for anybody so inclined.....check the search function, and read away to your hearts content!.....PLEASE!
So why do you torture yourself?

There's nothing on this forum or any other old car, automotive forum that hasn't been hashed over a 1000 times over.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by MikeM
So why do you torture yourself?

There's nothing on this forum or any other old car, automotive forum that hasn't been hashed over a 1000 times over.
Ya, thanks for that info, I am reborn!

It's not torture, I just skim over the same old, same old. But, for efficiency sake I just wish that any new members would check the archives, and the veteran guys would direct them there to help them out!

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 09-02-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

How in the h3ll did the front end get soooooooooo short! I heard of tubing out the rear to house over sized tires/racing slicks...... but never the front end....

Your not serious....

rustylugnuts
rims are 7" with 4.5" backspacing to match those on the rear.
Bill

btw, i have disc brakes on the rear too

and a dual m/c

Last edited by wmf62; 09-03-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

The bottom line: You folks that converted drum to disc have removed a significant part of history from your vehicle without weighing in all the facts. It looks old (drum brakes) and out dated, so it can't be any good or safe, correct? Again, racing disc brakes are superior, as for normal driving on the road as Mike previously stated, using common sense and good driving skills (that should be a given) the drum brakes are equal in most cases. Now the reason you converted guy's are against drum brakes is because you don't want to look bad, why? You devoted a good portion of your hard earnings to something that’s clearly not superior on the street. Resulting in defending your decision making, no one wants to look bad, and for that we understand. Peace!

Just the way I look at it....

rustylugnuts
That is just plain BS in so many ways. Screw history, driving the car without crashing or killing yourself is more important. What about getting into the steering colume stuff?? You can always put it back to stock when you decide to make it a museum piece.

My system is from MP 2003, and it stops 500-1000% better than the drum brakes. I run common street pads for cold and hot braking with the common single 70s GM caliper. Not race stuff. If some one's car only works a little better than drums, something in the system is wrong. May be the MC diameter?? I can stop from about 120 in repeated stops in one third the distance of the drum brakes cold. After that no brakes with the drums.

The reason this keeps coming up is, people new to Solid Axle Corvettes ( how is that Tom) do not have the experience that we have had with our cars for 40 plus years. You do not have to read these "boring posts", it is not in the rules. I assume you have had your Solid Axle Corvette for a long time and have tried both systems to give an unbiased opinion on the matter. How many years have you run disc brakes on your car??

As far as normal driving, here in NJ, normal driving is 75-80 mph on the interstate. Any less, and an 18 wheeler will crush you. A panic stop can happen at any time. With drums you are screwed, with a proper disc brake conversion, assuming you reflexes are good, you should be OK.

The skinny tires, bias or radials, and drum brakes, put you at a major disadvantage. Telling new owners that the drum brakes are satisfactory, when their only experience is modern cars , is irresponsible.

Cost was not a factor. In fact, cheap for the performance and safety gain .

Last edited by vetrod62; 09-03-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To '61 Drum Brakes Work.....

Old 09-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

For 99.9% of the people posting here. the OE drum brakes are more than adequate. Multiple 120-0 stops ? Too funny, I'd bet most cars never see over 70 mph, if that.(you know, the truck suspension and all) When is the last time you needed multiple high speed panic stops in a row on the street ?

You probably stand a better chance of getting struck by lightning in a cave, than having an accident caused by drum brakes.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:28 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

That is just plain BS in so many ways. Screw history, driving the car without crashing or killing yourself is more important.

My system is from MP 2003, and it stops 500-1000% better than the drum brakes.

If some one's car only works a little better than drums, something in the system is wrong.

I can stop from about 120 in repeated stops in one third the distance of the drum brakes cold. After that no brakes with the drums.

As far as normal driving, here in NJ, normal driving is 75-80 mph on the interstate. Any less, and an 18 wheeler will crush you. A panic stop can happen at any time. With drums you are screwed, with a proper disc brake conversion, assuming you reflexes are good, you should be OK.

The skinny tires, bias or radials, and drum brakes, put you at a major disadvantage. Telling new owners that the drum brakes are satisfactory, when their only experience is modern cars , is irresponsible.
I've heard on the news there's lots of problems in New Jersey. Didn't know about these problems though.

Have you given any thought to mounting a 50 cal. gun turret on your hood and deck lid so you can make these other wackos keep a safe distance? Seems that would be a little more effective than the disc brake conversion.

Last edited by MikeM; 09-03-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

That is just plain BS in so many ways. Screw history, driving the car without crashing or killing yourself is more important. What about getting into the steering colume stuff?? You can always put it back to stock when you decide to make it a museum piece.

My system is from MP 2003, and it stops 500-1000% better than the drum brakes. I run common street pads for cold and hot braking with the common single 70s GM caliper. Not race stuff. If some one's car only works a little better than drums, something in the system is wrong. May be the MC diameter?? I can stop from about 120 in repeated stops in one third the distance of the drum brakes cold. After that no brakes with the drums.

The reason this keeps coming up is, people new to Solid Axle Corvettes ( how is that Tom) do not have the experience that we have had with our cars for 40 plus years. You do not have to read these "boring posts", it is not in the rules. I assume you have had your Solid Axle Corvette for a long time and have tried both systems to give an unbiased opinion on the matter. How many years have you run disc brakes on your car??

Cost was not a factor. In fact, cheap for the performance and safety gain .
And driving at 80 mph in a posted 55 mph zone is not irresponsible…. I have been driving up and down the Black Horse Pike, all Jersey’s roads, including Garden state Parkway and in every state in the USA (but four) over the past 42 years. 500 to 1000% better stopping then drum brakes..... Where are you getting these numbers from.....??? Forget it, you preach to the younger crowd! They love this crap. Have a good one!

rustylugnuts

Quick Reply: '61 Drum Brakes Work.....